Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 upgrade

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

I've been thinking about upgrading my equipment. I currently have 1-HR24, 1-HR20, 1-HR23. I have a SWM-8 which I installed myself and have whole home DVR service but via my home Ethernet network, not DECA, which I also installed myself. So I am thinking about upgrading to an HR34/C31s and having DirecTV install a whole home DECA officially supported network.

What would be the main benefits of going to an HR34 and DECA vs. what I have now?

5 tuners is more than enough. Given that should I replace my equipment with an HR34 and 2 C31s? Or outside having more tuners should I keep any of what I have instead? What would be the best mix of new and existing equipment?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,921 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

Having five tuners on one box is a treat for fearless recording. I'd personally keep the HR24, and replace the '23 with C31 or H25.

DECA installs are generally rock solid, and doesn't impinge in anyway on your home network.

Good luck, and please come back and post what you decide after the installation.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,674 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

It's not just the 5 tuners. You get 100 series links, PIP. There also are more intangibles. There have been some new features that are at least right now limited to the 34 like the large external drive support. There could be more in the future.

Do you use OTA on the HR20?

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

Unless something's giving you problems and you have to have PIP, I'd probably keep what you have.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#5 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,779 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

Here's the way I look at it. A DVR costs just as much monthly as a non-DVR and with an HR2X you can view the content on an HR34. Why not just keep your HR24 and HR23 and have all DVRs. Lots of storage space and with an HR34 in the mix you could record 9 things at one time should the need arise.

Get more for your money.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#6 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I don't use OTA. Not all that interested in PIP.

Nothing is really giving me problems with my existing setup. It's working pretty well. Maybe if nothing else DECA could better optimize my home network (though I am not having playback issues over Ethernet).

I think I am most interested in potentially having all my series management on one device but accessible from all my televisions (both viewing and scheduling). I have 6 tuners today with 3 HDDVRs, but managing series when there are conflicts, putting them on different devices and having to go to different locations to view and delete a series is a bit of a pain that I thought might be alleviated with an HR34/C31 approach. That's probably my biggest concern with my existing setup.

#7 OFFLINE   PMA

PMA

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts
  • LocationLivermore, California

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

I believe I've seen info on another forum that the H34 supports newer audio formats such as Dolby Digital Plus (7.1). Does this portend a possible audio upgrade by DirecTV in the future? I recall that 5.1 wasn't always available and that only PPV movies had it to start. I'm just curious if DirecTV may offer 7.1 content in the future if the hardware is plumbed for it.

#8 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

Yes, that's certainly an advantage with the HR34, so I guess it comes down to how much you'll have to pay. If you can get one for free I'd probably do it, but odds are you'll have to pay $100 - $300. For me, I'd rather pocket that money and deal with the "inconvenience" of managing separate lists.

Either way, I'd echo Runner and say keep the HR34 and HR23 too.

#9 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

If I keep the HR24 and HR23 am I able to manage series recordings from those devices that would actually be using the HR34's tuner and drive? Just wondering how the series management would work if I used those devices as clients to an HR34 rather than C31s.

#10 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

I believe I've seen info on another forum that the H34 supports newer audio formats such as Dolby Digital Plus (7.1). Does this portend a possible audio upgrade by DirecTV in the future? I recall that 5.1 wasn't always available and that only PPV movies had it to start. I'm just curious if DirecTV may offer 7.1 content in the future if the hardware is plumbed for it.

First, Dolby Digital Plus is not a newer format.
Second, while DD+ has the capability of more streams it does not equal 7.1
Third, I don't believe the HR34 has DD+
Fourth, even if it did, it doesn't mean D* will be offering 7.1 content (lossless audio - which, again, is not the same as DD+), mainly because it's not available from any providers.
Fifth, 5.1 audio coupled with a good a/v receiver and sound format (i.e. PLIIx) will sound just as good in 7.1 as a 7.1 track will (lossy vs lossy, or lossless vs lossless), so there's no reason to offer 7.1

#11 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,965 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

DirecTV Genie whole-home DVR review:

http://www.engadget....ome-dvr-review/

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#12 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

If I keep the HR24 and HR23 am I able to manage series recordings from those devices that would actually be using the HR34's tuner and drive? Just wondering how the series management would work if I used those devices as clients to an HR34 rather than C31s.

You can watch shows on any of them that were recorded on any of the others, but you can't manage the series lists that are on another receiver or set up a series list on anything other than the HRXX you're working from.

#13 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

You can watch shows on any of them that were recorded on any of the others, but you can't manage the series lists that are on another receiver or set up a series list on anything other than the HRXX you're working from.

