Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Rates? HBO Increase - It Pays to Complain

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:42 AM

I, along with many customers am tired of constant increases in my TV costs. It has gotten to the point where TV service is not a good value or worth what I pay for it. The new rates starting in Feb 2013 really made me look at how to cut my costs.

So I called Directv this morning. I was going to cancel Whole Home DVR service which I never use and cancel HBO.

Now I really like HBO and have had it for a very long time - since the late 80's in fact. However HBO is just not worth $18 a month. At least it is not worth that amount to me.

Low and behold the very nice CSR lady at Directv offered me HBO for 6 months at 10.99 a month. Now this is more like it. HBO is worth 10.99 a month. At the end of this 6 month promotion the lady told me to call back and cancel HBO. She "suggested" I might be offered the promotion for another 6 months. :)

So I have been paying $15.99 a month for HBO. Now I am going to pay $10.99 a month - a savings of $30 (from what I have been paying) over a 6 month promotion.

The new HBO price starting in Feb 2013 is increasing $2 a month or $24 over a one year period.

Does this make any sense for Directv or HBO??

All I know for sure is as much as I like HBO I am NOT going to pay $18 a month for it!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,798 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:45 AM

It's fair to assume that most folks prefer not to pay higher prices.

That said...there's already a long thread on this same topic here ;):

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=211512
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3 OFFLINE   Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

It's fair to assume that most folks prefer not to pay higher prices.

That said...there's already a long thread on this same topic here ;):

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=211512

This topic was about saving $5 a month. Not sitting back and doing nothing and paying higher prices. As long as the vast majority of Directv customers continue to pay whatever increases Directv dictates, prices will continue to rise.

Only when customers start saying enough is enough and start exercising their right to cancel Directv services will the situation change.

#4 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,798 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

This topic was about saving $5 a month. Not sitting back and doing nothing and paying higher prices. As long as the vast majority of Directv customers continue to pay whatever increases Directv dictates, prices will continue to rise.

Only when customers start saying enough is enough and start exercising their right to cancel Directv services will the situation change.

No doubt higher prices impact everyone differently, and few folks welcome paying them. Glad to hear you got some cost relief.

Still...it's an existing thread topic of discussion...

#5 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

As long as the vast majority of Directv customers continue to pay whatever increases Directv dictates, prices will continue to rise.

And if you believe that I have swamp land to sell you.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#6 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,798 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

Yeah...a number of us realize that any potential changes to the cycle of higher prices must start with the source of those higher prices - the greed of the content providers (channel groups, local stations, and networks).

If we learn how to crack that nut...

#7 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

I, along with many customers am tired of constant increases in my TV costs. It has gotten to the point where TV service is not a good value or worth what I pay for it. The new rates starting in Feb 2013 really made me look at how to cut my costs.

So I called Directv this morning. I was going to cancel Whole Home DVR service which I never use and cancel HBO.

Now I really like HBO and have had it for a very long time - since the late 80's in fact. However HBO is just not worth $18 a month. At least it is not worth that amount to me.

Low and behold the very nice CSR lady at Directv offered me HBO for 6 months at 10.99 a month. Now this is more like it. HBO is worth 10.99 a month. At the end of this 6 month promotion the lady told me to call back and cancel HBO. She "suggested" I might be offered the promotion for another 6 months. :)

So I have been paying $15.99 a month for HBO. Now I am going to pay $10.99 a month - a savings of $30 (from what I have been paying) over a 6 month promotion.

The new HBO price starting in Feb 2013 is increasing $2 a month or $24 over a one year period.

Does this make any sense for Directv or HBO??

All I know for sure is as much as I like HBO I am NOT going to pay $18 a month for it!

The rates that content owners charge service providers continues to rise. I blame the content owners, not the providers.
DTV = Digital Television

#8 OFFLINE   Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

Really. What would happen if on Feb 1 2013 if Ten million Directv customers called in to cancel? :lol:

Let's face it - TV service is NOT a necessity. Every year the TV providers raise their rates. Every year. And every year the forum is loaded with people complaining about higher rates.

The TV providers do not care. They know they can keep on rasiing rates because the majority of customers will go right on paying whatever they ask.

At what point do the rates become too high for the customer to continue paying them? It will never become too high as long as customers believe they can do nothing about it.....

#9 OFFLINE   jdh8668

jdh8668

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

At $18 a month you could wait for the entire series to come out on dvd and it would be far cheaper.

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,088 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

Really. What would happen if on Feb 1 2013 if Ten million Directv customers called in to cancel? :lol:

Let's face it - TV service is NOT a necessity. Every year the TV providers raise their rates. Every year. And every year the forum is loaded with people complaining about higher rates.

The TV providers do not care. They know they can keep on rasiing rates because the majority of customers will go right on paying whatever they ask.

At what point do the rates become too high for the customer to continue paying them? It will never become too high as long as customers believe they can do nothing about it.....

If directv didn't care, then why didn't they raise rates on all the packages? It's not directv, time Warner, even Comcast that's the issue, it is the content owners that want more and more money. DirecTV can only reign them in so much.

