Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Using own router w/ UVerse 2Wire modem; Whole Home problems now appearing

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,132 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

Well, what I was considering doing is connecting my Netgear router via an ethernet (50') that itself is connected to my 2Wire router/modem. For example, the master bedroom, located on the other side of my apt. from where the 2Wire router is, has an ethernet cable running to it. This one is connected to an HR24 receiver. So is it OK to remove that connection and instead connect it to the Netgear router, then from the Netgear, simply connect another (albeit shorter) ethernet cable to the HR24? This would accomplish two things: keeping the HR24 hard-wired connected and boost my wireless signal in the master BR.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   steve053

steve053

Godfather

• Registered
  • 327 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

This configuration will work using the instructions posted earlier:

HR24 (LAN) connected via ethernet to NetGear Router (LAN)

NetGear Router (WAN) connected via ethernet to 2Wire Router (LAN)

The 50' run from router to router is not a problem in and of itself.
HR34 hardwired to router
Panasonic 50" Plasma (TH50PX60U)
Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR707)
Harmony 670 Remote
Polk speakers /Velodyne sub

#23 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,132 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

Lord Vadar,

I have the crappy 2Wire router and am succussfully using my Linksys router. The key is to place your router in the 2Wire's dmz. Here is a cut and paste of instructions that I found that are working today for me:

There is no true bridge mode on the 2Wire routers. However, you can still configure it such that almost all functions of your own router will work properly.

1. Set your router's WAN interface to get an IP address via DHCP. This is required at first so that the 2Wire recognizes your router.
2. Plug your router's WAN interface to one of the 2Wire's LAN interfaces.
3. Restart your router, let it get an IP address via DHCP.
4. Log into the 2Wire router's interface. Go to Settings -> Firewall -> Applications, Pinholes, and DMZ
5. Select your router under section (1).
6. Click the DMZPlus button under section (2).
7. Click the Save button.
8. Restart your router, when it gets an address via DHCP again, it will be the public outside IP address. At this point, you can leave your router in DHCP mode (make sure the firewall on your router allows the DHCP renewal packets, which will occur every 10 minutes), or you can change your router's IP address assignment on the WAN interface to static, and use the same settings it received via DHCP.
9. On the 2Wire router, go to Settings -> Firewall -> Advanced Configuration
10. Uncheck the following: Stealth Mode, Block Ping, Strict UDP Session Control.
11. Check everything under Outbound Protocol Control except NetBIOS.
12. Uncheck NetBIOS under Inbound Protocol Control.
13. Uncheck all the Attack Detection checkboxes (7 of them).
14. Click Save.

Oh and the local IP address of the 2wire on my is 192.168.1.254

I made the mistake of getting everything up and running, then discovering that I didn't use the UPS or have the power cords running where I wanted. Powering down removed my router from the 2Wire dmz and also removed the ip address from my router. I got everything up and running again, but it was quite the pia.

Also, uverse blocks the sending of emails from domains other than AT&T. You have to grant access to your non AT&T email account, which is relativey simple, but again a PIA if you dont' know. This external post explains how to authorize your e-mail accounts.

Best of luck.

OK, I finally have some time to try this, but I'm confused as to how exactly to connect my Netgear to my 2Wire. The way the instructions read, they make it seem like I make the changes in my router but the damn thing's not even connected yet. Are they implying I connect directly to my Netgear first, make some changes there, then connect it to the 2Wire? Regardless, to which port on the 2Wire does the Netgear get connected? And the ethernet cable that goes from the 2Wire to my Netgear, into which port on the Netgear does it go?

I must be brain fried or something, because I'm not sure of what goes where and when. :confused: :grin:

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#24 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,237 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

OK, I finally have some time to try this, but I'm confused as to how exactly to connect my Netgear to my 2Wire. The way the instructions read, they make it seem like I make the changes in my router but the damn thing's not even connected yet. Are they implying I connect directly to my Netgear first, make some changes there, then connect it to the 2Wire? Regardless, to which port on the 2Wire does the Netgear get connected? And the ethernet cable that goes from the 2Wire to my Netgear, into which port on the Netgear does it go?

I must be brain fried or something, because I'm not sure of what goes where and when. :confused: :grin:

If you just want the Netgear to act as a simple wireless access point for you for your network, this should do it for you:

Yes, you can do that. Turn off the wireless capability on the Uverse modem/router. Connect the Netgear router to the modem. Make sure to not use the WAN port on the Netgear router. You will also want to turn off the DHCP server on the Netgear modem. As the Netgear router might have an IP address that conflicts with the Uverse router, you might want to connect the Netgear directly to a laptop first to change the settings, to include setting up the wireless settings.

- Merg

Your 2Wire will still handle DHCP and and all other aspects of your network. The Netgear would just be used as a switch for devices hard wired and an access point for wireless devices. There might be a setting on the Netgear when you go into the setup to specify it is just an access point.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#25 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,132 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

I actually WOULD prefer my Netgear to be my sole wireless instrument (there would be possibly one or two items connected to it hard-wired, though). However, my Uverse 2Wire would serve as the main modem, into which are connected several items, from a DirecTV receiver to an Ooma telo to my PC and to a multiport switch.

