Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Using own router w/ UVerse 2Wire modem; Whole Home problems now appearing

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

You don't want / need the #3 cable from the switch to the Netgear WAN port.

Infact, if you remove the #1 cable and plug it into a LAN port - and remove the switch completely, you should have the same results.

Actually, no. The results are not the same. Yes, I get Internet access, but my networked DVRs don't show. So far, the only way I can get them to show on the network AND have Internet access at the same time is to connect things the way I did, regardless if that way was not the recommended way.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Even a blind squirrel....

Blind, deaf, dumb-I don't care. It works, and that's all that matters.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#103 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,651 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

Blind, deaf, dumb-I don't care. It works, and that's all that matters.

Indeed that is true.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#104 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Absofrickinlutely!

#105 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,651 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

Absofrickinlutely!

That just blew up my spell-checker...so I'll do a reinstall. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#106 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

:D

#107 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,335 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

Another reason why DirecTV went to DECA to not support home networks!

And don't be surprised if you have problems in about a week - or whatever the IP leasetime is.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#108 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

DECA is too much of a problem for my setup here.

What, then, is the explanation as to why your suggested setup does not work for Whole Home? As I stated earlier, I tried that route, but the networked DVRs were not detected.

#109 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

To be honest, LV, I have no idea what you really have in your network. Never a diagram, just 100+ posts on what was done or not done.

The answer was in Post #2 to make your Netgear a wireless access point and it was downhill from there.

Putting a switch inline with the LAN connection was the same as moving that connection from WAN to a LAN port. You could have plugged your HR24 into the Netgear Lan port instead of the switch.

But it's way too confusing!

#110 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

You seemed to have not read what I said--I DID just that, but it didn't completely work! I had Internet access, but my HR24 was unable to see the other networked DVRs. Moreover, when I went into the 2Wire, it showed that HR24 as "not connected."

I appreciate your help, I really do, but I remain puzzled as to why you suggested something that, for whatever reason, did NOT fully work.

The answer was in Post #2 to make your Netgear a wireless access point and it was downhill from there.

As was explained earlier, Merg's was one of two routes I could have taken. I was mistakenly interpreting the solutions given, his and steve's posting of the step-by-step process, as something to be combined. When I went back and tried Merg's, that didn't work. I then went and tried steve's. When I finally got everything working, even after connecting it via the method you suggested, only the stupid setup of the DLink being involved ended up working.

#111 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

Like I said, I have no idea what else is connected or how it's connected. You just don't run a cable from a switch to the WAN side of a router that's not supposed to be a router!

I've tried diagnosing problems with someone's wireless only to find they're connected to their neighbor's wireless!

I'm glad it's working for you. Enjoy.

#112 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

You just don't run a cable from a switch to the WAN side of a router that's not supposed to be a router!

Well, that was the ONLY way to get both Internet access AND Whole Home full functionality (i.e., seeing all networked DVRs).

#113 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

LV,

What is the model of your Netgear?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#114 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

WNDR4000

#115 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

WNDR4000

Gimme the night and I'll post directions to make sure you have everything set up correctly and to make sure everything will stay working.

- Merg

#116 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

OK, sounds good.

#117 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

Okay, I believe I found the manual for you modem/router so here we go...

1. On your desktop browser go to http://gateway.2wire.net or you can use the IP address of the router, which I believe defaults to 192.168.1.254
2. After logging into the router, click the Home Network tab
3. Click the Advanced Settings link under the Home Network tab
4. You should have a section that shows your Current Settings, to include the router IP address and DHCP range. If the DHCP range is from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.253, we will need to update it.
5. In the section for Settings, click on the radio button for Configure Manually. In the IP address box enter 192.168.1.254. In the Subnet Mask box enter 255.255.255.0. Check the Enable DHCP box. Enter in the First DHCP Address box 192.168.1.100. Enter in the Last DHCP Address box 192.168.1.150.
6. Disconnect the switch that is installed between the Netgear and the 2Wire.
7. Disconnect the Netgear.
8. Disconnect your PC from the 2Wire and plug it into one of the LAN ports on the Netgear and reboot your PC.
9. Log into the Netgear setup page by going to http://www.routerlog..._HiddenPage.htm
10. Select to Disable Configuration Assistant.
11. Make sure the IP address of the Netgear is set outside the DHCP range set above and is not the same as the 2Wire.
12. Make sure the DHCP server on the Netgear is turned off.
13. Disconnect the Netgear from your PC.
14. Connect an Ethernet cable from the 2Wire to your PC.
15. Connect an Ethernet cable from the 2Wire to a LAN port on the Netgear.

Let me know if you have any issues.

- Merg

Edited by The Merg, 07 January 2013 - 12:47 AM.

#118 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

OK. I'll give this a try, but it may not be until tomorrow. I'm trying to finish stuff up now related to work, then head to bed for an early wake-up.

BTW, what does this setup do? I ask not because I'm being argumentative or confrontational. On the contrary, I'm just seeking to better understand from someone with more expertise in this than me. :)

Also, what do I do after I log into my Netgear in step 9?

#119 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:54 AM

OK. I'll give this a try, but it may not be until tomorrow. I'm trying to finish stuff up now related to work, then head to bed for an early wake-up.

BTW, what does this setup do? I ask not because I'm being argumentative or confrontational. On the contrary, I'm just seeking to better understand from someone with more expertise in this than me. :)

Also, what do I do after I log into my Netgear in step 9?

Sorry about that. Working in my iPad and needed to quit from my post before I was finished. I've reworked it a bit so it should be complete now.

This should make it so that your network is set up correctly. This should prevent issues with IP addresses being duplicated.

