Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Rates? HBO Increase - It Pays to Complain

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   dismayed

dismayed

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

I think it's very telling that competition is increasing dramatically, that there are so many new forms of media, so many new distribution channels, so many new performers vying for a chance, so much new technology that literally has had a transformative effect on the industry, so many possibilities to revamp the process and eliminate entire layers of middlemen as a result, that in some ways TV, at least from an eyeballs ad revenue standpoint, is a pale shadow of what it once was even a decade ago... And yet still prices always go up, no matter what state the economy is in, across the board.

Other than with necessities (like medical), utilities, and monopolies/cartels, where is that seen? Is TV a necessity? Is it a utility? If its neither then what does that leave us with?

I think media costs go way beyond programming not just being a widget.... One has to ask if the licensing model that is propping the whole system up isn't to blame. While at all other points along the way the innovation has been towards "openness" and increasing freedom, with licensing it seems that with each new law passed more and more rights are taken away from the majority, and specific rights holders have their hands strengthened. When you can't even sing happy birthday to someone and not have to fear, god forbid, that you owe someone a hundred thousand dollars for retransmission of that song, then to me that says something is fundamentally, horribly wrong with the system. That's where our rising costs come from. And I thank DirecTV for taking every opportunity to fight that recently.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

I dare you to tell me that most of the TLC and Discovery channel stuff isn't widgets TV programming.

I dare to tell you. :lol:

When I was in the manufacturing industry out of college, we created a die and then we ran that machine 18 hours a day cranking out our manufactured product. That is a lot different than scripting, traveling for a show, shooting, editing, marketing, etc, etc. No two shows are a like....all those widgets were alike (within specs anyway).

One has known, fixed costs. The other is variable, even for something like Discovery and TLC. Those are the extremes, anyway.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#103 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,898 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:46 AM

That is a lot different than scripting, traveling for a show, shooting, editing, marketing, etc, etc. No two shows are a like....all those widgets were alike (within specs anyway).

Most of the "reality" programs seem to be widget based. A core group of the same varied personality types put in a situation where they clash for the amusement of the audience. Not quite the high quality scripted show that one might desire.

I would not put Discovery into the category of "widget factory" ... but I only watch the best program(s) on the channel and ignore the reality stuff.

TLC? Tomorrow's programming consists of "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding" from 6am to Noon, "What Not to Wear" from Noon to 7pm, "Sister Wives" at 7pm and 2am, "Sister Wives: Secrets Revealed" at 8pm and 1am, "Four Weddings" at 9pm and 11pm, another "What Not to Wear" at 10pm and Midnight. Then back to infomercials until morning. The next day is a slightly different variety of reality programming.

Somehow in the push to hundreds of channels we still have the problem of "nothing good on". Yet regardless of provider we pay more to get it - looking for the diamonds among the coal.

#104 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:34 AM

And yet some of the "unscripted" shows are so obviously staged that it is sickening.

They may not have a verbatim script but they have pre-arranged situations and participants and outcomes. They are unscripted like the WWE is unscripted.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#105 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,803 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

No doubt it takes money to create content, distribute it, etc.

However based on ratings...it's very clear there is simply too wide a range of affordable content out there to deliver.

What will happen based on supply & demand will be a reduction of some of the lesser channels in terms of availability. It's great to have a wide variety for sure...but when is enough too much in terms of availability?

The viewing public will help decide that.

I anticipate 2013 will separate the men from the boys in overall channel counts and availability.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#106 OFFLINE   jdh8668

jdh8668

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:38 AM

Multiply that $18 by every show you watch...

Oh, and I challenge you to find an HBO series that costs less than $50 to $60 per season to own on disc.

I have never purchased a season of Entourage for more than $20 at Target. You can always find deals on HBO series all the time too at Amazon.

#107 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,951 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

The viewing public will help decide that.

Not as long as the carriers as a group continue to support bundling of channels.

I'd much rather the industry take a stand than the gubmint get involved.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#108 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

Not as long as the carriers as a group continue to support bundling of channels.

