Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

AM21 wiring/diplex ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   premio

premio

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

I wanted to see if anything has changed, and didn't find a recent thread.

Can I pass sat and OTA over a single cable through a SWM8 either by the internal diplexer, or by reserving a SWM channel somehow? I'm considering hooking up the AM21 to the HR34, but have some limitations in my ability to add another cable.

I only have one HR34 and one HR21 in my environment, and utilize whole home features.

thx
<!---
It's Comcastic!
--->

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

I wanted to see if anything has changed, and didn't find a recent thread.

Can I pass sat and OTA over a single cable through a SWM8 either by the internal diplexer, or by reserving a SWM channel somehow? I'm considering hooking up the AM21 to the HR34, but have some limitations in my ability to add another cable.

I only have one HR34 and one HR21 in my environment, and utilize whole home features.

thx

The part that I highlighted, means you can't.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   premio

premio

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

thanks Vos, good to see you still kicking around these parts.

I made sure to mention that because I remember that being the limiting factor before - maybe some day.

edit: if i dumped the hr21 for a c31 genie client, do I still have the same limitation?
<!---
It's Comcastic!
--->

#4 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 848 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

What you describe will work perfectly fine, so long as you use Ethernet for the MRV (AKA: Whole Home), rather than DECA. If not, you're out of luck.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

thanks Vos, good to see you still kicking around these parts.

I made sure to mention that because I remember that being the limiting factor before - maybe some day.

edit: if i dumped the hr21 for a c31 genie client, do I still have the same limitation?

Even more so because the C31 needs the DECA band.

A "band-Aid" would be to block the DECA from the HR34, since it can't be disabled, and go ethernet for networking.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

If you go all ethernet, yeah you can do that, but aren't you just adding a cable to get rid of a cable?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

spam firewall