Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Using own router w/ UVerse 2Wire modem; Whole Home problems now appearing

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

Unfortunately, at my Texas abode I'm stuck with having to pay exorbitant prices for AT&T's crappy UVerse Internet service. No other ISP is permitted in this complex, despite that Comcast is in all the adjacent ones. Anyway...

I'm stuck with UVerse's 2Wire modem/router, which doesn't even have wireless N capabilities. Its range is about 2 feet it seems (trust me, it sucks). I have a newer and much better Netgear router sitting in storage and wish to use that as my "primary" wireless router. Can I do this, and if so, how do I configure it?

Note: Is it possible to do this and not have the Netgear right next to the 2Wire? I ask because it'd be nice to have the Netgear in a different room, thereby "expanding," so to speak, this apartment's wireless coverage. I do have ethernet cables running into a couple other rooms, if that helps.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

Yes, you can do that. Turn off the wireless capability on the Uverse modem/router. Connect the Netgear router to the modem. Make sure to not use the WAN port on the Netgear router. You will also want to turn off the DHCP server on the Netgear modem. As the Netgear router might have an IP address that conflicts with the Uverse router, you might want to connect the Netgear directly to a laptop first to change the settings, to include setting up the wireless settings.

- Merg
  • FHSPSU67 likes this

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

I prefer to have my Apple AirPort Extreme handle DHCP. In this setup, I have my TWC modem pass a bare public IP address to it. I find this to be a faster and more efficient setup than having the APE pass the DHCP over to the modem.

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

I prefer to have my Apple AirPort Extreme handle DHCP. In this setup, I have my TWC modem pass a bare public IP address to it. I find this to be a faster and more efficient setup than having the APE pass the DHCP over to the modem.

Kevin

While you can use the DHCP server on the Netgear and turn it off on the Uverse modem, sometimes that is more of a pain to setup.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

While you can use the DHCP server on the Netgear and turn it off on the Uverse modem, sometimes that is more of a pain to setup.

- Merg

I agree with the above statement. I had to go into some diagnostics modes on my Ubee modem to complete this. Worth it in my opinion.

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

Following this thread closely to see the end of the story...and how well it works once in operation.

Considering a similar switch here now that AT&T finally completed the 2 year delay of actually having an option to switch.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#7 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

I'll tell ya--if Comcast was available in my complex, I'd dump UVerse Internet so damn fast they wouldn't know what hit them.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#8 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

I'll tell ya--if Comcast was available in my complex, I'd dump UVerse Internet so damn fast they wouldn't know what hit them.

Interesting...in our 500+ home subdivision here...the reverse is already happening in droves (UVerse just became available a short time ago) based on Comcast poor customer service and downtime reliability. :shrug:

#9 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

In suburban Chicago I was paying ~ $30/month (promo price for 12 months, then $49.95/mo thereafter) for consistent speeds of 30MB down (50MB with their Boost service) and 6-8MB up. With UVerse, I'm paying $70/month for 20MB down and 3MB up, their so-called "Pro" service, which is their fastest speed. Horrible.

#10 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

In suburban Chicago I was paying ~ $30/month (promo price for 12 months, then $49.95/mo thereafter) for consistent speeds of 30MB down (50MB with their Boost service) and 6-8MB up. With UVerse, I'm paying $70/month for 20MB down and 3MB up, their so-called "Pro" service, which is their fastest speed. Horrible.

No doubt the quality of service, and also the customer service levels...vary in regions around the country. Both of those rates and service speeds beat or equal most of what is available in other places.

In terms of pricing...promo rates are used by all providers to entice at first..then reality comes when the term is up.

Considering how much downtime my neighbors have experiences with Comcast, not to mention some of the worst customer service ever...the price almost becomes secondary.

#11 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

Jumping to $49.95/month for 30 or more megs down and 6-8 megs up was a good value, IMHO. Paying almost double that for about half the speed is not.

#12 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

Jumping to $49.95/month for 30 or more megs down and 6-8 megs up was a good value, IMHO. Paying almost double that for about half the speed is not.

Some people in these parts think Comcast is run by Lord Vader....so I can understand the "love" for it by a few. :D

#13 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:25 AM

If I ran it, everything would be much smoother and things would be in order.

#14 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:41 AM

If I ran it, everything would be much smoother and things would be in order.

I'll let my neighbors know. ;)

#15 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,895 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

Don't feel bad, I'm paying ~$70 plus fees for this and fees for that, for a blazing 15/5 that they (local cable) just increased from 12/4 'for free'.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#16 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:44 AM

Don't feel bad, I'm paying ~$70 plus fees for this and fees for that, for a blazing 15/5 that they (local cable) just increased from 12/4 'for free'.

On the plus side...it's still exponentially faster than many other parts of the country make available...even some very big cities.

#17 OFFLINE   steve053

steve053

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

Lord Vadar,

I have the crappy 2Wire router and am succussfully using my Linksys router. The key is to place your router in the 2Wire's dmz. Here is a cut and paste of instructions that I found that are working today for me:

There is no true bridge mode on the 2Wire routers. However, you can still configure it such that almost all functions of your own router will work properly.

