Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Router Recommendation

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

My current router died, and I'm looking for recommendations for a new one. I do NOT want anything from Linksys/Cisco, I KNOW that (Setup my Mother's and a friend's Linksys routers, and wanted to smash the things before I was done lol).
Should support WPA2, 802.11b/g/n (If it supports 802.11ac too, that's fine), Simultaneous Dual Band 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz, Excellent wireless coverage, NAT and SPI firewalls, Jumbo Frames, QOS (As well as the ability to designate a certain port on the router as having Priority over others, since we have Ooma), IPv6 compatibility, Gb WAN & LAN ports, WPS (As well as the ability to turn that on and off as I please). I have NO problem paying up to $300 (I want a GOOD router!).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,736 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

Even Cisco wants to get rid of Linksys...

Look at the newer netgear wndr ones, like the 4500, or ones that are dd-wrt or OpenWrt compatible.

#3 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

I'm been looking at the Netgear R6300 and the Asus RT-AC66R. Don't need 802.11ac yet, and I'm not seeing great reviews on them compared to their 802.11n counterparts, but I'm thinking whereas these are the newest products, they're likely to be supported longer. That sound right? Also, do they both support all of me requirements?

#4 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

I give this high marks:
http://www.sonicwall...cts/TZ_200.html

Posted Image

Posted Image

I use the wired version along with a TrendNet WAP rather than the integrated unit but it's very configurable and does a really good job of moving traffic through it. There is no UPNP support if you need that, but it's a good set it and forget it device.

Not cheap, though.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

RELIABLE wireless is a necessity too. Currently using a wireless router that the cable company gave us until I had enough money to purchase a new router, and this thing is JUNK. Constant disconnects. Been swapped out 3 times, and all 3 have done it, so pretty sure it's the model itself/firmware that they're using (They insist it has the latest firmware).

#6 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,736 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

The problem with the ISP provided stuff is that you generally can't update the firmware yourself, and it may be the latest they support, not necessarily the latest for that model, or the model is proprietary.

#7 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

The problem with the ISP provided stuff is that you generally can't update the firmware yourself, and it may be the latest they support, not necessarily the latest for that model, or the model is proprietary.

Yeah, the thing is junk, but it's better than nothing, since I didn't have any money at the time I needed it.

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

Don't knock Cisco/Linksys so quickly. While their stock firmware has a lot to be desired for, the routers themselves are pretty reliable. The best thing about Linksys is that just about all of their routers can be flashed with DD-WRT. Once you have DD-WRT on the router, any issues that you would normally have with a Linksys will go by the wayside as they are usually caused by their firmware.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#9 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 844 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

Hardware fails, and at one time or another, I've had issues with Linksys, D-Link, and Netgear routers. That said, by a very far margin, I've had the fewest issues with Netgear, which are the routers I use at home (all Cisco at work).

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#10 OFFLINE   funhouse69

funhouse69

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:17 AM

Check out the Zywall Firewalls they are Enterprise Level at a very, very reasonable price. I believe they make some with Wifi built in but I will have to check tomorrow.
Was with D* for over 10 years then switched to the dark-side a few years ago and haven't looked back. I truly enjoy the 50% savings and uninterrupted service

#11 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

We use the Apple AirPort Extreme. It's rock solid. Been using it over a year and it hasn't dropped the connection even once. Super easy setup too.
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#12 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:23 AM

We use the Apple AirPort Extreme. It's rock solid.

+1

I use its big brother the Time Capsule which has an included harddrive for backups, but it is also rock solid. I have extended my wireless by adding 2 Airport Expresses. There is not a place in my house or around it you don't have rock solid signal.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#13 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

We use the Apple AirPort Extreme. It's rock solid. Been using it over a year and it hasn't dropped the connection even once. Super easy setup too.

+2
I had used Linksys, Netgear and a couple of others, but couldn't get a strong signal in the back of our house. But I noticed I could receive my neighbor's WiFi throughout my entire house (and they are about 40' away). They use AirPort Extreme, so I got one. Works great, strong signal, easy to set up and reliable. Haven't had to do anything to it since I set it up (about two years ago).

#14 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

+2

Apple's Airport Extreme is all I've used for many years, well that and some Airport Expresses too. Nothing simpler to configure and then they 'just work' unobtrusively.

If you decide to go that route, go to Apple's online store and go to the bottom, left side of the page and pick the 'special deals'. That will get you to some refurbs and with Apple, all refurbished equipment has the new warranty. You can save a few bucks that way.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#15 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,736 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

One nice thing about Apple's is that they way they handle a feature that is required to be there and enabled by default doesn't invalidate the WPA2 encryption key.

#16 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,667 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

I'm on my 3rd year with a D-Link DIR-655 Gigabit wireless router that has been flawless since the day I bought it. There is a newer model out there now.

My previous unit was another D-Link. Other than the marginal documentation you get with their units....they are rock solid IMHO and full-featured.

During the time I was about to get the newer DIR-655...I examined (and tried) 3 different Linksys routers.

I can't begin to describe the numerous hours of pain of working with those. I have 3 current friends with them, and 2 are bailing on that brand. I'm a big Cisco fan...so I'm a bit dismayed to hear all the problems with Linksys routers since Cisco bought them.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#17 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

I'm on my 3rd year with a D-Link DIR-655 Gigabit wireless router that has been flawless since the day I bought it. There is a newer model out there now.

My previous unit was another D-Link. Other than the marginal documentation you get with their units....they are rock solid IMHO and full-featured.

During the time I was about to get the newer DIR-655...I examined (and tried) 3 different Linksys routers.

I can't begin to describe the numerous hours of pain of working with those. I have 3 current friends with them, and 2 are bailing on that brand. I'm a big Cisco fan...so I'm a bit dismayed to hear all the problems with Linksys routers since Cisco bought them.

Like I mentioned though, you have to ditch the Linksys firmware and go with DD-WRT. Extremely stable, well designed, and many features.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#18 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

Like I mentioned though, you have to ditch the Linksys firmware and go with DD-WRT. Extremely stable, well designed, and many features.

- Merg

Cisco ought to just buy DD-WRT and use it on their routers. They would become #1 in a hurry.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#19 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,537 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

I bought 2 Linksys E1200 refurbs in the past month for both my son and son-in-law. Paid $20 shipped for one and $10 + shipping for the other. They're simple single band, 2.4ghz, 300 mbps, N routers.

They both work like a charm with the stock Cisco software. Between both households, there are 2 Windows 7 laptops, one MacBook Pro, 2 work Blackberries, 4 iPhones and 2 iPads. All devices are very happy, ATM. :)
/steve

#20 OFFLINE   1980ws

1980ws

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts
  • LocationLongwood, Florida

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

Always had Buffalo. Never an issue.

http://www.buffalotech.com/

Enjoying D* since 2008 - Choice Xtra Classic
NFLST - MLB.TV PREMIUM - NHL Gamecenter Live