Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR2x Motherboard Layout

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 637 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

Had an owned HR20-700 go out. Went out when it was unplugged (working properly) and plugged back in. Dead to the world. No signs of Power when AC connected.

The older versions had a seperate power supply section, so thought I might just find an old junked unit for sale and swap power supply sections.

Opened it up to find that the Power Supply and processor are on the same motherboard in the HR2x series (or at least the HR20). This seems to be the motherboard with most of the audio/video/ethernet/usb connections etc.

The second board has the 2 tuners etc and connection to the access card.

So the question, does anyone know with relative certainty if the RID number is kept on the board with the PSU and CPU - or the board with the tuners?

Makes sense to try and purchase an old scrapped HR20-700 if the RID is on the "tuner" motherboard. That way videos on Hard Drive would still be available.

Makes no sense to try and find one for purchase if the RID is on the board with the PSU.

Anyone know for sure?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,738 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

I did swap/repair tuners (not the small PCB with SC connector) and the RID didn't changed.
It would be simple check to eliminate SC PCB - but everything telling me the number is "engraved" on main PCB.

#3 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 637 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

I did swap/repair tuners (not the small PCB with SC connector) and the RID didn't changed.
It would be simple check to eliminate SC PCB - but everything telling me the number is "engraved" on main PCB.

I agree that RID is in chip on main PCB. Question is, which one is the main?

The PCB with PSU and CPU - or the PCB with tuners and connected to Access Card.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,738 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

main is where CPU [Broadcom] RAM, flash [FW], etc

#5 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 637 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

main is where CPU [Broadcom] RAM, flash [FW], etc

Seems logical, though if you discount the PSU section, the tuner pcb is probably larger and more populated than the other which really has a big cpu and heat sink taking up a lot of space.

It would seem to make more sense to have the "main computer" on that one pcb and then everything having to do with tuning (including RID etc) on the other, but whatever.

It would seem replacing tuner pcb that go bad or replacing motherboards that go bad (when they did that for a supply of refurbs HR20s) would have made it much easier if that was the case.

Looks like experimentation might be the only way to find out with 100% certainty where its stored :( but you have proven in the past your instincts are pretty good on these type things.

Not a lot to lose at this point.

#6 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,230 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

Seems logical, though if you discount the PSU section, the tuner pcb is probably larger and more populated than the other which really has a big cpu and heat sink taking up a lot of space.

It would seem to make more sense to have the "main computer" on that one pcb and then everything having to do with tuning (including RID etc) on the other, but whatever.

It would seem replacing tuner pcb that go bad or replacing motherboards that go bad (when they did that for a supply of refurbs HR20s) would have made it much easier if that was the case.

Looks like experimentation might be the only way to find out with 100% certainty where its stored :( but you have proven in the past your instincts are pretty good on these type things.

Not a lot to lose at this point.

Only thing I know of that you can do in your situation is check the fuse. If that is good, you're not gonna be able to change power supplys. All the 24s do have a seperate PS that is easy to change out and has no effect on the RID#. If you change out the motherboard of a 20-700, the RID# goes with the old motherboard.

Rich

#7 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 637 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

Just to wrap this up with confirmation in case someone else searches for answer in the future, as typical, P Smith is correct. RID is on the main motherboard and not on the tuner board. Swapped and verified.

As a side story, taking the motherboard out did identify my issue as well. AC connection was loose from motherboard. A solder iron did the trick.

As tight as the plug is on the HR20-700 units, it now makes even more sense why they say to reboot a unit from the menu or the red button as wiggling it out and re-plugging it in will certainly loosen this connection over time - as it did mine.

spam firewall