Do your instructions above allow for such a configuration?

#26 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,237 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:41 AM

I actually WOULD prefer my Netgear to be my sole wireless instrument (there would be possibly one or two items connected to it hard-wired, though). However, my Uverse 2Wire would serve as the main modem, into which are connected several items, from a DirecTV receiver to an Ooma telo to my PC and to a multiport switch.

Do your instructions above allow for such a configuration?

So, you would still have devices plugged into your 2Wire correct? If so, then you'll want to use the directions I provided. That allows your 2Wire to continue to act as a router, however, the Netgear is controlling wireless access to your network. The big thing is to turn off the DHCP server on the Netgear first and if the Netgear has a setting to be designated as an Access Point you need to select that option.

- Merg

#27 OFFLINE   steve053

steve053

Godfather

• Registered
  • 327 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

So, you would still have devices plugged into your 2Wire correct? If so, then you'll want to use the directions I provided. That allows your 2Wire to continue to act as a router, however, the Netgear is controlling wireless access to your network. The big thing is to turn off the DHCP server on the Netgear first and if the Netgear has a setting to be designated as an Access Point you need to select that option.

- Merg

I agree with Merg. If you want/need to use the 2Wire router with multiple devices on your network then follow Merg's advice.

The directions I posted create a quasi bridge mode in your 2Wire router and allow you to use your Netgear router as a router for your network. Merg's advice basically changes your Netgear into a wireless access point with a switch.

When connecting your Ooma telo to the 2Wire, you may want to log into the 2Wire and put the Oooma in the dmz.
HR34 hardwired to router
Panasonic 50" Plasma (TH50PX60U)
Onkyo Receiver (TX-SR707)
Harmony 670 Remote
Polk speakers /Velodyne sub

#28 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,132 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

OK, thanks. I guess I was primarily double-checking to see if I first had to connect my Netgear to the 2Wire directly to make the necessary settings adjustments on the Netgear, THEN I could move the Netgear to the other room to act as the wireless access point.

Everything is hard-wired, so the Netgear is really only going to be used to provide better wireless connectivity to one or two wireless devices that are in a room on the other side of my apartment from where the 2Wire is.

BTW, in the FWIW dept., AT&T stopped by on Wednesday to replace the 2Wire with what they said was their "newer, more advanced" model. It's a 2Wire339, and its wireless signal is as weak and pathetic as the 2Wire559 I had. Even the UVerse technician noticed this. When he went into the master bedroom and did a speed test from his smart phone, he said that when the signal is present, it's strong, but that "the signal keeps dropping." I told him that that was unacceptable. How could a wireless signal 3 rooms (~ 40 feet away) drop so frequently?

#29 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

How could a wireless signal 3 rooms (~ 40 feet away) drop so frequently?

Interference? Have you tried changing the wireless channel?

#30 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,132 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

Yup. Didn't help. Remember, too, that Uverse modems are not wireless N capable, just G, not that that would make a world's difference here, though.

#31 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

do you live in a faraday cage? :lol:

my 2wire reaches well outside my house even tho it's in my basement..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#32 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,132 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

No; it's just that this 2Wire modem/router SUCKS!

Yet another reason why I miss Comcast as my ISP.

#33 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,132 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

OK, this is where I'm confused now:

1. Set your router's WAN interface to get an IP address via DHCP. This is required at first so that the 2Wire recognizes your router.
2. Plug your router's WAN interface to one of the 2Wire's LAN interfaces.
3. Restart your router, let it get an IP address via DHCP.

How do I do #1 on my Netgear?

#2 is simple.

Regarding #3--how do I let my Netgear get an IP address via DHCP?

And Merg said to not use my router's WAN port, but the above referenced instructions tell me to connect my Netgear to my 2Wire via the Netgear's WAN port.

Damn. I wish I was of a generation that understood all this computerspeak better. :lol:

#34 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,237 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

When you connect to the Netgear and change it to be an Access Point with the DHCP server turned off, it will automatically obtain an IP address via DHCP from the 2Wire. There will probably also be an option to turn the WAN port into a LAN port. If you do that you can use the WAN port. As an Access Point, the Netgear is just like a switch so you don't use the WAN port.

- Merg

#35 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,132 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

OK, but where exactly do I find the section to actually turn the Netgear into an access point?

#36 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,603 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

For what it's worth...some of us are geting some value out of the information posted...
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#37 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,132 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

Indeed. I definitely am, even if I'm still confused here and there. :lol:

#38 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,603 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

Indeed. I definitely am, even if I'm still confused here and there. :lol:

That's OK....been there, done that. :D

Still, by exchanging information and even "debating it" to a calm degree...we're learning.

#39 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,132 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

True. Now if I can just figure out where I go to on my Netgear to turn it into an access point. :P

#40 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,603 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

True. Now if I can just figure out where I go to on my Netgear to turn it into an access point. :P

Try this...

http://kb.netgear.co...an-access-point

spam firewall