While I agree, I don't think the majority of TV watchers do. Networks know this, which is why they have all the power. They know, in the end, people will switch if they aren't getting the channel because of all the choices they have. They know they can cost providers out the yin yang with the mere threat of removing the channel if it's one that is popular. So while good in theory, they can't get together and plan to do it as that would be collusion and against the law I believe.
--
Whereas, providers can't offer alternative solutions for original programming, unless it' in syndication and even then it's not up to date.

#109 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,803 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

Actually...the "gubmint" is already looking at it...in more than one area as well.

#110 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

I have never purchased a season of Entourage for more than $20 at Target. You can always find deals on HBO series all the time too at Amazon.

In my view that is a distorted lens. By the time HBO content hits DVD, it is at the end of it's product lifecycle. Or another way to look at it, the show has earned most of it's money up front from subscribers. Now, if there were less and less subscribers, the cost of that downstream content would be higher or may not exist at all since some of that content may get nixed.

Generally I feel that is one of the mistakes that people make when looking at a la carte. They talk about only the content they want to watch as if it's guaranteed to be a success and will be there.

Think about Walking Dead or Madmen, they can create those types of shows because they are getting guaranteed revenues from many subscribers to bet against. Now, if AMC, etc was only making shows with a la carte subscribers, are those types of shows even considered due to the risk? If they fail, they're toast. My two cents, but I've heard network programmers say this very thing.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#111 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,877 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

How many years after it airs?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#112 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

The new HBO price starting in Feb 2013 is increasing $2 a month or $24 over a one year period.

Does this make any sense for Directv or HBO??

No it doesnt bud.. HBO probably wants MORE $$$$$ (But will they make the quality of programming any better?? -- MOST LIKELY NOT)

#113 OFFLINE   jdh8668

jdh8668

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

How many years after it airs?

Within a year or less. Normally you can pick up many of the series cheap the day after Christmas. And if prices keep creeping up on these pay sites, you will see what is happening currently to the movie industry....people start to pirate HBO on torrent sites.

#114 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,603 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

People start to torrent movies when prices increase?? People - some people- have always stolen content and justified it however they wished.

But, yes, as prices increase, some will drop out, some will steal, and others will wait.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#115 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

No it doesnt bud.. HBO probably wants MORE $$$$$ (But will they make the quality of programming any better?? -- MOST LIKELY NOT)

You must not subscribe to HBO. They have been constantly improving their channels for quite some time. Better and more series, some boxing and other special event programming and of course, the movies.

And the nice part about it is that I don't have to pay anything at all unless I actually want their channels and shows.

I get a hell of a lot more irritated with the increases caused by those drek channels that are included in nearly all subscription packages. You know those channels that are ever increasing their 'reality' show crap instead of actually doing some quality programming.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#116 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,268 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

And the nice part about it is that I don't have to pay anything at all unless I actually want their channels and shows.

I get a hell of a lot more irritated with the increases caused by those drek channels that are included in nearly all subscription packages. You know those channels that are ever increasing their 'reality' show crap instead of actually doing some quality programming.

I agree. I'd like to see ESPN channels as a premium add-on rather than provided to all subscribers. I'd subscribe for the college football season. Not much chance of that happening, though.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#117 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

Odd, i've found HBO to have the highest qualify of programming between the 4 premiums. :grin:

#118 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,803 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

People start to torrent movies when prices increase?? People - some people- have always stolen content and justified it however they wished.

But, yes, as prices increase, some will drop out, some will steal, and others will wait.

That pretty much sums up the real world today.

#119 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

What about the addition of HBO GO? Outside of their channels they have other avenues to their media now.

The bulk of their cost increase is the actors and actresses in their original series now wanting more and more money for every new season. Without retaining these actors and actresses, their shows die. The rest would trickle from there.

#120 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

You must not subscribe to HBO. They have been constantly improving their channels for quite some time. Better and more series, some boxing and other special event programming and of course, the movies.

For Boardwalk Empire, I will gladly pay up to maybe $25 per month. I want HBO on Roku though.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...