Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dumb, Dumb, Dumb!

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,352 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:51 AM

... I'm only 5'10...an 8.5' roof and another 1-2' for the dish height means that my arms extended over my head plus the length of a snow removal tool (such as a broom) would only need to be about 5' in length to clear the snow. A standard broom is 4-5' long. Unless my math is off.

8/12 refers to the slope of his roof -- 8 inches downslope for every foot -- very steep, and his dish is 40' off the ground, not 8.5 ft.

Edited by Nick, 31 December 2012 - 07:57 AM.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

Great how once again a shortcoming of DirecTV Engineering is somehow the fault of the paying customer….

Give me a break!

#23 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,807 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

Do the people that write the code for these boxes ever actually use them? Today I have to wonder.

Here's the reason for my anger...

I was not asked if I wanted to reboot, I was just shown a screen with one choice, "OK", and then the machine rebooted. A reboot on this machine takes about 18 minutes.

This is infuriating!

Most electronic messages will default to what is shown if you do not change the choice.
I have not had this problem so I am asking if anyone else has and when the message is on the screen press the "Exit" button. Will that stop the reboot ? If you get this situation again, press the "Exit" button and see if it works.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#24 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

Great how once again a shortcoming of DirecTV Engineering is somehow the fault of the paying customer….

Give me a break!

Cummon Mike - I don't see this as "the fault of" anyone.

There's no engineering I'm aware of that makes snow "invisible".

Having lived in that climate more years than not myself (but no longer)...it's an unfortunate price you pay for residing in the "great white north".

I have vivid memories over decades of time of both cable and sat services being interrupted in winter because of snow cover. Ironically, the cable "went out" far more than the sat signal, but in both cases....it happened < 1-2 times a year.

There's also nothing a customer can do because their roof happens to have a steep pitch and that's where their dish is mounted. Despite now living in a much warmer climate...I still happen to have a steep-pitch roof scenario here at this time.

I made a conscious choice 12 years ago for a pole-mounted Dish and have never had a problem with it. In the event of any required service, or even just a re-alignment...a tech can walk right up to it to deal with it. Perhaps that's an option for the OP once the snow season ends.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#25 OFFLINE   dfd

dfd

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:27 AM

It appears that you may have missed this post. If your dish is 40' off the ground I would invest in one for sure, falling from a 3 - 4 level home would be fatal. In the mean time I would consider splitting the OTA signal and connecting your TV to the antenna now so you can switch in the future.

Good luck and be safe.

I will look at this come spring time.

#26 OFFLINE   dfd

dfd

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:30 AM

Having lived in that climate more years than not myself (but no longer)...it's an unfortunate price you pay for residing in the "great white north".

I have vivid memories over decades of time of both cable and sat services being interrupted in winter because of snow cover. Ironically, the cable "went out" far more than the sat signal, but in both cases....it happened < 1-2 times a year.

There's also nothing a customer can do because their roof happens to have a steep pitch and that's where their dish is mounted. Despite now living in a much warmer climate...I still happen to have a steep-pitch roof scenario here at this time.

I made a conscious choice 12 years ago for a pole-mounted Dish and have never had a problem with it. In the event of any required service, or even just a re-alignment...a tech can walk right up to it to deal with it. Perhaps that's an option for the OP once the snow season ends.

Not an option. I am barely clearing a massive oak in the adjacent lot as is. I probably only have a few years left before I will not be able to get the HD signals.

#27 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

Not an option. I am barely clearing a massive oak in the adjacent lot as is. I probably only have a few years left before I will not be able to get the HD signals.

That's very unfortunate. I have some tall pines here as well, which helped contribute to the choice of a pole dish (as well as a steep roof).

Finding a spot to get a clear line of sight is the key as you know...so perhaps if there is another option somewhere along a wall or lower on your roof line...that might be another alternative.

#28 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

I'm not talking about the snow in the dish... I'm talking about dfd missing his game because of a forced reboot and then posts like those from Hoosier205 and others that suggest it is somehow dfd's fault the receiver forced a reboot that did nothing but make his DVR useless.:nono2:

#29 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

I'm not talking about the snow in the dish... I'm talking about dfd missing his game because of a forced reboot and then posts like those from Hoosier205 and others that suggest it is somehow dfd's fault the receiver forced a reboot that did nothing but make his DVR useless.:nono2:

Forced reboots are not anyone's friend. ;)

But still...that's human intervention on a schedule...not engineering.

#30 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

Forced reboots are not anyone's friend. ;)

But still...that's human intervention on a schedule...not engineering.

My weekly reboots are a different story. The only human intervention to dfd’s game was DirecTV engineering!

#31 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:48 AM

My weekly reboots are a different story. The only human intervention to dfd’s game was DirecTV engineering!

Actually, the timing of those is triggered by a person.

#32 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,950 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

This would probably be a good situation for a dish heater. It's the safest way to clear the snow from the dish.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#33 OFFLINE   dfd

dfd

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

Correct.

It would be just as easy to ASK the customer if the/she wants to reboot or postpone it for a period of time. Gosh, even the guys in Redmond figured that one out eventually.

#34 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,950 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

Correct.

It would be just as easy to ASK the customer if the/she wants to reboot or postpone it for a period of time. Gosh, even the guys in Redmond figured that one out eventually.

How many times should it ASK the customer before trying to fix the problem? How many notifications did you receiver before it finally rebooted?

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#35 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,059 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

You said yourself you had multiple notifications of failure to acquire guide data. Those ask you if you want to reboot now or later. You were asked!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#36 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

Actually, the timing of those is triggered by a person.

In dfd's case that 'person' was DirecTV engineering! Or maybe he could have just left it on the 'ok' to restart screen and hit 'ok' after the snow melted?

He missed his game because of DirecTV engineering. They gave him the option of restarting and missing his game or not restarting and missing his game.

#37 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

How many times should it ASK the customer before trying to fix the problem? How many notifications did you receiver before it finally rebooted?

Mike

You said yourself you had multiple notifications of failure to acquire guide data. Those ask you if you want to reboot now or later. You were asked!

He could have restared sooner... And then he would have missed the entire game. Right?

#38 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,263 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

He could have restared sooner... And then he would have missed the entire game. Right?

He would have had time to hook up the antenna to his TV, do the scan and then watch the game, so yes he should have restarted earlier. :)

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#39 OFFLINE   dfd

dfd

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 168 posts

Mike

It should ask until the customer says yes, that is the way Windows updates work. What harm is caused by letting the customer continue w/o rebooting? In my case, I knew a reboot would not fix the problem as there is still snow on the dish.

I probably got three messages about no signal before the box rebooted. Even the last prompt didn't say that it was going to reboot but something more along the lines of, 'a reboot usually solves the problem', and then voila rage.

On the bright side, Romo did as Roma does...

#40 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,263 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Do the people that write the code for these boxes ever actually use them? Today I have to wonder.
[...]

The answer to the question you asked is yes.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

Protected By... spam firewall...And...