1. Set your router's WAN interface to get an IP address via DHCP. This is required at first so that the 2Wire recognizes your router.
2. Plug your router's WAN interface to one of the 2Wire's LAN interfaces.
3. Restart your router, let it get an IP address via DHCP.
4. Log into the 2Wire router's interface. Go to Settings -> Firewall -> Applications, Pinholes, and DMZ
5. Select your router under section (1).
6. Click the DMZPlus button under section (2).
7. Click the Save button.
8. Restart your router, when it gets an address via DHCP again, it will be the public outside IP address. At this point, you can leave your router in DHCP mode (make sure the firewall on your router allows the DHCP renewal packets, which will occur every 10 minutes), or you can change your router's IP address assignment on the WAN interface to static, and use the same settings it received via DHCP.
9. On the 2Wire router, go to Settings -> Firewall -> Advanced Configuration
10. Uncheck the following: Stealth Mode, Block Ping, Strict UDP Session Control.
11. Check everything under Outbound Protocol Control except NetBIOS.
12. Uncheck NetBIOS under Inbound Protocol Control.
13. Uncheck all the Attack Detection checkboxes (7 of them).
14. Click Save.

Oh and the local IP address of the 2wire on my is 192.168.1.254

I made the mistake of getting everything up and running, then discovering that I didn't use the UPS or have the power cords running where I wanted. Powering down removed my router from the 2Wire dmz and also removed the ip address from my router. I got everything up and running again, but it was quite the pia.

Also, uverse blocks the sending of emails from domains other than AT&T. You have to grant access to your non AT&T email account, which is relativey simple, but again a PIA if you dont' know. This external post explains how to authorize your e-mail accounts.

Best of luck.
HR34 hardwired to router
Panasonic 50" Plasma (TH50PX60U)
Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR707)
Harmony 670 Remote
Polk speakers /Velodyne sub

#18 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

Lord Vadar,

I have the crappy 2Wire router and am succussfully using my Linksys router. The key is to place your router in the 2Wire's dmz. Here is a cut and paste of instructions that I found that are working today for me:

There is no true bridge mode on the 2Wire routers. However, you can still configure it such that almost all functions of your own router will work properly.

1. Set your router's WAN interface to get an IP address via DHCP. This is required at first so that the 2Wire recognizes your router.
2. Plug your router's WAN interface to one of the 2Wire's LAN interfaces.
3. Restart your router, let it get an IP address via DHCP.
4. Log into the 2Wire router's interface. Go to Settings -> Firewall -> Applications, Pinholes, and DMZ
5. Select your router under section (1).
6. Click the DMZPlus button under section (2).
7. Click the Save button.
8. Restart your router, when it gets an address via DHCP again, it will be the public outside IP address. At this point, you can leave your router in DHCP mode (make sure the firewall on your router allows the DHCP renewal packets, which will occur every 10 minutes), or you can change your router's IP address assignment on the WAN interface to static, and use the same settings it received via DHCP.
9. On the 2Wire router, go to Settings -> Firewall -> Advanced Configuration
10. Uncheck the following: Stealth Mode, Block Ping, Strict UDP Session Control.
11. Check everything under Outbound Protocol Control except NetBIOS.
12. Uncheck NetBIOS under Inbound Protocol Control.
13. Uncheck all the Attack Detection checkboxes (7 of them).
14. Click Save.

Oh and the local IP address of the 2wire on my is 192.168.1.254

I made the mistake of getting everything up and running, then discovering that I didn't use the UPS or have the power cords running where I wanted. Powering down removed my router from the 2Wire dmz and also removed the ip address from my router. I got everything up and running again, but it was quite the pia.

Also, uverse blocks the sending of emails from domains other than AT&T. You have to grant access to your non AT&T email account, which is relativey simple, but again a PIA if you dont' know. This external post explains how to authorize your e-mail accounts.

Best of luck.

OK, but one critical question--must my Netgear router be connected directly to my 2Wire, or can I have my Netgear connected in another room via a lengthy ethernet cable I have running into that other room?

What is the recommended connection?

BTW, it sounds like if I ever have a power outage, even a momentary one, I'm going to have to run through hoops to get my Internet up and running. Am I reading that correctly?

#19 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

OK, but one critical question--must my Netgear router be connected directly to my 2Wire, or can I have my Netgear connected in another room via a lengthy ethernet cable I have running into that other room?

BTW, it sounds like if I ever have a power outage, even a momentary one, I'm going to have to run through hoops to get my Internet up and running. Am I reading that correctly?

Based on that previous post...it appears the settings get saved...and are available in the event of a power outage. :shrug:

Otherwise yes...it would be a PITA.

#20 OFFLINE   steve053

steve053

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

The connection from the 2Wire to your router is via ethernet cable (LAN to WAN). As long as your cable run does not exceed 100 meters you should be just fine.

I can't say that you will or you won't. I did have some problems the first time I disconnected and restarted my system, but I can't completely rule out user error. I did it when I was under a tight time deadline - so I may have inadvertently changed a setting in my haste. :confused:

The second time that I unplugged and moved everything it seemed to work just fine on boot up. My router had the correct 2Wire dhcp address, it was in the 2Wire dmz, and the correct boxes were checked and unchecked in the 2Wire firewall. I had more issues connecting the Sprint AirRave femtocell to the dmz of my router.

All of my newtorking gear is on a UPS so I won't have to worry about a power hiccup.
HR34 hardwired to router
Panasonic 50" Plasma (TH50PX60U)
Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR707)
Harmony 670 Remote
Polk speakers /Velodyne sub

Protected By... spam firewall...And...