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,583 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

Not true at all, this latter point. Many people cancel out providers for a hundred reasons, one of which is high costs.

Is TV a necessity? In my household it is. More so than a $4.00 cappuccino at Peet's Coffee. Arguably, neither are necessities for survival, but I think most of us are free to define what's a necessity in our own worlds.

I'd say the providers do care quite a bit, realizing that the golden goose is threatened by ever increasing prices. DIRECTV® is battling against same, but can't tell every content provider to take a hike.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#12 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

Yeah...a number of us realize that any potential changes to the cycle of higher prices must start with the source of those higher prices - the greed of the content providers (channel groups, local stations, and networks).

If we learn how to crack that nut...

Exactly. It's not as if DirecTV, or any other provider of any service, is just randomly deciding to up their fees. They are being charged more and must pass on some of that cost to its customers. Do we have to like it? No... Is it part of life? Yes.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#13 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

That would never happen.

It's called "the cost of living". Look it up. EVERYONE's cost of living increases EVERY year. It's part of being a living being.

The TV providers do not care.

Yeah, that's why DirecTV turned off the Viacom channels when Viacom demanded more money, because they didn't care.

They know they can keep on rasiing rates because the majority of customers will go right on paying whatever they ask.

You don't have to you know...

So DirecTV should just absorb all of the increases they face? Yeah, they'd be out of business pretty quick the way the networks are demanding higher carriage fees.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#14 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

At $18 a month you could wait for the entire series to come out on dvd and it would be far cheaper.

Multiply that $18 by every show you watch...

Oh, and I challenge you to find an HBO series that costs less than $50 to $60 per season to own on disc.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#15 OFFLINE   Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

So DirecTV should just absorb all of the increases they face?

They should not agree to the increases to start with. As a TV consumer I can not deal directly with the content provider. I can however deal with Directv.

I do have a choice. Fortunately for me DirectTV is NOT a necessity. I could go on living just fine with only OTA (free) and Netflix streaming (a huge Value at only $8 a month) and an occasional cheap Redbox rental. In fact since I currently spend close to $100 a month on Directv I could even splurge a little on a few VUDU rentals and buy some BlueRay DVD's - and still save $$ over what I am paying now to DTV.

#16 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,283 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

Well, you can get them in HD at Apple's iTunes store for about $35/season.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#17 OFFLINE   Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

What would happen if on Feb 1 2013 if Ten million Directv customers called in to cancel?

That would never happen.

Exactly right. And it is one of the reasons our DTV prices will never stop going up every year.

#18 OFFLINE   Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

It's called "the cost of living". Look it up. EVERYONE's cost of living increases EVERY year. It's part of being a living being.

The problem of course everyone's wages do not go up every year. In fact many wages are going down or even worse - no job at all.

Soon or later many people have to start cutting costs somewhere. Yes, unfortunately in todays world - "It's part of being a living being."

#19 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,088 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

They should not agree to the increases to start with. As a TV consumer I can not deal directly with the content provider. I can however deal with Directv.

I do have a choice. Fortunately for me DirectTV is NOT a necessity. I could go on living just fine with only OTA (free) and Netflix streaming (a huge Value at only $8 a month) and an occasional cheap Redbox rental. In fact since I currently spend close to $100 a month on Directv I could even splurge a little on a few VUDU rentals and buy some BlueRay DVD's - and still save $$ over what I am paying now to DTV.

And if they said we would not allow a price increase from the content provider, then the provider will drop coverage, directv would lose a lot more customers (especially when they lose locals and big conglomerates) and go out of business. Someone would fold, but a content provider would not accept no price increases, ever. Eventually they would increase the price DirecTV pays.

Only way to avoid price increases is to get rid of paid TV, no Netflix etc, go OTA only.

#20 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,798 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

They should not agree to the increases to start with. As a TV consumer I can not deal directly with the content provider. I can however deal with DirecTV.

I do have a choice. Fortunately for me DirecTV is NOT a necessity. I could go on living just fine with only OTA (free) and Netflix streaming (a huge Value at only $8 a month) and an occasional cheap Redbox rental. In fact since I currently spend close to $100 a month on DirecTV I could even splurge a little on a few VUDU rentals and buy some BlueRay DVD's - and still save $$ over what I am paying now to DTV.

I suspect everyone is empathetic to your point about the high cost of Pay TV...but the fact of the matter is that DirecTV and other providers DO NEGOTIATE vigorously to keep costs down to the minimum.

There is no advantage to DirecTV to raise your rates (or anyone else's) in terms of trying to keep customers happy.

If people spent 1/100th of their time calling, writing, or e-mailing their local stations, the major TV networks, the ESPN group, Tribune group, Turner group, and Viacom group conglomerates of the world that they do posting here about annual rate increases...things might be start to change.

Fact is as long as those companies continue their greedy profit-gouging practices for channel content pricing, and hold delivery services hostage (as well as consumers), things won't be different. Even "free" OTA TV will go away in the near future.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...