Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can Samsung TV's WiFi support the Net needs of HR34-700 ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TexARC

TexARC

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

Finally bought the parents a modern tv, a samsung with wifi - connects to the wireless router in the house just fine but there is no easy way to run a drop from the router to where the TV is, so WiFi is required and reaches the TV with a decent signal strength.
I also got them a DirecTV installation, but somewhat to my surprise there is no wifi built into the HR34-700 DTV device. Is there a way to share the connection from the tv to the DTV tuner, or do I have to buy a directv brand wireless router just for the DTV? I also am told by the DTV setup routine to check the list of approved routers on the dtv website but no amount of searching finds a list of approved routers. <sigh>
any advice on how to get net connectivity to the Directv HR34-700 with as little pain and suffering as possible? Thanks...
archery is it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:38 PM

Is there a way to share the connection from the tv to the DTV tuner,

share ? you can't share TV connection,but you can share your WiFi access point [router] bandwidth

or do I have to buy a directv brand wireless router just for the DTV?

you have one - it's enough; just use approved by DTV WiFi adapter for the HR34

#3 OFFLINE   TexARC

TexARC

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

I didn't speak/type very clearly - my bad. the Samsung TV has wifi connection to my household router, and therefore gets net access. The new DTV receiver does not have a wired connection to the net, and no wireless adapter built in. I was wondering if there was a way to share the internet connection from the tv TO the DTV. It appears no.
Also, in lieu of finding a list on the DTV website of "approved" routers, I have bought a Linksys N300 router, in the notion that if I attach it to the RJH45 socket on the DTV receiver that it will somehow link to the other router in my house and suck in some internet<G>...
The DTV installer did not spend much time teaching my father how to run things (at 80 yo, he's perhaps a little behind the times with the "damn internet thing". :)
We are in the middle of nowhere in south Texas, so I can't drop into a Frys or a Best Buy and pick up the DTV brand net adapter, but I could order it and have it delivered - problem is I live more than 3 hours away and won't be able to install it for him and configure things. <argh>
archery is it.

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

It would help to know a little bit more about the setup at your parent's house. Is the HR34 the only receiver that your parents have?

I'm actually surprised that the install tech did not make sure the receiver is connected to the Internet. They are usually knocked if they do not do that.

As for getting it connected, since there is no Ethernet drop near the HR34, a Cinema Connection Kit from DirecTV would take care of the issue for you. There are two kinds out there: wireless-CCK and a wired-CCK. The wireless one is not really used by DirecTV anymore, but you can still get them via places like Solid Signal and eBay.

The wired one is pretty simple to setup. If there is a coax drop near a Ethernet drop in your house, you would connect it to the coax there and then run an Ethernet cable to your router or via the Ethernet drop.

The wireless one would just be installed in-line with the HR34 between the coax drop on the wall and the HR34. When CCK is installed and you go through the Network Setup on the HR34, you state that it is a wireless connection and it will go through the steps of setting up the CCK to connect wirelessly back to your router.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

Also what model Samsung TV did you get?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#6 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,265 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

It would help to know a little bit more about the setup at your parent's house. Is the HR34 the only receiver that your parents have?

I'm actually surprised that the install tech did not make sure the receiver is connected to the Internet. They are usually knocked if they do not do that.

As for getting it connected, since there is no Ethernet drop near the HR34, a Cinema Connection Kit from DirecTV would take care of the issue for you. There are two kinds out there: wireless-CCK and a wired-CCK. The wireless one is not really used by DirecTV anymore, but you can still get them via places like Solid Signal and eBay.

The wired one is pretty simple to setup. If there is a coax drop near a Ethernet drop in your house, you would connect it to the coax there and then run an Ethernet cable to your router or via the Ethernet drop.

The wireless one would just be installed in-line with the HR34 between the coax drop on the wall and the HR34. When CCK is installed and you go through the Network Setup on the HR34, you state that it is a wireless connection and it will go through the steps of setting up the CCK to connect wirelessly back to your router.

- Merg

I wonder if the TS is asking if programming, recorded or live, may be sent via WiFi from the HR34 to the Samsung TV. If so the answer is no of course.

Also I thought the WiFi enabled CCK (or DCCK-W) is the only one distributed by DIRECTV mail order nowadays.

For the installers the specifically designed wired CCK has been discontinued for a receiver DECA II module with power adapter for the wired option or the wireless CCK when the wired option is impractical.

#7 OFFLINE   TexARC

TexARC

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

First, thanks for replying. This is my parents' first flatscreen, which I dragged them into screaming and guilt-tripping <G> for Christmas. (along with the DirecTV - they are too far for off-air broadcast from San Antonio, and have always had pretty limited TV cable service, though in recent years TimeWarner bought out the local guy and brought in broadband. There is a cable modem in one part of the house where a sister lived, and the DTV installer ran cables all over the TW cables, he just did not bother to connect the TW output into the DTV receiver. There IS an RG6 cable at the new TV, where the old TV got its antenna input - no modem there. Would be nice if I could simply attach that TW cable to the DRV receiver<G>.
The Samsung is a model UN50ES6150F, with an excellent picture that my dad allows as how "it might be ok...". :) . It sounds like attaching the Linkdsys N300 to the DTV and linking it up to the other router at the cable modem location via wifi is not a solution?
It sounds like I should order the DirecTV device and request that the installer come back out to complete both the installation and configuration (and actually spend some time teaching my dad the fundamental operations). I've done this also but he should not a1ave been left last week with virtually zero notion of how DTV works. I had hoped to nudge him into doing some actual internet searching and exploring on the TV - lots of resistance to overcome.
Assuming (I know, a dangerous word) that I can get the net to the DTV, I'd appreciate any suggestions on which wireless keyboard/controller surfing combo y'all have found to be the most friendly. Something like the Logitech Revue? Or a keyboard specific for the DTV? (never seen one).
archery is it.

