Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper showing 5 tuners...

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

I have Primetime Anytime set to off. Right now I am seeing 5 tuners. 4 of them are on ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC. This happened the other night. I had to do a reboot to make it go away. Is this some kind of software bug?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   saberfly

saberfly

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

I've noticed mine too. It goes away by itself. Seems like it does it only when I am recording something during PTAT time slot on a PTAT channel. My PTAT is set to off also.

#3 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

With the latest software update, if you are recording or viewing a network channel, it will display up to 6 tuners available since the local channels are fed from 1 tuner. This allows other receivers to view the different network channels but only use 1 tuner. Thanks.

I have Primetime Anytime set to off. Right now I am seeing 5 tuners. 4 of them are on ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC. This happened the other night. I had to do a reboot to make it go away. Is this some kind of software bug?

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,842 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

then it should be renamed as "channels" perhaps ? why confuse customers with such artificial number ? for new PR ?

#5 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:00 PM

Ray,

The other night I was recording 2 Channels. The hopper was also showing the 4 networks channels and REFUSED to change channels. It was acting as if Primetime Anytime was activated. The only way I could switch channels was to reboot.

#6 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

I have seen this for several days, it seems you have to change channel on the Hopper to shut if off. I have tried it a few times on two different Joeys, but the channel would not change. However, putting one of the PTAT channels on either Hopper or Joey turns it on.

#7 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

This is some kind of bug, right?

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,586 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

This was mentioned at least once (because I remember reading about it) in the firmware thread:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=211198

It is a feature, not a bug.

The intent, as best I understand it... The same thing they used for recording PTAT during primetime for the LiLs also allowed you to watch those different channels at the same time. People asked "why can't I watch the channels like this all the time?" so Dish has now obliged.

I really don't see what kind of problem is caused by making the PTAT feature of sharing one tuner for the "big four" LiLs usable all day. It seems like a feature everyone would welcome, not something to complain about.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#9 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

Personally I really like the feature. Sure, there are some bugs, but what's new? Just like most of the other bugs, Dish will have them ironed out in due time.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,842 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

As a feature, this is a good addition, but it shouldn't incorrectly state "tuners".

Logically, technically and honestly it should be named DIFFERENTLY. "Streams" perhaps.

#11 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

Here is my situation the other night.

1. recording Nick
2. recording Cartoon Network
3. ABC
4. CBS
5. NBC
6. Fox

I could not tune to my RSN to watch the Hawks. When I would try, it would take me to the screen showing what the tuners/streams were doing. So what did I need to do to change the channel again?

#12 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

Here is my situation the other night.

1. recording Nick
2. recording Cartoon Network
3. ABC
4. CBS
5. NBC
6. Fox

I could not tune to my RSN to watch the Hawks. When I would try, it would take me to the screen showing what the tuners/streams were doing. So what did I need to do to change the channel again?

Did you try joining the non-network channels with the units viewing the networks, then selecting the rsn?

#13 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

nope. So I need to go to Nick, even though it was recording, and select a different channel?

#14 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

nope. So I need to go to Nick, even though it was recording, and select a different channel?

From what I experienced, you need to get all the tuners off the four networks. Then the Hopper reverts back to three tuners with one being available and then can be used for what you want. It may be a new feature, but it does seem to have a bug in it.

#15 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 926 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

Add the USB Over the Air tuner for $30 and now you have 7 Tuners, 3 are Virtual. I have Two Hoppers in my house. I can record 14 things at once now.
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#16 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

Add the USB Over the Air tuner for $30 and now you have 7 Tuners, 3 are Virtual. I have Two Hoppers in my house. I can record 14 things at once now.

Wouldn't four be duplicate recordings? I would put it that you can record 11 different programs at the same time.

#17 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

Wouldn't four be duplicate recordings? I would put it that you can record 11 different programs at the same time.

3 Hoppers can do 15 :P .

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,842 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

3 Hoppers can do 15 :P .

how ? records ?

#19 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

how ? records ?

Hopper 1:
2 SAT + 1 OTA + 4 PTAT

Hopper 2:
3 SAT + 1 OTA

Hopper 3:
3 SAT + 1 OTA

2 + 1 + 4 + 3 + 1 + 3 + 1 = 15 :)

#20 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,842 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

oh ! I missed the number "3" ... anyone has three H ?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...