Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper showing 5 tuners...

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,254 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

Here is my situation the other night.

1. recording Nick
2. recording Cartoon Network
3. ABC
4. CBS
5. NBC
6. Fox

I could not tune to my RSN to watch the Hawks. When I would try, it would take me to the screen showing what the tuners/streams were doing. So what did I need to do to change the channel again?

Two ways this happens:

1. Was it during primetime and PTAT was enabled to record those primetime channels? IF so, then that 3rd tuner is in use recording the LiLs so all of your tuners are recording.

2. Do you have a Joey? If any Joey is linked to that Hopper and turned on and tuned to one of the LiLs, then you would have to turn off such Joeys before the Hopper can completely release that LiL tuner.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

What I do when I'm not here

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,254 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

As a feature, this is a good addition, but it shouldn't incorrectly state "tuners".

Logically, technically and honestly it should be named DIFFERENTLY. "Streams" perhaps.

I can't speak to the documentation or the GUI... but I thought from the screens I have seen, I don't remember seeing the word "tuner" anywhere on that TV Viewing Status screen. Am I wrong?

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

#28 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

I can't speak to the documentation or the GUI... but I thought from the screens I have seen, I don't remember seeing the word "tuner" anywhere on that TV Viewing Status screen. Am I wrong?

Yep all it says is "Services in use - select an option below:" and it calls them "Events."

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#29 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,253 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

With the latest software update, if you are recording or viewing a network channel, it will display up to 6 tuners available since the local channels are fed from 1 tuner. This allows other receivers to view the different network channels but only use 1 tuner. Thanks.

from the horse's mouth :D

#30 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

PTAT has never been on. I have two Joeys. I am not sure if they were on or not. I will check the next time it happens.

#31 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

PTAT does not need to be enabled in order to trigger the anytime PTAT function. At anytime, with PTAT enabled or disabled, if you go to a big 4 network it will pull in all 4 networks on one tuner like it does during PTAT evening hours. The big difference here is that the PTAT anytime is NOT recording anything. It is just pulling in all 4 networks on 1 tuner and other viewers can access the big 4 networks at the same time and still only use 1 tuner. Once you change the channel off of the big 4 network then you will see that all is back to normal and only 3 tuners are listed in the TV Viewing Status screen.

#32 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,254 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

PTAT has never been on. I have two Joeys. I am not sure if they were on or not. I will check the next time it happens.

If it was outside of primetime (or as you say your PTAT recording is disabled)... then it was most likely one or both of the Joeys also tuned to a LiL that then prevented the release of that tuner.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

#33 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,254 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

from the horse's mouth :D

Glad you said "horse's mouth"...

So... When Ray C says "tuners" instead of "events" you'd hold him to that... but you do expect us to realize you aren't saying Ray C is actually a "horse" right?

I mean... you used a common reference to convey some information, though what you said is not entirely accurate.

i.e. There aren't 6 tuners, and Ray C is likely not an actual horse.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

#34 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,959 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

Nope, Ray C is a CSR ... and in the history of DBSTalk a CSR has never been wrong. :D

A single Hopper without OTA can tune six channels at the same time - as long as four of those channels are the customer's PTAT channels. This is an upgrade from the original released Hopper that could only tune six channels at the same time during PTAT recording.

I can see why someone would look at a screen where six channels are tuned and say there are six tuners ... they are looking from an end user perspective and not the technical "behind the scenes" way that those six channels actually made it to that screen (via three RF tuners). "I can tune six channels at the same time."

As long as the limitations on that statement are understood it shouldn't be a major issue.

#35 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,253 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

Glad you said "horse's mouth"...

So... When Ray C says "tuners" instead of "events" you'd hold him to that... but you do expect us to realize you aren't saying Ray C is actually a "horse" right?

I mean... you used a common reference to convey some information, though what you said is not entirely accurate.

tsk, tsk, tsk ...

#36 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,254 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

I should have put a smiley in my post :)

At least the humor came through.

I was trying not to pick on P Smith or Ray C too much there! :)

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

#37 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

Mine seems to switch from showing 6 tuners to 3, randomly. 1 hopper, 2 joeys, ptat enabled except Saturdays. Right now pressing red button, shows 4 local ptat channels, shows watching one in living room (I'm not), and one on USA also in living room (I'm watching).

Earlier today it only showed 3 tuners, no ptat on the list.

Just seems odd that ptat shows up as being watched, when its not. This also makes no tuners available from time to time, when nothing is being watched or recorded in prime time.

Last night during prime time it showed 6 as usual, but showed the other 2 as being used, 2 showing in living room. I could not change the channel from bedroom to anything other than those 6. Only 2 of us, not using 2nd Joey at all.

A reboot usually fixes things for a while.

#38 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

I would be willing to bet that one of the Joeys in the house is turned to ABC,CBS,FOX,NBC when this happens. The 3rd tuner will display all 4 big 4 networks when any viewer is turned to one of those channels.

#39 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

Will this happen if a Joey "was" tuned, but then turned off? Our second Joey is almost always off. So I assume any PTAT is always "Living Room" (where the hopper is), so there can be 2 "Living Room" programs going on.

#40 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

Lets say you are watching Fox on the Hopper and someone else is watching CBS on the Joey and your other 2 tuners are recording programs. So Joey and Hopper viewers are using 1 tuner with this PTAT 24/7 feature. If you try to change the channel on the Hopper it will most likely display the TV Viewing Status screen because it is trying to change the channel but there is no free tuner. In the case that this happens, go and turn of the Joey off (standby screen) and then try the Hopper again and you should be able to change the channel once the Joey is no longer using that tuner.

#41 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,254 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

In cases like this there are two culprits:

1. The Joey is tuned to a LiL.

2. The Hopper has one of its PiP "windows" tuned to a LiL.

IF your Joey was definitely off, then I suspect pressing PiP on your Hopper would have revealed that you still had the Hopper tuned to a LiL even if you currently were watching USA.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

Protected By... spam firewall...And...