Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question about HR24 feeding TV two rooms away.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:16 AM

I have an HR34 in my living room, with my 50" TV, which is mainly what we watch.

I have an HR24 in the bedroom, and the coax coming out gets split, one goes to an old CRT TV(go ahead and laugh) in the bedroom, the other goes under the house, and comes up in the kitchen, and feeds a small CRT TV(you're probably still laughing.....continue) via an RF modulator, on the kitchen counter. We set it up before HDTV was a big thing, and it used to be fed by an SD receiver, and we used a remoter extender that didn't work so well, and I got a good deal on an HR24, so it's being used, though overkill.

All that being said, it has served it's purpose, and we hardly ever watch tv in the bedroom. The TV in the kitchen is really a joke, when you see how cheap small HDTV's are nowadays, so hopefully we'll be swapping it before long.

Here's what I see as a small issue......the kitchen TV is fed by coax cable now, which can be put through a very small hole to get into the kitchen, but that sure won't be the way to go with a TV upgrade....it will need to be HDMI or Component, either of which would require a much bigger hole, and having that come though a nice small hole in the kitchen counter with a grommet, like I have now, won't be even close to an option.

Obviously, it would be easier to make it work with HDMI than Component, so I'm thinking of maybe running HDMI to the kitchen TV, and if we replace the bedroom CRT TV too, run component to that.

So, does anyone know any tricks, or something that I'm completely missing, to make this easily work? And, can I run HDMI about 30-35 feet, give or take, with no problems?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I'm just realizing that I might be able to accomplish what I want with a couple C31's and my HR34, but each C31 would be using up a tuner on the HR34, correct? My wife also records some different shows on the kitchen setup, that she likes, and I'm sure she might have a few that might conflict, and I'm assuming that using a C31, you can only record one show at a time, since it's using one of the HR34's tuners?

Edited by Soulweeper, 02 January 2013 - 01:30 AM.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hjones4841

hjones4841

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:02 AM

The Redmere HDMI cables from Monoprice work great for long runs:

http://www.monoprice...keyword=redmere

Although the cable is relatively small you will still have to have a large hole for the HDMI connector to go thru.

As for remote control, as you probably know the IR range extenders rarely work well. However, a RF remote like the Harmony 900 should do the job. Overkill for what you want to do, but a nice reliable solution as long as the distance from the 900 to its RF receiver is less than 50 feet or so and does not go thru several walls.

Of course, the extra receiver or slave unit is the best solution. After years of trying to whole-house DirecTV and DVD changers, I ended up with a DVR in each room where I watch TV as well as media streamers for stored off programs on a NAS. Far more reliable yet far more expensive.

#3 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,246 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

This might be an option.

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,262 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

I have an HR34 in my living room, with my 50" TV, which is mainly what we watch.

I have an HR24 in the bedroom, and the coax coming out gets split, one goes to an old CRT TV(go ahead and laugh) in the bedroom, the other goes under the house, and comes up in the kitchen, and feeds a small CRT TV(you're probably still laughing.....continue) via an RF modulator, on the kitchen counter. We set it up before HDTV was a big thing, and it used to be fed by an SD receiver, and we used a remoter extender that didn't work so well, and I got a good deal on an HR24, so it's being used, though overkill.

All that being said, it has served it's purpose, and we hardly ever watch tv in the bedroom. The TV in the kitchen is really a joke, when you see how cheap small HDTV's are nowadays, so hopefully we'll be swapping it before long.

Here's what I see as a small issue......the kitchen TV is fed by coax cable now, which can be put through a very small hole to get into the kitchen, but that sure won't be the way to go with a TV upgrade....it will need to be HDMI or Component, either of which would require a much bigger hole, and having that come though a nice small hole in the kitchen counter with a grommet, like I have now, won't be even close to an option.

Obviously, it would be easier to make it work with HDMI than Component, so I'm thinking of maybe running HDMI to the kitchen TV, and if we replace the bedroom CRT TV too, run component to that.

So, does anyone know any tricks, or something that I'm completely missing, to make this easily work? And, can I run HDMI about 30-35 feet, give or take, with no problems?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I'm just realizing that I might be able to accomplish what I want with a couple C31's and my HR34, but each C31 would be using up a tuner on the HR34, correct? My wife also records some different shows on the kitchen setup, that she likes, and I'm sure she might have a few that might conflict, and I'm assuming that using a C31, you can only record one show at a time, since it's using one of the HR34's tuners?

