Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need some advice on Interior/Exterior RGXX Cable

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pocolocobob

pocolocobob

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

A few months ago I had my DTV dish professionally aligned and the picture has been outstanding. We switched to the single cable type LNB gadget and the main connection is in my basement. The line that runs outside a basement "port" up to my 2nd floor DTV unit is two-pieces which are joined in the crawl space. The installer said that the cable signal was marginal and that I should replace it. He was far too busy that day to do it and said he doesn't like crawling through a floorless attic LOL.

OK, so the job is mine. The signal finally crapped out but my two other receivers are working just fine with good runs. I want to order a 100' finished cable and and I'm wondering should I get RG6 or RG59 and tell me whether solid copper core or copper-jacketed steel core is adequate. I have used the quad-shield Copper-clad steel core before and never had a problem, but this is the longest run in the house... about 75 feet by my estimation. I'd rather be safe than sorry so that's why I'd rather get a single 100-footer and eliminate the joints.

Appreciate the advice. Don't know if we can mention vendors here so that's why I didn't. But there are at least two decent ones I can think of.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

Rg6 is recommended, definitely. Copper-coated steel is ok if the line isn't carrying power, in other words if the SWM power inserter is on a different line. Depending on your configuration, though, there may be enough signal for live TV but not to share programming between receivers.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   pocolocobob

pocolocobob

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

Rg6 is recommended, definitely. Copper-coated steel is ok if the line isn't carrying power, in other words if the SWM power inserter is on a different line. Depending on your configuration, though, there may be enough signal for live TV but not to share programming between receivers.

Pretty sure that the wire that goes from the SWM Power Supply to the Dish/LNB is separate, meaning that its not _that_ troublesome line. The way he set it up, he has the LNB wire which I'm pretty sure is a stiff copper core one coming into the basement from the roof to the SWM PS, then the 2nd wire feeds a HD looking 1/4 splitter. The upstairs DTV receiver is fed from the splitter as are the other two located on the main floor and in the basement. Signal strength on those two is very good. Upstairs it now says "No Signal" which can mean a lot of things, but he told me it was weak but passable when he did the conversion to the single wire LNB.

My other two runs are around 25 feet or less so I'm going to replace all the old wire and color-code it as well. Black for bedroom, white for family room, green for basement. Just wanted to be sure the wires from the splitter could be RG6 and copper-clad steel quad-shield.

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,225 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

Unless you have an application that specifies RG59, you should NOT use RG59. Other than possibly bend radius, it is not as widely useful as RG6.

An attic run shouldn't require anything special in terms of UV rating unless it is exposed to the sun somewhere along the line.

Unless you live close to a powerful radio frequency transmitter, I don't recommend the higher cost and larger bend radius of quad shield.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   pocolocobob

pocolocobob

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

Unless you have an application that specifies RG59, you should NOT use RG59. Other than possibly bend radius, it is not as widely useful as RG6.

An attic run shouldn't require anything special in terms of UV rating unless it is exposed to the sun somewhere along the line.

Unless you live close to a powerful radio frequency transmitter, I don't recommend the higher cost and larger bend radius of quad shield.

Hard to explain, but the "attic run" is 50% indoors and 50% outdoors as noted in my original post. The cable is connected to the splitter in my basement 5' from the outside wall, exits through a wire port in the exterior wall, runs (outside in the weather) up the East side of the house alongside the chimney for about 25 feet, enters the attic and about 5' inside it couples to another cable that runs East to West in the crawl space about 40 feet, then drops into a closet to the floor (8'), is fed through the baseboard, then about 5' up to the receiver with enough slack to allow the "TV stand" on wheels to be slid over for general cleaning and wiring access to the back of the cabinet. The exterior portion of the cable is exposed to rain, snow, and sunlight... and its in the sun maybe 5-6 hours a day.

The cost doesn't bother me, I just don't want to have to replace it down the road sooner than if I had used a better quality wire. Quad shield 18 AWG RG6 wire is _not_ that expensive.

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,225 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

The cost doesn't bother me, I just don't want to have to replace it down the road sooner than if I had used a better quality wire. Quad shield 18 AWG RG6 wire is _not_ that expensive.

Quad shield is indeed that much of a headache though. It often requires different connectors (depending on the make and model of the connector) .

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   pocolocobob

pocolocobob

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

Quad shield is indeed that much of a headache though. It often requires different connectors (depending on the make and model of the connector) .

Thats a good point, although to be on the safe side (read on), I was going to order ready-made cables with connectors. I do have Ideal RG6 Quad shield compression connectors and a compression tool that I bought mainly for my Comcast broadband setup. I have their basic cable (backup LOL), internet, and phone service. So is there specific cable that is designated indoor/outdoor as opposed to only indoor?

One question though. Is there a simple online diagram of typical SWM wiring that shows the major component wiring in a multiple receiver home layout? In my case, I have three (3) receivers (one on each level; finished basement, family room 1st floor, master bedroom 2nd floor) and the SWM Power Supply is located in the basement 4' from the 4:1 splitter which has one (1) terminal capped. Do splitters have one specific connector designated for power or are all the wires receiving power from the power supply?

Reason I ask is that I thought maybe the bedroom connector was lose and thats why the signal was out. I unthreaded the connector yesterday and found it sort of "charred" inside and the core was missing! So I snipped the last 2" off and saw that the wire was fine back there... stripped it and added a new connector (had to use a crimp type bc the RG6 would not work on that wire. Anyway, reconnected and BAM! the DirecTV receiver in the bedroom is fine again, picture is razor sharp. What would cause the apparent shorting of the connector out of the blue? All I can think of is that it was a bad connector and somehow it got shorted out?

Regardless of the cause, I still intend to replace that 2-piece old wire run with a new, fresh, quality wire and now the thought of factory terminated wires makes more sense... right?

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,225 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

So is there specific cable that is designated indoor/outdoor as opposed to only indoor?

There is cable that is not UV resistant and that makes it unsuitable for outdoor exposure. It is almost funny that you mentioned color coding as many of the color sheathed cables aren't UV resistant.

A cable that is marked as being "plenum-rated" doesn't use PVC and and such, should not be used outdoors.

Is there a simple online diagram of typical SWM wiring that shows the major component wiring in a multiple receiver home layout?

Ideally you want a symmetric tree.

Do splitters have one specific connector designated for power or are all the wires receiving power from the power supply?

The appropriate splitters have their power passing port designated on the label.

What would cause the apparent shorting of the connector out of the blue? All I can think of is that it was a bad connector and somehow it got shorted out?

Some sort of high voltage incursion seems likely as the power supply in the DIRECTV equipment is probably not strong enough to burn the wire.

Regardless of the cause, I still intend to replace that 2-piece old wire run with a new, fresh, quality wire and now the thought of factory terminated wires makes more sense... right?

Not really. Cable factories produce wire in enormous quantities. Distributors and/or retailers terminate the wire for sale in small quantities. It is folly to assume/reason/infer anything about the relative quality of the finished product considering only one of the components or who is doing the labor. Only a critical review of the finished product will tell you if it is good.

#9 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,479 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

My first impulse is to recommend Belden RG6 cble. However, I don't know if you can find it preassembled with connectors. That being the case, having checked on Amazon, I see 100 ft. preassmbled cable by Terk (!) and Philips that are outdoor grade and in the $20 price range. I'm suspicious of other brands they have. I don't see that you would be having problems with bend radius, so I'd be inclined to choose quad shield .
Re: DIY connectors. I also have Ideal quad shield tool and connectors, but I find that with rough use, they tend to pull loose.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

Protected By... spam firewall...And...