#8 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,304 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

Completely different view point:

Might not an 80 year old non-techie be better off not having his Genie attached to the LAN? Just to cut down on complications/understanding. He'll be able to get Netflix and a bunch of other stuff via the Sammy. Learning to record and delete, set up Series Links, etc. might be enough for some time to come.

Edit: I wrote the above before I saw your 12:25 post. It confirms my view, and I'd also add: get him a laptop so he doesn't have the further frustration of trying to do computer things on a kludged system.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

I wonder if the TS is asking if programming, recorded or live, may be sent via WiFi from the HR34 to the Samsung TV. If so the answer is no of course.

Also I thought the WiFi enabled CCK (or DCCK-W) is the only one distributed by DIRECTV mail order nowadays.

For the installers the specifically designed wired CCK has been discontinued for a receiver DECA II module with power adapter for the wired option or the wireless CCK when the wired option is impractical.

Yeah, I knew the techs were only installing the wired version, but I couldn't remember if you order from DirecTV if they send you the wireless version.

- Merg

#10 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

First, thanks for replying. This is my parents' first flatscreen, which I dragged them into screaming and guilt-tripping <G> for Christmas. (along with the DirecTV - they are too far for off-air broadcast from San Antonio, and have always had pretty limited TV cable service, though in recent years TimeWarner bought out the local guy and brought in broadband. There is a cable modem in one part of the house where a sister lived, and the DTV installer ran cables all over the TW cables, he just did not bother to connect the TW output into the DTV receiver. There IS an RG6 cable at the new TV, where the old TV got its antenna input - no modem there. Would be nice if I could simply attach that TW cable to the DRV receiver<G>.
The Samsung is a model UN50ES6150F, with an excellent picture that my dad allows as how "it might be ok...". :) . It sounds like attaching the Linkdsys N300 to the DTV and linking it up to the other router at the cable modem location via wifi is not a solution?
It sounds like I should order the DirecTV device and request that the installer come back out to complete both the installation and configuration (and actually spend some time teaching my dad the fundamental operations). I've done this also but he should not a1ave been left last week with virtually zero notion of how DTV works. I had hoped to nudge him into doing some actual internet searching and exploring on the TV - lots of resistance to overcome.
Assuming (I know, a dangerous word) that I can get the net to the DTV, I'd appreciate any suggestions on which wireless keyboard/controller surfing combo y'all have found to be the most friendly. Something like the Logitech Revue? Or a keyboard specific for the DTV? (never seen one).

Okay, it's a little hard to follow your post, but I'll give it a shot... :)

You mention that the DTV installer ran cables over the TW cables. What do you mean by that? Are the DirecTV cables alongside the TW or did the tech grab the TW cables to use for the DirecTV receivers? Also, is the HR34 the only receiver that was installed?

If you want to use the Linksys N300 to connect to the HR34, you can do that. However, as it is not a "supported" device, you would need to hook it up to a laptop or PC first and configure it to connect back to your wireless router. After that, you would then hook it up to the HR34. Once connected to the HR34, you would run the Network Setup as if it was a wired connection (even though you are using a wireless adapter, the HR34 doesn't know that and just thinks it is hardwired back to your router).

The reason why I mentioned about using the CCK from DirecTV as it is made specifically to work on the DirecTV system and if there is an issue, DirecTV will support you to include sending out a tech to help you resolve issues.

- Merg

#11 OFFLINE   TexARC

TexARC

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

I spent a lot of time on the phone last night going through various departments of DTV. One said that the order they set up originally "should" have had the wifi adapter for the HR34-700(It didn't). Another, that WiFi was built-in to the HR-34 but he allowed as how HE couldn't get one for himself yet, so maybe he might be wrong. :)
This house has only one DTV receiver, the HR34. He still has a turntable with an 8-track tape built in, and a 15 y.o. VHS player. :)

The end result of talking to DTV is they have set another install work order, specifying that the installer connect the wifi CCK external antenna for the HR34, configure it, and then teach my dad how to use the various parts of the remote that he didn't train for before. I've done a bunch but it will be good to have repetition on things. The installer did not touch or recycle the TW RG6 drops, just added another set to the various parts of the house.

It's funny, but I find the biggest thing NEW to persuade dad to do, is to stop using the mute button, and start using the pause button ( we've decided to call it the captain's bars ) instead. :)

I think waiting for a few months to do anything further in evolution would be a good idea - too much change at one time is not good. A keyboard (and a skype video camera on the top of the TV) will be a future project I think.

Again, thanks for the information, the thoughts, suggestions, and wisdom. Y'all have been just the help I needed to make sure I was doing things pretty much the right direction and way. Happy New Year!
archery is it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...