Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dumb, Dumb, Dumb!

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,437 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

There are several situations where you can have a leased box without directv service and not be charged.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

Why? Your argument isn't supported by the facts.

You might just not be seeing them.
A.K.A VOS

#143 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,216 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

With age comes wisdom and patience...well....sometimes... :D

I do try, but sometimes... :lol:

Rich

#144 OFFLINE   dudester

dudester

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

Didnt read the entire post but i splitmy ota antenaa at the box and ran another feed to my tv directly, in case the box goes out. It is much easier to scroll thru the hr20 than to switch inputs on tv so i normally just watch ota through the box, but have the option in just in case. I do not notice any quality loss in either, the signal still looks as good as or better that the local signal direct sends.

#145 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

....... i splitmy ota antenaa at the box and ran another feed to my tv directly, in case the box goes out. ......

I did the same thing. The split also gives me the option to watch all the digital channels available in my area. D* carries very few of the available digital channels.

PrimeStar/DIRECTV subscriber since 10/30/1994.
Roswell, GA (Atlanta Area)
2 D* HR24-100s and AM21s
MRV - D* SWiM LNB, PI-21 module, and Wireless DECA Cinema Connection Kit (CCK-W)
Linksys WRT310N

#146 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 939 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

I could see where someone would pay the non-returned receiver fee to continue to use as an OTA DVR with no more monthly fees; potentially years of free OTA DVR service could easily make paying the fee cost effective.

The down side would be not guide date. Even with that I'd bet if it were possible to do there'd be plenty who would do it.

Mike

I was only referring to the ota function, not the dvr. I don't have any problem with the dvr not working without a satellite signal, just the ota. The price that Directv would charge to keep a unit would likely be more than what it would cost to buy an ota tuner elsewhere.

#147 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 939 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

You might just not be seeing them.

Perhaps you would care to post some of them then.

#148 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

Perhaps you would care to post some of them then.

You already quoted one and used bold to highlight it.
Whether you believe it or not, what you're asking would turn them into "free" OTA DVRs.
A.K.A VOS

#149 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 939 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

You already quoted one and used bold to highlight it.
Whether you believe it or not, what you're asking would turn them into "free" OTA DVRs.

As I posted earlier, I was only talking about using ota without a satellite signal, not the dvr.

#150 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

As I posted earlier, I was only talking about using ota without a satellite signal, not the dvr.

DirecTV retains ownership, so if the receiver can't determine if it's still on an active account, it doesn't work.
The OTA works for a while if it hasn't lost power, but has lost the SAT signal.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall