Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Using own router w/ UVerse 2Wire modem; Whole Home problems now appearing

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

Since it was changed that is now what you will have to type into the address bar to access it always.
If you want to you can change it to something else under Advanced section>LAN Setup>LAN TCP/IP Setup

I'll leave it at that, assuming it stays as 10.0.0.1.

Now I just have to double-check the 2Wire's settings. I disabled that thing's wireless capability so I can use my Netgear as the primary wireless router.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:51 AM

Okay, I sort of got lost what all steps have you done thus far?

LOL! You expect me to remember exactly what I've done? I think I was trying this and that just to get its access back. :P

Anyway, I followed these instructions that were posted by steve:

There is no true bridge mode on the 2Wire routers. However, you can still configure it such that almost all functions of your own router will work properly.

1. Set your router's WAN interface to get an IP address via DHCP. This is required at first so that the 2Wire recognizes your router.
2. Plug your router's WAN interface to one of the 2Wire's LAN interfaces.
3. Restart your router, let it get an IP address via DHCP.
4. Log into the 2Wire router's interface. Go to Settings -> Firewall -> Applications, Pinholes, and DMZ
5. Select your router under section (1).
6. Click the DMZPlus button under section (2).
7. Click the Save button.
8. Restart your router, when it gets an address via DHCP again, it will be the public outside IP address. At this point, you can leave your router in DHCP mode (make sure the firewall on your router allows the DHCP renewal packets, which will occur every 10 minutes), or you can change your router's IP address assignment on the WAN interface to static, and use the same settings it received via DHCP.
9. On the 2Wire router, go to Settings -> Firewall -> Advanced Configuration
10. Uncheck the following: Stealth Mode, Block Ping, Strict UDP Session Control.
11. Check everything under Outbound Protocol Control except NetBIOS.
12. Uncheck NetBIOS under Inbound Protocol Control.
13. Uncheck all the Attack Detection checkboxes (7 of them).
14. Click Save.

Oh and the local IP address of the 2wire on my is 192.168.1.254

Where I kept/keep getting confused is #1 and #8--how to set the Netgear's IP address via DHCP.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#83 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:53 AM

I noticed this in the 2Wire when I'm supposed to check DMZPlus button:

Allow all applications (DMZplus mode) - Set the selected computer in DMZplus mode. All inbound traffic, except traffic which has been specifically assigned to another computer using the "Allow individual applications" feature, will automatically be directed to this computer. The DMZplus-enabled computer is less secure because all unassigned firewall ports are opened for that computer.

Note: On LAN devices which have a Private IP address, once DMZplus mode is selected and you click save, the system will issue a new IP address to the selected computer. The computer must be set to DHCP mode to receive the new IP address from the system, and you must reboot the computer. If you are changing DMZplus mode from one computer to another computer, you must reboot both computers.

I'm wondering if this is what screwed up my Netgear with respect to its IP address.

#84 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,292 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:58 AM

On the Netgear, what type of IP Address is displayed on the Router Status page (under Maintenance section) and below that does Connection say DHCP?

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#85 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:00 AM

There is no such maintenance section shown.

#86 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:02 AM

I think this is what you're asking about, correct?

Hardware Version WNDR4000
Firmware Version V1.0.0.90_9.1.79
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.90_2.1.17.1
LAN Port

MAC Address E0:46:9A:6A:74:1E
IP Address 10.0.0.1
DHCP On

#87 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,292 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:10 AM

Yes that is, I notice that says LAN port, the directions posted above #2 show you should have the ethernet cable connected to the WAN port of the Netgear instead of the LAN port, this port is usually marked yellow or red. Now going into the 2Wire should be a LAN port not WAN.

Also make sure 'Get Dynamically from ISP' is selected under Basic Settings for #1 & #8 step, and you will need to restart as stated in step #8.

Edited by coolman302003, 05 January 2013 - 02:16 AM.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#88 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

Yes that is, I notice that says LAN port, the directions posted above #2 show you should have the ethernet cable connected to the WAN port of the Netgear instead of the LAN port, this port is usually marked yellow or red. Now going into the 2Wire should be a LAN port not WAN.

I think that was for the setup portion only.

Also make sure 'Get Dynamically from ISP' is selected under Basic Settings for #1 & #8 step, and you will need to restart as stated in step #8.

I unplugged the Netgear and moved it into the other room. While I can get wireless access to it just fine, I cannot otherwise get any Internet access with it. I connected a DirecTV receiver and another Internet-connectable device, and neither shows Internet connectivity. Furthermore, when I go into the Netgear's settings page on my PC, on the Netgear's basic info page, under Internet it shows in big red "No connection." Obviously, something's wrong here. That "No connection" also showed when I had it connected directly to the PC.

Edited by Lord Vader, 05 January 2013 - 02:29 AM.

