Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Nomad for Android in 2013?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,083 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

You are funny. :)

The listed platforms are there, but no Android.

Those things have been known to change quickly. It's happened before.

To answer the original post....yes to 2013....and likely *soon*.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jimmy_27320

jimmy_27320

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

Are we there yet? I am waiting to purchase the nomad.

#23 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,083 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:43 AM

I got a fortune cookie yesterday that said "Expect good things this month that you have been awaiting for some time".

So obviously it's coming. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#24 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:48 AM

I got a fortune cookie yesterday that said "Expect good things this month that you have been awaiting for some time".

So obviously it's coming. :D

So yeah - make sure you NEVER look at fortune cookies again.

The wait goes on and on and on and on and.............

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!
My current setup can be found here!

#25 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

The one right before that had a fortune telling me I'd win the lottery...that didn't turn out either. :D

haha.

The "coming soon" being removed looks like it is more and more telling. We get never get any official communications about upcoming stuff from DirecTV, and the fact that they removed it tells a story to me.

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!

#26 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,296 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

All I can say is "something" is happening at the end of next month….
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#27 OFFLINE   jimmy_27320

jimmy_27320

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

All I can say is "something" is happening at the end of next month….

Can you give a little more information?

#28 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:16 PM

I think it will be soon... But...
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#29 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

As of right now, DTV is only focusing on the iOS market. And only on non jailbroken devices because their agreement with Apple was to not allow jailbroken devices work with the DirecTV apps to help deter people from jailbreaking their Apple devices. Pretty lame....

Edited by Volatility, 09 April 2013 - 09:27 PM.

#30 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

As of right now, DTV is only focusing on the iOS market. And only on non jailbroken devices because their agreement with Apple was to not allow jailbroken devices work with the DirecTV apps to help deter people from jailbreaking their Apple devices. Pretty lame....

Actually I would think that the agreement would be between DirecTV and the channel providers that makes them only support non-jailbroken devices, not Apple. The channel providers want to protect their programming, and they feel that jail broken devices might make it easier to get pirated versions of the shows out there.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#31 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

The channel providers want to protect their programming, and they feel that jail broken devices might make it easier to get pirated versions of the shows out there.

Is there any evidence at all that jailbreaking supports piracy of protected content?

I suspect it has more to do with Apple holding the keys to the app store and demanding that listed products aren't jailbreak friendly.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#32 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

Is there any evidence, heck if I know, but since when has that kept the MPAA from being crazy about DMA etc and protecting their content.

That said it wouldn't suprise me if there were apps out there for jailbroken phones that capture the video and audio streaming to them. Just like video capture apps on a computer (which DirecTV looks for and disables Nomad and DirecTV2PC if it finds them). Do you think they do that because Microsoft is super protective of all the apps that run in Windows, or is it more likely that it is the channel providers/studios pushing for it just like they push for copy protection, Macrovision, Java, Cinavia etc. on VHS, DVDs and Blu-Rays.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#33 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,296 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

Is there any evidence at all that jailbreaking supports piracy of protected content?

There might be no evidence but once an iPhone is JB'd, anything is up for grabs…
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#34 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:45 AM

Theorizing that it could happen may be fun, but why get the content people wound up if it turns out that it isn't really possible?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#35 OFFLINE   xandor

xandor

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

Same boat here - waiting for Nomad to support Android before buying.

I'm pretty patient -- I'm still working with 2 HR20's, even though I'd like to be using HR24's (but that's another discussion).

1 HR20-700 connected via HDMI to a Sharp 52" LCD/LED TV (Bedroom)
1 HR20-700 connected via HDMI to a Samsung 46" LCD/LED TV (Living Room)
1 H21-200 connected via HDMI to a 19" Samsung TV (Kitchen)
1 HR24-500 connected via HDMI to a 32" Vizio TV (Basement)

All connected to a splitter to an AU9 dish with SWM-5 LNB and to DECA

#36 OFFLINE   ikoniq

ikoniq

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

With the transition from Nomad to GenieGO marketing strategies, I've been told that Android support is in the pipeline.  That being said, dates were not specified, and I have a strong feeling that Android support is being built in Valve time.

Any opinions, express or implied, are solely my own and do not reflect the views of DirecTV, our other representatives, employees, or other associated/affiliated companies.

My Equipment: 1x HR44-500, 1x HR24-200, 1x H25-100, 2x D12-100
My Programming: Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST MAX, NBA LP, NHL CI, MLS DK, Fox Soccer Plus, En Espanol

#37 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

Yawn yawn.  Same ole story.  

I don't mean any offense but this doesn't tell anyone anything.  Android has been in the "pipeline" for quite some time and still no official word, and no official progress.  People like me are tired of waiting, especially when Android market share is greater than Apple, and has been for quite some time.  This is where you will undoubtedly tell me that Apple is easier to code for since Apple has a single platform, etc., etc.  While that is certainly true, I have seen no efforts to code for ANY of the Android platforms, even the platform with the greatest share.

Anyway, I am tired of the silence, I am tired of the delays, and I don't think I am out of line for having these feelings.  We have waited long enough, and the stock price over the last year clearly shows that DirecTV is making money, it isn't like they are barely getting by.  My bill shows the same (yes, I know that all of that doesn't go to DirecTV, but you get my drift).

Again I apologize if I sound snippy or rude.  That isn't my intent.

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!

#38 OFFLINE   ikoniq

ikoniq

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

Yawn yawn.  Same ole story.  

I don't mean any offense but this doesn't tell anyone anything.  Android has been in the "pipeline" for quite some time and still no official word, and no official progress.  People like me are tired of waiting, especially when Android market share is greater than Apple, and has been for quite some time.  This is where you will undoubtedly tell me that Apple is easier to code for since Apple has a single platform, etc., etc.  While that is certainly true, I have seen no efforts to code for ANY of the Android platforms, even the platform with the greatest share.

Anyway, I am tired of the silence, I am tired of the delays, and I don't think I am out of line for having these feelings.  We have waited long enough, and the stock price over the last year clearly shows that DirecTV is making money, it isn't like they are barely getting by.  My bill shows the same (yes, I know that all of that doesn't go to DirecTV, but you get my drift).

Again I apologize if I sound snippy or rude.  That isn't my intent.

Again, Valve Time.  Maybe it'll come around sometime around the release of Half-Life 3. :P

Any opinions, express or implied, are solely my own and do not reflect the views of DirecTV, our other representatives, employees, or other associated/affiliated companies.

My Equipment: 1x HR44-500, 1x HR24-200, 1x H25-100, 2x D12-100
My Programming: Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST MAX, NBA LP, NHL CI, MLS DK, Fox Soccer Plus, En Espanol

#39 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

Sigh

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!

#40 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,296 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

especially when Android market share is greater than Apple, and has been for quite some time.  

We can debate this all day long…

Edited by peds48, 17 April 2013 - 03:51 PM.

• ikoniq likes this
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...