Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

WKBT La Crosse, WI contract up tonight

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BosFan

BosFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts
  • LocationAltoona, WI

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

Getting a bit nervous on this one with the NFL playoffs starting and most of my regular shows from CBS. Don't care about the local content, would D* give us the national feed if the local feed is pulled? I am doubting it. Not sure even if I stick a good antenna on the roof that I can pick this one up from where I'm at. :(

Living room: Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30, HR23-700, Sony BDP-N460, Yamaha HTR-6140, Harmony 700
Family room: Vizio SV421XVT, HR24-500, Sony PlayStation 3, Yamaha R-7, Harmony 700
Bedroom: Vizio VA26L, HR21-200
SL-3, DECA, Whole-Home DVR, DTV since 4/09

Life isn’t like a box of chocolates…it’s more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your *** tomorrow.
---Author Unknown

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,104 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

They legally can't give you the national feed, unless you can get a waiver from the station. Those are very difficult to get even under good conditions.

#3 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

I've seen these crawls on the screen the past week. I just can't get all worked up over this stuff anymore. It seems like there is always a last minute extension/reprieve/settlement.

At least I could receive the station OTA if nothing is settled.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,104 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

Regular shows are put on CBS.com I believe, not sure if its all of them. Not ideal of course, but a work around.

I think some playoff games were streamed online last year.

#5 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

My local CBS WRAL and FOX WRAZ contracts expire tonight also. The 2 stations are owned by capital broadcasting, they are going as far as giving away free antennas to Directv customers.

#6 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 962 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

see, this is wrong.. you lose the network, now its a network "not offered" .. so you should IMMEDIATELY QUALIFY for the distant networks.. I mean in SECONDS.. that station is NO LONGER OFFERED.. hey tough crap for the local network.. Give the viewer the distant immediately and guess what.. there is no need for the local.

let me ask you this.. would you rather watch the news from the 115th ranked location or from the number one ranked location.. and which one do you believe has better announcers? and I was friends with one of the previous channel 8 announcers..

#7 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 962 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

also and you can ask Carl Spock about this, depending upon where you live in our area, you may or may not get one station, two stations, 10 stations or no stations OTA.. we are surrounded by bluffs.. and Channel 8 does nothing to service its viewers. they could easily put repeaters in at least one other location so that the whole coulee region was served.. They choose not to do so.. at this time, I don't even know if they broadcast in stereo.. WHY? they don't want to spend a dime, giving the viewers what they should have from a local affiliate.. what would serve them well, would be that some other station comes in and takes away the CBS affilation from them.. it would serve them justly.. I know that they were going to put in for not having to broadcast in HD because they didn't want to upgrade their equipment.. so trust me I dont weep for "Channel 8".. they aren't trying very hard to meet the needs of the coulee region.. and like it or not, Carl Spock knows that I am telling the truth..

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,104 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

I do believe you have to prove you cannot get it OTA. Those who actually do get it granted are very careful not to do anything that might cause them to lose that waiver.

#9 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 962 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

trust me CHannel 8 paid for MY test.. and the number was so low, that even the guy from the local tv shop who did the test , couldn't believe the number.. and I was immediately granted waivers.. and trust me I am not alone.. again, channel 8 doesn't care that you can't receive their signal. this has been a cable town before cable was anything anyplace else.. meaning you had to have cable to get even the local channels.. we live in bluff country.. its as unique as anyplace in the United States.. trust me it is.. very pretty.. but sucks for tv signals.. especially with cheaply run stations..

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,104 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

WRAL and WRAZ prove that it's not too late.

#11 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:24 AM

WKBT-TV is on the air in La Crosse this morning. No crawl. No explanation.

And bjlc was right. Given the geography, it's very possible to be blocked from receiving stations here even though they are only a few miles away. WKBT's tower is well out of town but the media market is goofy. It's long and skinny. I was able to get the HD national feed for Fox and ABC through DirecTV before our locals were available as LiL insertions, even though the towers were about 10 miles away, because even with the best roof top antenna, there was too much solid rock in the way.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,104 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

They did sign a deal yesterday.

#13 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,805 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

They did sign a deal yesterday.

Well I'm sure folks in that area will like that good news. :)

It's sad that those kinds of contract negotiations have to go down to the wire almost every time these days.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#14 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,104 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

Actually, looks like it was with time to spare. I had looked at their twitter account, not Facebook. The deal was reached by 3:30. But would be nice for these to be resolved without the tickers and such. Many are, but too many are not.

#15 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,805 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

Actually, looks like it was with time to spare. I had looked at their twitter account, not Facebook. The deal was reached by 3:30. But would be nice for these to be resolved without the tickers and such. Many are, but too many are not.

Agree....they should be settled with months to spare.

#16 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,633 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

Agree....they should be settled with months to spare.

Ironic, considering what is happening in Washington right now....
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#17 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,805 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

Ironic, considering what is happening in Washington right now....

Seems to be standard operating procedure for anything that matters huh? :eek2:;)

#18 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,633 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

Seems to be standard operating procedure for anything that matters huh? :eek2:;)

Even things that don't.

Always was amazed at how every NFL team took every second before making their draft picks.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#19 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,805 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

Even things that don't.

Always was amazed at how every NFL team took every second before making their draft picks.

....only to make the wrong choice anyway most of the time. :D

Now if we can only get the channel providers to understand the general public is fed up with the price-gouging of their content....

#20 OFFLINE   BosFan

BosFan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 182 posts
  • LocationAltoona, WI

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

Happy they reached a deal, hadn't thought of checking the twitter feed. Personally I felt like calling the station just to tell them to take D*'s offer rather than to back them up just because of the stupid crawl, but whatever. I was ready to head to CBS.com for the shows, as stated above not ideal, but they don't keep them up for long. At least if they ever get to this point with WEAU, WEUX or WQOW I can easily get those OTA, heck I can see the WQOW transmitter from my house! :)

Living room: Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30, HR23-700, Sony BDP-N460, Yamaha HTR-6140, Harmony 700
Family room: Vizio SV421XVT, HR24-500, Sony PlayStation 3, Yamaha R-7, Harmony 700
Bedroom: Vizio VA26L, HR21-200
SL-3, DECA, Whole-Home DVR, DTV since 4/09

Life isn’t like a box of chocolates…it’s more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your *** tomorrow.
---Author Unknown

Protected By... spam firewall...And...