Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hiding SWiM16

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

BTW just wanted to say thanks to all who contributed and kept me sane through this.

We're not miracle workers ya know. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   hjones4841

hjones4841

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

I installed my SWM16 inside the basement, mounted horizontally, and added one of these on top:

http://www.buyextras...cofanki14q.html

Figured a little cooling could not hurt. Have not checked the temp since putting it on, but should be quite a bit cooler.

I use these on top of AVRs and they work very well and are very quiet.

#43 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

Yeah - they need to and typically want to hear about these kinds of install "experiences".

2 Friends of mine have quit DirecTv, One got a job ther bc of the Lies of how much money you can make installing ! To find out you are really working for a 3rd party subcontractor LOL ! He ended up running around repairing bad installs from guys that dont care how it gets done just so long they get it in fast and get paid. So he didnt make much money as they promised ! Just used his knowledge the others didnt have.

The other Friend owns a Home Theater Store and has the contract with D to install in his area. He quit because when a customer system stops working D sends ther own Tech out and not him to fix it. And they back charge him for the work. Many times its the owner screwing up by nocking the dish out or as simple as the wire gets cut. So he had no control to find out what really happened. :nono2: The straw that broke the camels back was DirecTv wanted him to pay for the displays at his store ! LOL He now has Dish !

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#44 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

The straw that broke the camels back was DirecTv wanted him to pay for the displays at his store ! LOL He now has Dish !

Wild and the guy who did my install had done Dish for 6 years I believe he said and his dad was still a manager for Dish installs in the area but he had left for Directv because the pay was better. I guess it could vary wildly by region.

#45 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

And since I did ask about hiding it, I figured I would show you what I wound up with.

Posted Image

#46 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,263 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

With the cover closed there will be no airflow around the SWiM-16, I'm curious how hot it will get and how long it will last in there.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#47 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

With the cover closed there will be no airflow around the SWiM-16, I'm curious how hot it will get and how long it will last in there.

Yes...the heat would be my #1 concern as well.

Also, that compartment would seem to be a "collector" of water over time, something that corrodes the connectors.

#48 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

Yes...the heat would be my #1 concern as well.

Also, that compartment would seem to be a "collector" of water over time, something that corrodes the connectors.

It might get warm in there in the summer, Although that is a north facing wall that has never seen any direct sun light so at least I have that working for me. As for moisture, need I remind you we are in the south LOL. You cant escape the moisture. When I took the pic I felt the SWM and it was probably around 75 deg, barely warm to the touch but much higher than the 50 deg ambient outside.

I dont know that putting it inside that wall would have been much better, in the summer my garage can get to 90.

#49 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,905 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

Just watch for melted plastic. . .

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#50 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

It might get warm in there in the summer, Although that is a north facing wall that has never seen any direct sun light so at least I have that working for me. As for moisture, need I remind you we are in the south LOL. You cant escape the moisture. When I took the pic I felt the SWM and it was probably around 75 deg, barely warm to the touch but much higher than the 50 deg ambient outside.

I dont know that putting it inside that wall would have been much better, in the summer my garage can get to 90.

The moisture is only really an issue tied to the cable connectors. I've heard the south gets some rain from time to time. :D

As for the heat...mine is in the basement, so the room temp never gets over about 72 degrees...and the unit never gets hot beyond the ability to touch it.

Yeah..the garage will get warm too...but at least its dry.

#51 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

The moisture is only really an issue tied to the cable connectors. I've heard the south gets some rain from time to time. :D

As for the heat...mine is in the basement, so the room temp never gets over about 72 degrees...and the unit never gets hot beyond the ability to touch it.

Yeah..the garage will get warm too...but at least its dry.

Maybe before summer I should get the protection plan. LOL

#52 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

Maybe before summer I should get the protection plan. LOL

Now there's an idea...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...