Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is DISH satellite down? (Nope - Just some snow in the dish)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   EdJ

EdJ

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

I have a VIP 222K set up on the Eastern Arc. I was watching the DISH and at 11:25am EST, the receiver shutdown and tried to restart. It could not find a satellite signal. I pulled the plug to reset it, but it still can not find a satellite signal.

Is it just me or is the a network problem? The DISH website says nothing...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

Working fine for me.

Got snow on your dish?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#3 OFFLINE   EdJ

EdJ

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

I just went outside to check the dish and the snow is piled up on it. It has been working fine through the last two snowstorms. Since you confirmed that the satellite is OK, I guess it is me. It is a sunny day today after the snow yesterday, so perhaps the snow has melted a bit and shifted into a position where is is blocking the signal. I guess it is time to go outside into the snow to clear the dish..... :(

Thanks for the update...

#4 OFFLINE   EdJ

EdJ

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

Update....

The dish antenna is on the roof about 10 feet from the gutter edge. So, I scrounged around for a pole long enough to reach from the ladder. I hauled the extension ladder through the 18 inch deep snow to the back of the house and climbed on up. I REALLY did not want to get onto the roof if there was any way of avoiding it. The pole reached the edge of the dish and I gave it a few taps. That knocked off the snow that was piled up on it.

YEA!!!! The signal returned and the DW is happy again.... :D

#5 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

There are some discussions here about squirters and sprayers using various fluids like automotive windshield washer solvent others use to deal with this.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

Melty snow or ice tends to knock out satellite signals easier than loose powder. I have had to scrape C Band dishes that had a thin layer of wet snow where a thick layer of powder did not affect the signal. The DBS dishes used by DISH have required less attention but follow the same pattern.

Mine are at ground level so I'm not as worried about brushing them off.

#7 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

If you live in snow country you need one of these:

http://www.solidsign...sh-(hsslngrfkit)

Third year I have had one and no outages.

#8 OFFLINE   eclipsetrb

eclipsetrb

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

When we had snowmagedon a few years back I only lost signal after about 2 1/2 feet of snow. The other day we had 1 inch of wet snow and lost signal snow can be a weird thing on the sat.

#9 OFFLINE   Badfish740

Badfish740

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

In five years I've only had to clear snow off of the dish one time, and that was when we got walloped (Northwest NJ) with about 2 and a half feet in 2010-it wasn't so much that the dish was coated in snow (the angle here isn't that shallow so snow generally slides off anyway), but rather the dish was actually buried :lol: I've since gotten an HD dish which is at a bit less of an angle so my installer mentioned spraying silicone lubricant on it which should negate any snow issues.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...