Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 upgrade

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   PMA

PMA

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts
  • LocationLivermore, California

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

As I mentioned, just put your Denon on Dolby Digital Pro Logic IIx and all 5.1 content will be in 7.1. Problem solved.

But that is for matrix 7.1 and not discrete. I'd rather let the AVR choose the content audio provided by DirecTV or a Blu Ray disc, even in 5.1 vs. a simulated 7.1. More recent Blu Rays are coming out with discrete 7.1 audio (The Avengers as an example) so true content is slowly coming. Back to my original question, I was just curious what the H34 may be plumbed for assuming DirecTV is possibly planning for future audio enhancement similar to when 5.1 was initially rolled out.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,495 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

But that is for matrix 7.1 and not discrete.

I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference.

I've been using PLIIx with my 7.1 set up for over 8 years. I watch everything in 7.1, and have for a long time. Listening to 5.1 in a 7.1 setup is a waste, IMO.

When I am watching a BD with discreet 7.1, I use that, but the differences are minor.

But to your original question, I don't think the HR34 can output anything other than 5.1

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#23 OFFLINE   Rent_Share

Rent_Share

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

Here's the way I look at it. A DVR costs just as much monthly as a non-DVR and with an HR2X you can view the content . . . .

Pre-Mature Participation

What are my chances of getting:

• A Leased HR34 as an Upgrade to the Owned DSR708
  • Upgrade from WB68 to SWM16
  • Whole Home Supported Connectivity

With the HR20/21/23/34 I would be looking at 11 Tuners 2.1TB in storage

I am not afraid of doing the hook up so I could pass on the truck

With just a service comitment

Edited by Rent_Share, 02 January 2013 - 02:31 PM.

Dish Slimline-5 WB68 MRV Enabled (Non Supported) Cat 5
HR20-100 - HR21/100 - HR23-700 - Not Networked DSR708 SD

#24 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

Call them up and ask...if you call them and order an HMC and say you want to upgrade to DECA, they will come out and install everything you need...the chances of them allowing you to DIY are pretty slim.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...