- Merg

#120 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:35 PM

Lord Vadar,

I have the crappy 2Wire router and am succussfully using my Linksys router. The key is to place your router in the 2Wire's dmz. Here is a cut and paste of instructions that I found that are working today for me:

There is no true bridge mode on the 2Wire routers. However, you can still configure it such that almost all functions of your own router will work properly.

1. Set your router's WAN interface to get an IP address via DHCP. This is required at first so that the 2Wire recognizes your router.
2. Plug your router's WAN interface to one of the 2Wire's LAN interfaces.
3. Restart your router, let it get an IP address via DHCP.
4. Log into the 2Wire router's interface. Go to Settings -> Firewall -> Applications, Pinholes, and DMZ
5. Select your router under section (1).
6. Click the DMZPlus button under section (2).
7. Click the Save button.
8. Restart your router, when it gets an address via DHCP again, it will be the public outside IP address. At this point, you can leave your router in DHCP mode (make sure the firewall on your router allows the DHCP renewal packets, which will occur every 10 minutes), or you can change your router's IP address assignment on the WAN interface to static, and use the same settings it received via DHCP.
9. On the 2Wire router, go to Settings -> Firewall -> Advanced Configuration
10. Uncheck the following: Stealth Mode, Block Ping, Strict UDP Session Control.
11. Check everything under Outbound Protocol Control except NetBIOS.
12. Uncheck NetBIOS under Inbound Protocol Control.
13. Uncheck all the Attack Detection checkboxes (7 of them).
14. Click Save.

Oh and the local IP address of the 2wire on my is 192.168.1.254

Okay, I believe I found the manual for you modem/router so here we go...

1. On your desktop browser go to http://gateway.2wire.net or you can use the IP address of the router, which I believe defaults to 192.168.1.254
2. After logging into the router, click the Home Network tab
3. Click the Advanced Settings link under the Home Network tab
4. You should have a section that shows your Current Settings, to include the router IP address and DHCP range. If the DHCP range is from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.253, we will need to update it.
5. In the section for Settings, click on the radio button for Configure Manually. In the IP address box enter 192.168.1.254. In the Subnet Mask box enter 255.255.255.0. Check the Enable DHCP box. Enter in the First DHCP Address box 192.168.1.100. Enter in the Last DHCP Address box 192.168.1.150.
6. Disconnect the switch that is installed between the Netgear and the 2Wire.
7. Disconnect the Netgear.
8. Disconnect your PC from the 2Wire and plug it into one of the LAN ports on the Netgear and reboot your PC.
9. Log into the Netgear setup page by going to http://www.routerlog..._HiddenPage.htm
10. Select to Disable Configuration Assistant.
11. Make sure the IP address of the Netgear is set outside the DHCP range set above and is not the same as the 2Wire.
12. Make sure the DHCP server on the Netgear is turned off.
13. Disconnect the Netgear from your PC.
14. Connect an Ethernet cable from the 2Wire to your PC.
15. Connect an Ethernet cable from the 2Wire to a LAN port on the Netgear.

Let me know if you have any issues.

- Merg

I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm having problems with my Whole Home/MRV. First, as I've been discussing in PMs with VOS and Merg, here is my setup, admittedly unique:

• Two DVRs I'll call DVRs #1 and 2 (1 HR24 and 1 HR21) that are connected to my apt. building's main dish, which itself has enough tuner capability via its SWiMs
  • Five DVRs I'll call DVRs #3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 (1 HR44, 1 HR24, 1HR22, and 2 HR20-700s) connected to the dish that I installed on the balcony when I moved into this unit. These are connected via a SWiM16: the Genie through port 2 of the SWiM16, and the other 4 DVRs off port 1 and its powered splitter. The BSF is connected directly to the input of the powered 8-way splitter, per the recommendation of a DECA expert to place it there. (If that placement of the BSF isn't correct, please let me know.)

Because of this "hybrid" setup, it was explained to me that DECAs won't actually work unless I get CCKs for each, redo my router, etc. (In short, it was explained to me that DECA can only connect through a common path/wire. In my dual setup, each would need to be tied together, which might be best done with a CCK on each and run through my router.) However, as someone not as "networkly experienced," shall I say, that sounds like more trouble than it's worth, so I think I'll just keep them connected via ethernet. After all, Whole Home/MRV had been working among all DVRs, across both systems, ever since I connected them using an ethernet connection--until now. I don't know what the problem is, but DVRs #1 and 2 (the two connected to the building's dish/SWiM) no longer see DVRs #3-7 OR each other. DVRs #3-7 don't see #1 or 2, either. DVRs #3-7 do see each other; MRV works among them.

All DVRs show connected to the Internet; they can all download On Demand programs. I've rebooted DVRs #1 and 2, redone the network connection, even tried restarting network services. However, when I attempt the latter, I always get an error message saying, "Unable to start network services (202)".

I quoted the above two instructions because I'm wondering if they are in conflict with each other--which one should have been followed? When I look back in retrospect, I don't believe I did either; rather, I think I got distracted with work and just left my original modem-router configuration alone. Regardless, as I said above, Whole Home/MRV had been working fine until just recently.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but this all began happening right after the MDU technician came out to correct a 775 sat. signal loss error. It turned out that my DVRs #1 and 2 with their total of 4 tuners, plus other tenants' DVRs and their tuners, exceeded the dish's SWiM tuner capacity. The guy said he installed another item in the chain to increase the number of tuners from the current building max of 16 to 32. Once he did that, my 775 messages totally disappeared.

I'm at wit's end trying to figure out, though, why DVRs #1 and 2 can no longer retain their Whole Home capability. Any ideas?

spam firewall