You can run an HDMI cable if you want for this purpose. Just be aware that if you decide to use the HDMI and component at the same time that you can run into problems with HDCP. If you are watching a show in the bedroom that is HDCP flagged and the TV in the kitchen is off, you will get a message on the screen that you need to use component cables (even though you already are). This is due to the fact that the receiver detects the HDMI cable and the HDMI handshake does not complete since the kitchen TV is off.

With regards to a remote, you can probably get away with switching to RF as suggested in the previous post, however, you could just use the DirecTV RF remote.

As for the C31, that would probably be your best solution. Yes, it does use up a tuner from the HR34 when it is on, however, it really just acts like a front-end to the HR34. You have full access and control to all aspects of the HR34, such as scheduling and management of series. So, your wife could schedule whatever she normally schedules (up to 5 things at once).

The only time you would have a conflict would be if she was watching something in the kitchen, recording 4 other shows, and you turned on the HR34. When you turn on the HR34, it would tune to one of the channels being recorded (or the one that your wife is watching). If you attempted to change channels, you would get notification of the conflict.

With regard to installation, you would still use the coax that goes from the bedroom to the kitchen. You would just change where the coax is split as you wouldn't split it coming off the HR24, but rather coming out of the wall so that one coax goes to the HR24 and the other to the kitchen.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

This might be an option.

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

That would be pretty slick, if it works well. The HR24 could just stay put, and we use a Directv RF remote on it now, so it would be the easiest solution.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#6 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

You can run an HDMI cable if you want for this purpose. Just be aware that if you decide to use the HDMI and component at the same time that you can run into problems with HDCP. If you are watching a show in the bedroom that is HDCP flagged and the TV in the kitchen is off, you will get a message on the screen that you need to use component cables (even though you already are). This is due to the fact that the receiver detects the HDMI cable and the HDMI handshake does not complete since the kitchen TV is off.

That's good to know, and I definitely wasn't aware of that. We almost never watch the bedroom tv, so it wouldn't be a huge issue, but if we upgrade both bedroom and kitchen, we may want to watch it a little more. Too bad there is no way to run two HDMI cables.

With regards to a remote, you can probably get away with switching to RF as suggested in the previous post, however, you could just use the DirecTV RF remote.

We use a Directv RF remote now, and it works perfect. :)

As for the C31, that would probably be your best solution. Yes, it does use up a tuner from the HR34 when it is on, however, it really just acts like a front-end to the HR34. You have full access and control to all aspects of the HR34, such as scheduling and management of series. So, your wife could schedule whatever she normally schedules (up to 5 things at once).

The only time you would have a conflict would be if she was watching something in the kitchen, recording 4 other shows, and you turned on the HR34. When you turn on the HR34, it would tune to one of the channels being recorded (or the one that your wife is watching). If you attempted to change channels, you would get notification of the conflict.

So....if I'm following this correctly, a C31 hooked up to the kitchen tv would allow essentially full control of the HR34 in the living room, as if it was in the kitchen, correct? Minus the one less tuner, of course....and that isn't a big deal. The downside of that would that leaves the bedroom tv controlled by the HR24 in the bedroom, and now I'm paying an extra fee for a third receiver(C31)

With regard to installation, you would still use the coax that goes from the bedroom to the kitchen. You would just change where the coax is split as you wouldn't split it coming off the HR24, but rather coming out of the wall so that one coax goes to the HR24 and the other to the kitchen.

- Merg

Since I just got this HR34, and haven't been following this closely, mainly because I didn't previously own one, my understanding, in the case of installation is.......I currently have the coax coming off the LNB to a two way splitter, and one coax run obviously going to the HR34, the other going to the HR24 in the bedroom. If I wanted to add a C31 in the kitchen, I'd need to swap out my two way splitter for a three or four way splitter, and have another coax run simply going to the C31 from said splitter, yes?

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#7 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,936 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

So....if I'm following this correctly, a C31 hooked up to the kitchen tv would allow essentially full control of the HR34 in the living room, as if it was in the kitchen, correct?

Correct

The downside of that would that leaves the bedroom tv controlled by the HR24 in the bedroom, and now I'm paying an extra fee for a third receiver(C31)

I don't see where the HR24 in the bedroom is a downside. Yes, you would be paying for one more tv location if you add a C31 or a receiver for the kitchen.

If I wanted to add a C31 in the kitchen, I'd need to swap out my two way splitter for a three or four way splitter, and have another coax run simply going to the C31 from said splitter, yes?

Yes, or put a 2-way splitter in the living room and split that coax sending one to the HR34 and the other to the kitchen. I assume that is how the extra coax is already routed.

#8 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

I don't see where the HR24 in the bedroom is a downside. Yes, you would be paying for one more tv location if you add a C31 or a receiver for the kitchen.

