Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Nomad for Android in 2013?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dsexton

dsexton

Mentor

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

Does anyone want to wager whether or not we will get the Nomad Android app in 2013? I can't believe it STILL says "Coming Soon" on the web site. It has said that for over a year now. Is no one at DirecTV embarassed by that? I wrote a letter to DTV last spring. They actually called me to apologize for not being able to release the Nomad app. Come on DTV, release it already!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jmf243

jmf243

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

Or what about a native iPad app? Or fixing the problem where random recordings that have been prepared vanish from the Nomad for no apparent reason. There has been no significant development on Nomad since it was released as far as I can tell, with "Coming Soon" still listed comically on its web page. I bought my Nomad on the promise of native iPad support and I am still waiting.

#3 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,623 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

Does anyone want to wager whether or not we will get the Nomad Android app in 2013? I can't believe it STILL says "Coming Soon" on the web site. It has said that for over a year now. Is no one at DirecTV embarassed by that? I wrote a letter to DTV last spring. They actually called me to apologize for not being able to release the Nomad app. Come on DTV, release it already!

Oh...it's been a long time coming hasn't it...
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#4 OFFLINE   Aztec Pilot

Aztec Pilot

Legend

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

A long time indeed. It does not seem that there has been any attention paid to Nomad. This has been one of my favorite features, but now with two Nexus tablets from Santa, my box is becoming worthless.

#5 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,623 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

A long time indeed. It does not seem that there has been any attention paid to Nomad. This has been one of my favorite features, but now with two Nexus tablets from Santa, my box is becoming worthless.

Yeah - the "Android coming soon" info has been on the DirecTV site now for a year with no client release. Perhaps we'll learn more *soon*.

#6 OFFLINE   Hoffer

Hoffer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

First off, Android not having an app at all is the biggest joke of all. Way worse than any iOS complaint. Saying that, the iOS treatment is a joke. No native iPad app and still no update for the iPhone 5.

DirecTV needs to either just cancel Nomad all together or spend some money ASAP and get the apps for iOS and Android out there and up-to-date.

#7 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,623 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

First off, Android not having an app at all is the biggest joke of all. Way worse than any iOS complaint. Saying that, the iOS treatment is a joke. No native iPad app and still no update for the iPhone 5.

DirecTV needs to either just cancel Nomad all together or spend some money ASAP and get the apps for iOS and Android out there and up-to-date.

There is likely a lot more going on with nomad than posted in this thread.

No doubt it has not launched as fast or effectively as it should - I suspect almost anyone would agree with that. As a nomad user - I actually think it has the potential to be a key differentiator service over other competitors....but there's work to be done to get it solid.

Perhaps more information would help clarify some things. I have heard that there is some effort to acquire more information...so maybe that will surface in the near term.

#8 OFFLINE   Hoffer

Hoffer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

I don't expect any new information. I come back to this forum like once a month to see if there is any news on the Nomad. Just look at the stickie thread for it. Talking about Spring 2012 update. It has been almost a year since there was anything new about the Nomad.

I agree the Nomad could be great, but DirecTV obviously doesn't care about it. I'm not even sure why they even released it. It seems like they gave up on it when they released it.

#9 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

I have no inside knowledge here but keep in mind sometimes when something big comes out that changes media consumption the content creators wet the bed and call the lawyers in to renegotiate. Perhaps a licensing issue came about that has stalled any further public motion while development still goes on behind the scenes. One can hope.

#10 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

I basically gave up on this and have been trying to find other alternatives (I was looking at Vulkano for a bit, but I don't know). I check here once in a while to see if there is any discussion on this matter, and found this thread.

Disgusted with DirecTV over this whole thing, and even more aggravated that there are no good alternatives that I can find.

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!
My current setup can be found here!

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

I've heard those same sentiments before, Milkman, and although it saddens me to hear them, they're understood. All I can say is hope springs eternal and maybe we'll see some really good news in the coming months.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#12 OFFLINE   Hoffer

Hoffer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

I've heard those same sentiments before, Milkman, and although it saddens me to hear them, they're understood. All I can say is hope springs eternal and maybe we'll see some really good news in the coming months.

Only problem is you probably posted the bold part 12 months ago too. :)

Unless by comings months you mean the coming 60 months. :D

#13 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,623 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

Only problem is you probably posted the bold part 12 months ago too. :)

Unless by comings months you mean the coming 60 months. :D

I'm guessing things have dragged on longer than perhaps planned surrounding nomad. At least those signs appear to be out there. After all...the DirecTV site has listed the Android client as "coming soon" for a year now.

Every new year tends to bring new information...so we'll see.

#14 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

although it saddens me to hear them, they're understood.

It saddens me to say them, especially with the money that I pay on a monthly basis to DirecTV. Here I am TRYING to buy equipment, and there is no development on the platform.

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!

#15 OFFLINE   billcoff

billcoff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

Last summer I reported that I wan't getting Nomad video on my Mac Mini. The issue was escalated and I was told DTV engineering was aware of the issue and a software update would be available soon. I was given specific dates in September, October, and November. After it didn't happen on the fifth date I was given, I was told they had a software date, but it didn't work when field tested. It was back to the drawing board with a possible fix in January, 2013. I have since been using a Vulkano Flow to record programs for viewing on my Mac Mini and for travel.

This issue did have a silver lining, as DTV gave me a fairly good deal on a Genie upgrade, so I probably won't be threatening to go elsewhere for the next two years.

All of this is documented on the Directv Technical Help Forum
http://forums.direct...PostID=11101942

Edited by billcoff, 04 January 2013 - 09:38 AM.

#16 OFFLINE   prushing

prushing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

I basically gave up on this and have been trying to find other alternatives (I was looking at Vulkano for a bit, but I don't know). I check here once in a while to see if there is any discussion on this matter, and found this thread.

Disgusted with DirecTV over this whole thing, and even more aggravated that there are no good alternatives that I can find.

I didn't get the Nomad because of this and some other restrictions. I went with Vulkano and I love it. Glad I got it and didn't wait for the Nomad disaster to finally get released/fixed. Only downside is the reviewed shouldn't be used when recording to Vulkano.

#17 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

DirecTV doesn't even list the Android platform as "Coming Soon" any longer.

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!

#18 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

DirecTV doesn't even list the Android platform as "Coming Soon" any longer.

Maybe that is because they are going to Release it any day now so maybe that is a Good Sign!!! :hurah:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#19 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

Maybe that is because they are going to Release it any day now so maybe that is a Good Sign!!! :hurah:

You are funny. :)

The listed platforms are there, but no Android.

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!

#20 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

You are funny. :)

The listed platforms are there, but no Android.

I think you will see it very soon and then you will not have to worry anymore as you can Enjoy as I too have waited quite some time for this Android to come out. :D
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

spam firewall