#89 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:32 AM

Update: I went back into my Netgear's settings and did something and now get Internet access with it. I also had to change the connection on the Netgear itself. I went through the setup on my HR24 that is now connected to my Netgear, and the HR24 says it's connected to the Internet and that Whole Home is active and fine. However, when I check the Whole Home status, it says "No networked DVRs found."

So now I have a problem. The HR24 says it's connected to the Internet, and it says Whole Home is active. However, none of my other DVRs are showing in the playlist.

#90 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,292 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:39 AM

After reading back over the entire thread, it appears those instructions are if you want to use the Netgear to do all the "routing" because those settings you change in the 2Wire are basically giving no firewall or protection and would be equivalent to connecting a cable modem directly without any type of firewall etc.

Anyway, I think you would actually leave DHCP turned on for the Netgear if it will be the networking equipment handing out IP address to your devices, go to LAN Setup and turn it back on then reset the Netgear.

#91 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:43 AM

The 2Wire will handle all the Internet connections to my PC and all DirecTV receivers and my Ooma Telo. My Netgear is being used solely as a wireless router that has wireless N and G and is more powerful than the crappy 2Wire. Because of this, the Netgear is in another room where one of the HR24's is also located and connected via an ethernet cable that comes directly from my 2Wire.

I have that ethernet cable going to my Netgear's WAN port, then an ethernet cable from the Netgear's LAN port into the HR24. It shows it's connected to the Internet, but my other DVRs are not showing in the playlist.

#92 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:46 AM

This configuration will work using the instructions posted earlier:

HR24 (LAN) connected via ethernet to NetGear Router (LAN)

NetGear Router (WAN) connected via ethernet to 2Wire Router (LAN)

The 50' run from router to router is not a problem in and of itself.

Just an FYI, Steve--this is how I have it connected. My HR tests as being connected, but when I go to the Whole Home Setup, it shows connected and authorized, but it also says "No networked DVRs found." Obviously there is a problem somewhere.

#93 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,292 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:54 AM

Do you have the Posted Image displayed under STB Services Port. This is found by holding down Info on the remote about 3-5 secs then More System Info. If you do, proceed to Network Setup>Network Services>Connect Now

#94 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:09 AM

No, that is not present. As I said, everything shows connected.

Anyway, I fixed the problem. It's not exactly pretty, but it works. Here's what I did, mainly because I've spent enough time on this crap.

I had an extra DLink 8-port switch lying around. I took that and set it next to the Netgear router. I took the ethernet Internet cable from the 2Wire that was going into the Netgear's WAN port and connected it to port #1 of the DLink hub. I then took the Netgear's ethernet cable from its LAN port #1 that was running to the HR24 and connected it to the DLink's port #2 and ran it from there to the HR24. Finally, I took an additional ethernet cable and ran it from my DLink's port #3 then ran it to my Netgear's WAN port.

Like I said, it ain't pretty, but it accomplishes what I wanted to accomplish in that room: getting a powerful wireless signal and maintaining my HR24's hard-wired connectivity and Whole Home connectivity.

I think this matter is now closed. For now. But feel free to scratch your head as to what I did. Like I said, I don't care; it works, and that's all that matters. :joy:

What have we all learned from this saga? Oh, that's easy--AT&T Uverse Internet sucks. Sucks big time!

#95 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,292 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:26 AM

I think this matter is now closed. For now. But feel free to scratch your head as to what I did. Like I said, I don't care; it works, and that's all that matters. :joy:

Glad to hear you got it fixed! Whatever works right? I hope I didn't confuse you to much either, at times I think I even confused myself.

What have we all learned from this saga? Oh, that's easy--AT&T Uverse Internet sucks. Sucks big time!

Note to self: Do not switch to U-Verse Internet anytime soon, especially as I hate the idea of the all in one gateways in the first place. I will be keeping Charter Cable for the foreseeable future, and with the cable modem, router, and switch all separate.

#96 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:37 AM

Messing around with routers, switches and gateways can be frustrating, but it's also a great learning experience in order to understand the basics of networking. After reading through your experience here, it reminds of exactly what I went through when I decided to expand my home network a couple of years ago. Trust me, the more you do it the more it will all make sense.

#97 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:19 AM

Well, I don't know if really learned anything that I was supposed to learn, because the ultimate connection that I thought I should have done and that was suggested by someone else here turned out to not work. I just kind of surmised that a different kind of connection would work, and it did.

#98 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,816 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

Well, I don't know if really learned anything that I was supposed to learn, because the ultimate connection that I thought I should have done and that was suggested by someone else here turned out to not work. I just kind of surmised that a different kind of connection would work, and it did.

Even a blind squirrel....
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#99 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,636 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

You don't want / need the #3 cable from the switch to the Netgear WAN port.

Infact, if you remove the #1 cable and plug it into a LAN port - and remove the switch completely, you should have the same results.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#100 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,636 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

In fact, that was in post #2 from the Merg!

And only have DHCP on on the 2-wire. The post #86 above shows it also on on the Netgear.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...