Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Nomad for Android in 2013?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

When can debate this all day long…

I certainly don't want to do that.  

Let's just say they are the same for the sake of argument.  Let's just say that Android is 5 points lower than Apple.  It still doesn't dismiss my argument.  There is a lot of people that use Android - bottom line, the amount of time that has passed is inexcusable.

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!
My current setup can be found here!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,923 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

I certainly don't want to do that.  

Let's just say they are the same for the sake of argument.  Let's just say that Android is 5 points lower than Apple.  It still doesn't dismiss my argument.  There is a lot of people that use Android - bottom line, the amount of time that has passed is inexcusable.

Now we are on the same page  :righton:

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#43 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

Now we are on the same page  :righton:

It really doesn't matter.  For fanbois on both sides to argue who has greater market share dilutes the intent of the original argument, and I wish it was never brought up.

When fighting about market share, people from both sides make the second place holder look like they are the Symbian OS or something.  Whatever report you want to look it they basically say the same thing, and it is that they are close, and now I am very sorry that I added it as part of my argument.

Edited by Milkman, 17 April 2013 - 04:02 PM.

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!

#44 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,923 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

Market Penetration, Android fragmentation and ease of programming all come into factors when deciding who to program for.  A big plus is that iOS users spend more money that Android

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#45 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:24 AM

There are some significant differences between writing apps for iOS and for Android. In some cases, Android is easier because there are more 3rd party tools. But for an app that is going to have to scale and display streaming video, and provide DRM that satisfies the content owners, Android presents a number of challenges. The broad array of different displays, different processor architectures, and the rapid evolution of the OS itself all make such an application challenging on Android. There are many Android apps, for example, that don't work correctly on Ice Cream Sandwich. Personally, I believe we would have seen an Android Nomad client by now were it not for ICS and the many changes implemented in that release.

All that being said, count me in as someone that would love to see a Nomad client for my Droid DNA (which has a 1280x1920 display and runs ICS). :)

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#46 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:31 AM

Market Penetration, Android fragmentation and ease of programming all come into factors when deciding who to program for.  A big plus is that iOS users spend more money that Android

Yes.  Let's talk about this:

• Market Penetration - Right there with Apple.
  • Fragmentation - Obviously this is the biggest problem - Android has much more fragmentation
  • Ease of programming - I would say - very similar to iPhone.
  • Money spending - Mac users spend more money than PC users.  Historically iOS users buy more apps than Android users.  Why?  Is it because there are more free Android Apps?  Is it a user base thing (most people I know that have iPhones are kids and they buy lots of games) iIs it because people that have iOS devices truly just spend more money (adults)?  I don't know, but I think this is a hard argument to stand on.

BOTTOM LINE????

Your points are good ones and would probably explain why an iPhone app was made first...  BUT PLEASE REMEMBER - THE IPHONE APP HAS BEEN OUT FOR QUITE SOME TIME!!!!  I am not arguing that Android should have been made first, I am arguing that it should NOT have taken this long to get similar functionality to the Android platform.  Again, we aren't talking about Symbian OS.

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!

#47 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,923 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

Didn't I say we can debate this all day long….. !rolling

They "money argument" was that (maybe?) since iOS users tend to spend more money, perhaps DirecTV thinks that having an iOS app might lead to more revenue from "pay movies" :computer:

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#48 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

Didn't I say we can debate this all day long….. !rolling

They "money argument" was that (maybe?) since iOS users tend to spend more money, perhaps DirecTV thinks that having an iOS app might lead to more revenue from "pay movies" :computer:

Maybe, but I again refresh my point:

BUT PLEASE REMEMBER - THE IPHONE APP HAS BEEN OUT FOR QUITE SOME TIME!!!!  I am not arguing that Android should have been made first, I am arguing that it should NOT have taken this long to get similar functionality to the Android platform.  Again, we aren't talking about Symbian OS.

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!

#49 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,149 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

Agreed that an Android app for Nomad has been needed for quite some time.

#50 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:11 AM

So Peds...

All I can say is "something" is happening at the end of next month….

While it isn't quite the end of the month yet, we are about a week out.  When you said "something" is happening, did you mean that the market would be closing above 15k for the first time???  :/

Is your ETA for "something" still correct, or does it need to be revised??

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!

#51 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

So Peds...

While it isn't quite the end of the month yet, we are about a week out.  When you said "something" is happening, did you mean that the market would be closing above 15k for the first time???  :/

According to my calendar we are about 3 weeks from the end of May.  Not sure what calendar you have that has it only one week away, if my calendar is wrong then I'm in a lot of trouble since my little girl is due May 20th, and I thought I still had almost 2 weeks till then :lol:

Edited by Beerstalker, 08 May 2013 - 10:34 AM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#52 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

According to my calendar we are about 3 weeks from the end of May.  Not sure what calendar you have that has it only one week away, if my calendar is wrong then I'm in a lot of trouble since my little girl is due May 20th, and I thought I still had almost 2 weeks till then :lol:

lol yeah I screwed that up...  Oh well...  Been a long week already :(

I am not confident anyway.  At this point the whole thing is just a source of sour amusement.

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!

#53 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,923 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:08 PM

So Peds...

It should be right on track.  but is not under my control if "something" does not happen…vague enough?…. !rolling

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#54 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

It should be right on track.  but is not under my control if "something" does not happen…vague enough?…. !rolling

Oh, I was sure you were just the messenger.  No biggie.  :)

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!

#55 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:16 AM

My guess:  DirecTV will officially announce the re-branding of the nomad to GenieGo.  Very shortly thereafter (or even at the same time) they will announce an Android compatible app.  Then, this summer the DirecTV app for iPad will be updated and will integrate the GenieGo app into it. 

Only God and a few people at DirecTV knows when they will release a similar DirecTV app for Android tablets with similar integration. 

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#56 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:17 AM

My guess:  DirecTV will officially announce the re-branding of the nomad to GenieGo.  Very shortly thereafter (or even at the same time) they will announce an Android compatible app.  Then, this summer the DirecTV app for iPad will be updated and will integrate the GenieGo app into it. 

Only God and a few people at DirecTV knows when they will release a similar DirecTV app for Android tablets with similar integration. 

At this point, I don't really think that even god knows.

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!

#57 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,923 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

Hmm, you are on the right path…..

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#58 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:37 AM

Tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock 

:/

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!

#59 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,923 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

is coming very soon, more like around the corner.... :righton:

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#60 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

is coming very soon, more like around the corner.... :righton:

So...September?  :grin:

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

Protected By... spam firewall...And...