Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Protection Plan Question

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bikemanAMD

bikemanAMD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

Hi All,

My Quesiton is currently we're on Protection Plan Premier, is it possible to downgrade to the $5.99 Plan? without any penalty or anything with the price increase coming, so have to save Money on things

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,504 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

How long have you had it? The terms don't mention any exceptions for what you are wanting to do, so if that's the case, the fee would be $10, if you've had it less than a year. Even paying at, you'd make it back the first month that doesn't have the charge.

#3 OFFLINE   bikemanAMD

bikemanAMD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

Say about 4 months on this protection plan, originally had the $5.99 plan, then we upgraded to this protection plan, but I realize we may not need it protecting now our TV's, Computers, and other items.

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,504 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Even if I did have to pay the $10, I'd still do it.

#5 OFFLINE   bikemanAMD

bikemanAMD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

Yeah Same here, still gonna do it, and save some money, versus paying $19.99 a month for just using only Directv protection part at times...

#6 OFFLINE   yall2

yall2

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:04 AM

FWIW, I just had lightening take out my 50" Samsung TV. My house insurance paid for a brand new one.

#7 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

FWIW, I just had lightening take out my 50" Samsung TV. My house insurance paid for a brand new one.

Most home insurance policies have large deductibles, unless you pay an arm and a leg for it.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

Of course, many people do have deductibles on their home owners's insurance. While I don't have the Premier plan, it would take a good long while before my monthly payments added up to my deductible.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#9 OFFLINE   yall2

yall2

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:58 AM

Most home insurance policies have large deductibles, unless you pay an arm and a leg for it.

I had $200 deductable, but my TV is $2400.
I have the basic DirecTV Protection plan to cover the small costs of that equipment, but the big stuff is covered under home owners.

#10 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

And some of us can't afford homeowner's insurance.

#11 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

I had $200 deductable, but my TV is $2400.
I have the basic DirecTV Protection plan to cover the small costs of that equipment, but the big stuff is covered under home owners.

And some of us have lot higher deductibles...

- Merg

#12 OFFLINE   yall2

yall2

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

- Merg

Ok, was just trying to be helpful.

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

- Merg

The most common deductible seems to be $500.

The drunk that lives next door has an interesting way of using his homeowner's insurance. He just lets things go until they're so bad they have to be fixed. A few years ago, the drain pipe from the kitchen sink began leaking and he just let it go and ended up with a massive repair job that made his deductible seem small by comparison. He said that his wife had remarked on how much better the drain was "all of a sudden". That's because the water was draining behind his walls. After a while, they finally began to notice wet sheet rock and water leaking thru the walls and running down his outside walls (the kitchen is on the second floor of a split level house).

Amazing how some people live.

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

Ok, was just trying to be helpful.

Not being argumentative... Just pointing a difference...

- Merg

#15 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,409 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

It comes down to weighing how often you get hit by lightning versus the $239.88 a year you pay whether you get hit or not.

Of course the PPP covers more than lightning strikes, but that's something each much evaluate for themselves.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,409 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

And some of us can't afford homeowner's insurance.

Can those same people afford to insure just their electronics?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#17 OFFLINE   Singe0255

Singe0255

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Some interesting info about the Premier Protection Plan:

Customers who subscribe to this service have access to a special tech support department just for Protection Plan Premier.

Subscribers are automatically routed to this department by the automated system, bypassing many of the common transfers associated with customer service.

This department is staffed 100% by agents in the US who are specially trained on nearly all common consumer electronics devices (computers, home theater, mobile devices, television, etc.).

They are also trained in nearly every aspect of D* customer administration (upgrades, billing, tech support, network functions, etc.).

Onsite service for non-D* products is contracted to local businesses who specialize in such services. This coverage helps stimulate local economies where the cost of these types of services is prohibitive to the average customer.

Some might find these benefits nearly worth the price of admission, but especially so considering the coverage that this service provides.
All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect the views of DIRECTV, National Electronics Warranty, or any other entity that I share affiliation with.

#18 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

P/P Premier has replaced two computer screens for what I thought were insignificant issues with dead lines of pixels and replaced my kid's $140 gaming mouse. It has been well worth the investment for us.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#19 OFFLINE   caseyf5

caseyf5

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts
  • LocationBethpage, NY 11714

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

P/P Premier has replaced two computer screens for what I thought were insignificant issues with dead lines of pixels and replaced my kid's $140 gaming mouse. It has been well worth the investment for us.

Hello Brubear,

People who have the PP Premier with the worst luck and or very expensive electronic equipment are the greatest beneficiaries of the plan. I am glad you had the plan. It is nice to have a protection plan and not need it rather than not have it and need it. :hurah:
My setup: 1 HR34/700 DVR no external HD, 1 HR24/500 DVR using WD 2TB Green HD and Antec MX-1 enclosure (used for CE) and 3 H24/700 receivers, 1 SL5 Dish (4 cable), 1 SWM16 Multiswitch, 1 Wired CCK. 1 Whole Home with DECA, 1 Sharp LC-37GP1U TV, 1 Sony Home Theater System HT-CT550W (Soundbar), 1 Impact 6x2 Component Video Matrix (Switcher) and 2 Sewell 1x2 HDMI Splitters with Ethernet, 3D Support and 4Kx2K Resolution with multiple hdmi cables with Ethernet.

#20 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,907 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

It comes down to weighing how often you get hit by lightning versus the $239.88 a year you pay whether you get hit or not.

Of course the PPP covers more than lightning strikes, but that's something each much evaluate for themselves.

When we moved into our new home in 2010 lightning struck the ground a quarter of a mile from the house. Damage was widespread for both homeowners and the power company. That experience plus having high end equipment makes the PPP worth the price.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...