Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ota sub channel info

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   logger

logger

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts
  • Locationellijay,ga

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

Is there any chance of getting program info on the local digital shbchannels?
I installed the ota module on my new 222k Friday and here it is Sunday night and the guide stlll only says"digital service".I hoped this would be on the screen and not have to turn to my atsc tuner to find out what is on Metv,THIS and others.Not a devastating problem but I'm a little disappointed. :P

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,693 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

Are you subscribing to your locals ? If not - no guide info. Granted - most packages are now including locals, so this should not be an issue.

The other thing that may come into account - perhaps your stations aren't supplying the guide info for their subchannels ?
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#3 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

Guide info seems to be hit or miss, I have 4 subchannels without info along with a main channel for ION also without info. Dish does supply the ION channel and never got any info as to why this one channel does not have info along with the other subs even though there is another subchannel with guide info while Dish does not carry it.

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,655 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

Check this list ...
Find your local market. If the channel's subchannels are not on that list you will not receive the EPG for those subchannels. (If you are receiving an OTA from another market check the list for the other market.)

DISH usually gets the primary channel info right ... for the channels they actually carry via satellite. Getting the OTA subchannel info right has been a bigger problem for DISH. There is a disconnect between the people actually doing the work of uplinking the data and tying it to an OTA channel and the customer service staff who don't seem to know that DISH does that. My attempts to get errors fixed by complaining have not been successful.

DISH may add an omitted channel but that request would need to come from your local station talking to the tech side of DISH. Customers calling CSRs will hit the same wall of ignorance mentioned in the last paragraph. :)

#5 OFFLINE   logger

logger

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts
  • Locationellijay,ga

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

Yea I get locals with dish.THIS does not have program info on the Atlanta station but METV and PBS Knowledge,Antenna TV have them off the antenna,along with ION and ION Life.Just makes it aggravating to go from Dish to tv tuner to see what is on.At least the national Ion feed has info on Dish.

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,008 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

You can also post your specific missing/wrong OTA EPG data in the:

Official OTA Report thread

Also look for other related discussion in the:

Official OTA Discussion thread

The Dish reps here (DIRT) have been known to pop into those threads, specifically the report thread, and ask for further information to try and assist.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#7 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

I've posted the missing Cleveland subchannels on the above threads but nothing ever changes. It seems that certain station ownership groups get their subchannel data to Dish while others do not.

The ownership group with the best guide data is Raycom. When they made some changes Dish was right on the very first or second day after the change (they dropped THIS for Bounce on WUAB 43.2, the correct Bounce programs appeared right away but it took a few days for the name of the channel to change). I also get MeTV Data on 19.2 which is also Raycom. THIS new home in Cleveland does not get the guide data (Winston Broadcasting's WBNX 55.3). Another MIA is Antenna TV on Community Television (formerly a FOX O&O WJW 8.2). Even Ganett's WKYC 3.2 weather channel has guide data (they put some E/I programming on the subchannel that shows up in the Dish guide).

ION is MIA but ironically has the correct channel names displayed where the programs should go (instead of the generic program name the other MIA stations get). Scripps WEWS 5.2 has LWN which is MIA as well.

Many of the MIA subchannels appear to be showing up in other markets (THIS which we used to get data and Antenna TV which we never had data).

I'm wonder if the track record of these ownership groups appear to be the same in other markets?
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#8 OFFLINE   logger

logger

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts
  • Locationellijay,ga

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

Ray from DIRT reported my no info problem.Nothing has changed in 5 days.Dish probably just doesn't care.I'm disappointed not getting info the ota is not much help without it,I stiil have to turn to the tv tuner to get the info.

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,008 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

A lot of us have reported varying degrees of OTA sub-channel data missing/wrong problems in that thread I directed you to earlier. I don't know exactly what causes some to get fixed and others not to get fixed. It really is a glaring hole because there is some good OTA sub-channel programming out there that some of us are missing because we have no data.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

spam firewall