Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How do you do this on the Hopper?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 625 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

About to switch from a 722 and two 612s to two Hoppers and a Joey. One question: Since we sometimes record shows that we don't watch for weeks, we will need to save individual shows from PTAT while deleting others (since we won't watch the show in the 8 days before it is autodeleted.)

One of the banes of our watching life is the cutting off of the last seconds to minute of a show that occurs when using the current Dish DVRs, due to Dish's guide not accurately showing a show starting at, say, 9:01 and ending at 9:31 (we've had a long discussion of this on another thread, so no need to start one here!) So - when we save, say, Mike and Molly from a PTAT recording, will it still cut off the last bit of the show the way it would if we recorded it? I.e. if the Dish guide showed it as 9:00 - 9:30, while it actually ran from 9:01 - 9:31, will what gets saved the 9-9:30?

Hope that makes sense - thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

You still set a series timer for those shows you want saved just as you would on the 722. You can also set your timer defaults to start early and end late just like on the 722 so that you don't miss the beginning or end when they move it a minute or so. The shows are still recorded as part of the PTAT stream but then they are saved as individual shows on the DVR list and your series timer settings control how many episodes are saved, if you want to protect them, etc. All the other shows from PTAT just show up in the PTAT folder and are deleted at the end of 8 days or sooner if that's how you have PTAT configured.

#3 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

There are some programs that routinely run a little long. If you have one that is important to save past the 8 days, set a regular timer, edited to add the extra time, and go to the daily schedule and unskip it (it will have been shown as skipped, PTAT event). It will then use a non PTAT tuner and add the extra time beyond the PTAT default.

#4 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 625 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

So, shows in the PTAT folder can't be selectively saved from that folder? And if I have to set a separate tuner timer for a show I want to save past the 8 days, I'm not way ahead of what I already have with my 722 am I?

#5 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

You can selectively save shows from the PTAT folder. And as far as I can tell, those saved shows are padded with your default padding. However, I haven't messed with it that much to know how it handles shows that run long.

#6 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 625 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

You can selectively save shows from the PTAT folder. And as far as I can tell, those saved shows are padded with your default padding. However, I haven't messed with it that much to know how it handles shows that run long.

Ah, that would be great. The issue now is that I can set a timer to go, say, 3 minutes long, but if another timer kicks in and takes over, you don't get those extra 3 minutes. E.g. - I set a show that "ends" at 9:30 to go 3 minutes long, to 9:33. But the same tuner is set to switch to another program at 9:30, so it cuts off the show at 9:30.

But if it works as you say, then that show, recorded by PTAT, is always going to have the extra 3 minutes since the PTAT is not switching off of that channel at 9:30.

I guess I need to just get it and see...

#7 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

So, shows in the PTAT folder can't be selectively saved from that folder? And if I have to set a separate tuner timer for a show I want to save past the 8 days, I'm not way ahead of what I already have with my 722 am I?

The biggest difference is that it still uses the PTAT tuner to record all 4 (if available) networks at once so you free up timers.

#8 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

And if I have to set a separate tuner timer for a show I want to save past the 8 days, I'm not way ahead of what I already have with my 722 am I?

If you click on any show in the PTAT folder you have multiple choices, one of these is "Save Series". Selecting this choice will take you to the timers menu where you can set the timer options and will also save a copy in My Recordings.. The other way is to use "Seek and record" to set up a timer just like Dish Pass on the Vip series. If you use "Seek and record" to set up a timer for one of the network shows PTAT will handle this automatically for you and make a copy in My Recordings. No matter how you do it for network shows you only use 1 tuner.

#9 OFFLINE   BillM

BillM

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

One other question about recording PTAT series...

If I set up a recurring timer for network shows, do these saved from PTAT recordings also save the commercial skip? We pretty much record all of the shows we watch for later recording in order to be able to skip commercials manually; it would be a great feature if the saved version of these shows automatically excluded the commercials.

Thanks.

#10 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

I believe that any one of those network programs that offers auto hop through PTAT will also offer auto hop even if PTAT is disabled. As long as they are on the hard drive and you wait till the next day, auto hop should be there. i'm not 100% but i'm pretty certain.

#11 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

One other question about recording PTAT series...

If I set up a recurring timer for network shows, do these saved from PTAT recordings also save the commercial skip? We pretty much record all of the shows we watch for later recording in order to be able to skip commercials manually; it would be a great feature if the saved version of these shows automatically excluded the commercials.

Thanks.

Yes. Autohop will be available the next day

#12 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

I have heard of AutoHop being available about an hour after evenings recording being done.

#13 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

When PTAT is disabled, Auto Hop is disabled also. Auto Hop is available with PTAT events saved to the HD as long as PTAT is enabled. Thanks.

I believe that any one of those network programs that offers auto hop through PTAT will also offer auto hop even if PTAT is disabled. As long as they are on the hard drive and you wait till the next day, auto hop should be there. i'm not 100% but i'm pretty certain.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...