Thanks. So to clarify, if I had a C31 I could add/delete/manage series from it (that would be recorded on the HR34) but if I had an HR24 I could not add/delete/manage series that would be recorded on the HR34. I could only manage series that would be recorded on the HR24.

If that is the case not sure what the advantage of keeping my HR24 and HR23 and adding an HR34 would be besides more tuners really (which I don't need).

#14 OFFLINE   PMA

PMA

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts
  • LocationLivermore, California

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

First, Dolby Digital Plus is not a newer format.
Second, while DD+ has the capability of more streams it does not equal 7.1
Third, I don't believe the HR34 has DD+
Fourth, even if it did, it doesn't mean D* will be offering 7.1 content (lossless audio - which, again, is not the same as DD+), mainly because it's not available from any providers.
Fifth, 5.1 audio coupled with a good a/v receiver and sound format (i.e. PLIIx) will sound just as good in 7.1 as a 7.1 track will (lossy vs lossy, or lossless vs lossless), so there's no reason to offer 7.1

Newer was probably a bad word choice but I was thinking that this is more recent than 5.1. My Denon AVR supports DD+ (and DTS 7.1) and indicates 7.1 when it gets that signal from any content. I watched a streaming VUDU movie that was offered in 7.1 and the DD+ display came on the AVR. Lossless or not, I was just curious what the H34 may support IF DirecTV ever decides to send 7.1 audio.

My 5.1 sounds great but i do like the additional channels when I've been able to get any 7.1 content.

#15 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

Newer was probably a bad word choice but I was thinking that this is more recent than 5.1. My Denon AVR supports DD+ (and DTS 7.1) and indicates 7.1 when it gets that signal from any content. I watched a streaming VUDU movie that was offered in 7.1 and the DD+ display came on the AVR. Lossless or not, I was just curious what the H34 may support IF DirecTV ever decides to send 7.1 audio.

My 5.1 sounds great but i do like the additional channels when I've been able to get any 7.1 content.

As I mentioned, just put your Denon on Dolby Digital Pro Logic IIx and all 5.1 content will be in 7.1. Problem solved.

#16 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

Thanks. So to clarify, if I had a C31 I could add/delete/manage series from it (that would be recorded on the HR34) but if I had an HR24 I could not add/delete/manage series that would be recorded on the HR34. I could only manage series that would be recorded on the HR24.

If that is the case not sure what the advantage of keeping my HR24 and HR23 and adding an HR34 would be besides more tuners really (which I don't need).

Correct.

The advantages of the HRXX's over the clients is that you'll have an additional two tuners at each location - not just for more recordings, but also for double play when needed. Plus, I've found a few occasions (mostly Sunday nights during prime time) when I need to record 6 things, so the extra tuners help.

Managing multiple HRXX playlists isn't really complicated as long as you have a system. I used to use one (living room) for the majority of shows, another for sports, and another for overflow and family programming.

Others use one for ABC & CBS, another for NBC and FOX and the third for everything else.

It's not as convenient as the HR34, but only you can determine what that convenience is worth.

#17 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

Correct.

The advantages of the HRXX's over the clients is that you'll have an additional two tuners at each location - not just for more recordings, but also for double play when needed. Plus, I've found a few occasions (mostly Sunday nights during prime time) when I need to record 6 things, so the extra tuners help.

Managing multiple HRXX playlists isn't really complicated as long as you have a system. I used to use one (living room) for the majority of shows, another for sports, and another for overflow and family programming.

Others use one for ABC & CBS, another for NBC and FOX and the third for everything else.

It's not as convenient as the HR34, but only you can determine what that convenience is worth.

Thanks. I think sticking with what I have might just be the best way to go for now. I like the systems you suggested, that makes sense and would make things easier.

#18 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,921 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

I put almost all movies on my HR24, and everything else on the '34.

Note you can use the H25 to set recordings on any DVR, but not manage them; the C31 will integrate in that way only with the '34, but you can manage ToDo's, Series Links.

Oddly enough, I still like my first take.:D.... good luck. Whatever you choose, you can't be wrong.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#19 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

There is no one broadcasting in anything higher than 5.1 currently, or for the foreseeable future. Some streaming services may have a few offerings as you have found, but thats about it outside of BD disks.

#20 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,674 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

Heck, it took several years after they upgraded to HD for my local CBS to even have 5.1, the equipment needed was expensive (according to their engineer). They finally added it about a year ago.

Edited by dpeters11, 30 December 2012 - 11:01 AM.

spam firewall