Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

sling dysfunction with PTAT recordings

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dtvgone

dtvgone

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

i7-3820QM, 2.7 GHz
16 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GT 650M, 2 GB RAM, Intel HD 4000 (on battery power or when selected)
Wireless: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 2x2 (300 Mbps)
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

1 Hopper, with sling adapter, currently FW 234
2 Joeys
1 HIC, connected to gigabit Ethernet port on D-Link DIR-655 wireless router

PTAT recordings fail to sling successfully via dishonline, even though the same local channels display normally with live viewing. The problem occurs with all 4 PTAT channels.

Playback has continuous flickering with white pixels occupying part or all of the screen.

Standard recordings from other channels, either premium channels such as HBO or Cinemax, or others such as Fx sling normally, with excellent picture quality.

Streaming functions normally from dishonline or the individual HBO, Cinemax and Epix sites.

The problem has been present since I got this laptop last month; my prior laptop didn't have adequate hardware to sling HD content very well, so hadn't used it for viewing any PTAT recordings.

IE 10 is not the problem, because the same problem occurs with Chrome, and doesn't seem to be a software/hardware problem on my end, as everything but PTAT recordings seems to display normally.

The NVIDIA graphics card is active by default, except when on battery power. Changing to the integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics has no impact on the display.

There have been a few Hopper SW revisions since I got this laptop, all with the same problem.

PTAT recordings display normally on the Hopper and both Joeys.

Dish tech support indicated that they would send this to their engineers, and hadn't received any similar reports from other customers.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

If so, please report it to tech support.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,975 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

I recall plenty of complains related to the Sling thing ... check the forum for old discussions.

#3 OFFLINE   DanB_DISH

DanB_DISH

Cool Member

• DISH Representative
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:16 PM

@dtvgone, from the sounds of it this would be an issue on our end. Unfortunately, I haven't received any reports regarding this and neither have my co-workers. I would recommend submittng a report to our engineers. If you'd like I will be happy to report this a second time, just send me a PM.
Daniel Busa
DISH Internet Response Team
3:00PM-11:00PM (MST)
Tues.-Sat.

#4 OFFLINE   dtvgone

dtvgone

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

Thanks; I have some additional data to report that you can send to the engineers.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note II (android 4.1x), and hadn't previously used the dishonline android app, just streaming from HBO, Cinemax and Epix.

The Note streams well from those internet-based sites, and I tried it yesterday at home to see if the same display problems would occur from a sling stream.

The display problems did not occur with playback of PTAT recordings from either the PTAT folder/tab or from the link to them in My Recordings, for those with timers. Recordings from other channels, such as HBO displayed correctly, as did live TV from the LIL and other channels.

The android app also displays all available recordings in My Recordings for PTAT shows that have timers. This does not occur with the browser-based PC app (with either IE 10 or Chrome).

The browser-based PC app only displays one or two of the PTAT shows with timers, generally only one of the three that currently have unwatched episodes.

Adding dishonline.com to the sites requiring compatibility view in IE 10 results in all of the PTAT shows with timers and saved episodes displaying in My Recordings, but has no impact on the flickering display for those recordings.

The Note II screen resolution is 1080p, so expect it is displaying a 1080i stream.

The sling bitrate to the laptop is generally only in the 6-7 mbps range on the home network, even though the HIC is connected to a gigabit Ethernet port on the router, and the laptop has a dual channel wireless-N connection at 300mbps. That is about the same as my old laptop, and I had expected a higher bitrate for streaming with better hardware.

The sling bitrate to the Note II is only about 1 mbps, even though the connection to the wireless router is single channel wireless N. I had expected a higher streaming rate to the phone.

Edited by dtvgone, 30 December 2012 - 01:42 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

It very likely clamps the bitrate for mobile.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#6 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 568 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

I find Dish online / Sling adapter to be working much better these days. Starts streaming as fast as Netfllix. Any PTAT recording I have saved, shows up and plays from my Nexus 7 (or PC). Any PTAT recording not saved doesn't show up, PC or device (I expect them not to since it's a file on Dish's internal space). I seldom use it, but it's great for killing time.

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,975 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

I expect them not to since it's a file on Dish's internal space

See my posts when discussed QUOTAS of 813's HDD ... no such "internal space" got PTA events

#8 OFFLINE   DanB_DISH

DanB_DISH

Cool Member

• DISH Representative
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

@dtvgone, thanks for the additional info in order to submit a report I just need to get your receiver CAID number and software version. Please send me a PM with this info. Thanks!
Daniel Busa
DISH Internet Response Team
3:00PM-11:00PM (MST)
Tues.-Sat.

#9 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

I find Dish online / Sling adapter to be working much better these days. Starts streaming as fast as Netfllix. Any PTAT recording I have saved, shows up and plays from my Nexus 7 (or PC). Any PTAT recording not saved doesn't show up, PC or device (I expect them not to since it's a file on Dish's internal space). I seldom use it, but it's great for killing time.

All my PTAT content shows up fine via Dish Online and on my phones and Ipad.

Attached Thumbnails

• PTAT.jpg

#10 OFFLINE   dtvgone

dtvgone

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

What desktop or laptop hardware, OS and browser are you using to access dishonline?

This might be a Windows 8 problem.

I didn't have this same video problem with my old laptop (2007 vintage Dell Precision M6300 with older dual core processor, 4 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro video card, Win 7 pro 64 bit), but didn't use sling streaming very often. The lower processing power on the old system resulted in slow frame rates and stuttering, so PQ wasn't worth watching. That is different than the current display problems. No display abnormalities occurred with the older hardware streaming from internet sites (dishonline, HBO or Cinemax).

Can't run the systems in parallel at this time on my home network, as I brought the old laptop at my office to use as an emergency backup.

Edited by dtvgone, 01 January 2013 - 10:53 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

It works for me on Android ICS, Ipad and Iphone 6.xx (whatever the current version is), Windows 7 - chrome,IE9,FX, Windows XP, Chrome,FF,IE8. 2 desktops and 1 laptop with no problems and multiple devices with no issues.

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,975 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

you are such lucky guy :) everything is good for you ...

#13 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 568 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

Thanks! I noticed I only had one PT show, and it was lost in my long list. Your picture allowed me to find the sort by date, and appears to be listed correctly. I can't seem to find the screen or option that shows the name with "edit". Mine just says DVR at the top center.

edit: Nevermind, found that screen on my PC, was looking at my Nexus 7.

All my PTAT content shows up fine via Dish Online and on my phones and Ipad.

#14 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

Thanks! I noticed I only had one PT show, and it was lost in my long list. Your picture allowed me to find the sort by date, and appears to be listed correctly. I can't seem to find the screen or option that shows the name with "edit". Mine just says DVR at the top center.

edit: Nevermind, found that screen on my PC, was looking at my Nexus 7.

I would try refreshing.. I normally just hover over the DVR option in the middle of the page and then click on Recordings and when the recordings page loads, then I see the receiver name and the edit option on the left. If you still don't see it, try another browser. I believe i was using Chrome when I took that screenshot.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...