Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question about blackouts..

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:12 AM

Question with blackouts. I know that college sports, at least college football games, are not subject to blackout on out of market RSN's (via sports pack) like professional sports are (blacked out unless it's a team that your in-market for). This year however, I have noticed some college basketball games that are showing on ESPN3 are blacked out though.. so here is the clarification and where i'm at after research:
--
Any game on ESPN3.com with a [Subject to Blackout] Map may be subject to blackout on RSN's. If you pull up the map, any location in green would be blacked out on RSN's and those people could only watch it on ESPN3.com or Full Court, any locations in black would be able to see it on locals or RSN's (via Sports Pack), correct?
--
Also curious as to why this is the case with college basketball, but not a problem i've ever encountered when watching college football games on the 600's. My understanding was the blackout restrictions were for professional sports only.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,317 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

A bit dated, but this thread may answer some of your questions. http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=1888439#post1888439

#3 OFFLINE   Jive Turkey

Jive Turkey

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

You aren't going to like this (non) answer, but after years of us dealing with this, there still seems to be no way to figure out why some CBB games are blacked out and others are not. It really seems to be the flip of a coin in some cases.

I know how you feel, even if you have FullCourt. There are times where I am forced to watch games on the FC channels--in horrific quality--because they are blacked out on the HD versions in the 600 channels. Other times they are available on both. Once in a strange while, they are actually blacked out on the FC channels while available on RSN's that are not part of my home region. It is really strange.

#4 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

When it's blacked out on Full Court, but you can't find it on a local RSN, it usually means that the game is carried on a local broadcaster either over the air, on a digital subchannel or via a cable only local sports channel.

Blame ESPN for the horriffic quality. Unlike League Pass, Center Ice, Extra Innings or Direct Kick where the content is a remap of the RSN channels, Game Plan and Full Court come directly from ESPN PPV's uplink which isn't available in HD yet. All of the games are shared on 6 ESPN PPV channels, which is why some later games are joined in progress even though DirecTV gives each game a dedicated channel in the EPG. The individual RSNs and local stations that carry the games use an alternate uplink from their syndication arm ESPN Plus that is in HD when available.

#5 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,094 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

When it's blacked out on Full Court, but you can't find it on a local RSN, it usually means that the game is carried on a local broadcaster either over the air, on a digital subchannel or via a cable only local sports channel.

A game can also be blacked out if a local channel has the rights to the game, even if the local channel choses not to exercise that right. We are frequently blacked out of the SEC game of the week on CBS because our local CBS affiliate has the rights to the game but elects to show a regional broadcast of an ACC game instead.

#6 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

Blame ESPN for the horriffic quality. Unlike League Pass, Center Ice, Extra Innings or Direct Kick where the content is a remap of the RSN channels, Game Plan and Full Court come directly from ESPN PPV's uplink which isn't available in HD yet. All of the games are shared on 6 ESPN PPV channels, which is why some later games are joined in progress even though DirecTV gives each game a dedicated channel in the EPG. The individual RSNs and local stations that carry the games use an alternate uplink from their syndication arm ESPN Plus that is in HD when available.

back in 2010?? Directv tried to get them in HD and it seemed get quite far.

I head ESPN said no as they did not want to piss off cable systems.

Now is there a way for ESPN to let Directv remap RSN's or offer the EPSN plus HD feeds?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#7 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

A game can also be blacked out if a local channel has the rights to the game, even if the local channel choses not to exercise that right. We are frequently blacked out of the SEC game of the week on CBS because our local CBS affiliate has the rights to the game but elects to show a regional broadcast of an ACC game instead.

If you're talking about WRAL, last I heard they usually put any pre-empted SEC on CBS games on their subchannel 5.2

Protected By... spam firewall...And...