Well....not a downside, but another expense that would be wasteful, even though minimal. We watch our spending pretty closely these days, like a lot of people, otherwise I wouldn't care at all.

Yes, or put a 2-way splitter in the living room and split that coax sending one to the HR34 and the other to the kitchen. I assume that is how the extra coax is already routed.

Right now I have one coax coming off the lnb(obviously), to a 2 way splitter, with one coax going to the power inserter/bedroom HR24, the other going to the HR34 in the living room.

The bedroom tv and kitchen tv are both so oldschool that they have only coax in, so I split the coax coming out of the HR24 in the bedroom, and one goes to the crt tv in the bedroom, the other goes back under the house to the crt kitchen tv, via an RF modulator........and it's ok to laugh. My wife is actually fine with it, but as you know, small HDTV's are cheap now, so why feed those old tv's with an HR24, or 34 for that matter.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#9 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,262 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

Well....not a downside, but another expense that would be wasteful, even though minimal. We watch our spending pretty closely these days, like a lot of people, otherwise I wouldn't care at all.

Right now I have one coax coming off the lnb(obviously), to a 2 way splitter, with one coax going to the power inserter/bedroom HR24, the other going to the HR34 in the living room.

The bedroom tv and kitchen tv are both so oldschool that they have only coax in, so I split the coax coming out of the HR24 in the bedroom, and one goes to the crt tv in the bedroom, the other goes back under the house to the crt kitchen tv, via an RF modulator........and it's ok to laugh. My wife is actually fine with it, but as you know, small HDTV's are cheap now, so why feed those old tv's with an HR24, or 34 for that matter.

So in that case, you would just put a 2-way splitter in the bedroom. The coax to the bedroom would connect to the 2-way. One output goes to the HR24 and the other connects to the coax that goes to the kitchen for the C31.

- Merg

#10 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

So in that case, you would just put a 2-way splitter in the bedroom. The coax to the bedroom would connect to the 2-way. One output goes to the HR24 and the other connects to the coax that goes to the kitchen for the C31.

- Merg

So, if I'm following this correctly....the coax that now comes into the bedroom from one output of the two way that is outside, after going through the power inserter, would then get split again, one output feeding the HR24 right in that room, and the other coax that is currently going to the kitchen tv, would simply come off the other output of the second two way splitter, and feed a C31, which could then control the living room HR34, and the HR24 in the bedroom would still be it's own animal. So in the end, the living room and kitchen would be controlled by the HR34, and the HR24 would be on it's own, with it's own IR remote in the bedroom, the C31 having it's own IR remote in the kitchen, and the living room HR34 obviously also having it's own IR remote.

Did I get that right? :)

Or, to save the expense of getting a C31, and having the extra expense for an additional receiver, I'd have to use one of the methods I mentioned, and other people mentioned....such as a very long HDMI cable, or that HDMI to Cat5 converter, and just use the HR24 for kitchen and bedroom.

Edited by Soulweeper, 14 January 2013 - 09:13 AM.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#11 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,262 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

You got it.

Only thing to consider if using the HDMI option of having the HR24 feed the bedroom and kitchen via HDMI is that you will want a powered HDMI splitter. This will prevent you from running into HDCP issues. There's one from Monoprice that many here use with success. Maybe one of them will pipe up with a link to it.

- Merg

#12 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

I haven't had any issues with this one > http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top

I believe the one Merg is referring to is this one > http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2
Vin

#13 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,118 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

I use a powered HDMI splitter from Monoprice and about a 40 foot cable. I got two HDMI face plates for each end of the run, so that I wouldn't have any holes in the wall, and a short cable from the splitter to the wall plate and another one from the other plate to the second TV. The cable is run through the attic. Works just fine. The only problem is that the DirecTV remote in RF mode doesn't carry very well through two walls and sometimes doesn't work on the HR22.

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#14 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

Thank you Vin, and Groundhog45 as well. And everyone else that has offered input.

The long HDMI cables are pretty expensive, and after reading quite a few reviews on the HDMI extenders that use Cat5, it seems that would be the way to go. Quite a few people use those for the exact same purpose I would. Makes for a much smaller hole, especially since the coax feeding the kitchen tv is coming up from under the house, and through a cabinet and through the kitchen counter with a very small grommet.

That being said, I'd still like to use HDMI on both the bedroom tv and the kitchen tv, so the HDMI extender would get me to the kitchen via Cat5, and the bedroom would just need the standard HDMI cable, so in this case, I'd simply go HDMI from the receiver to the powered splitter, then HDMI to the bedroom receiver, and HDMI(via HDMI extender/Cat5) to the kitchen, correct?

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#15 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,262 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

Thank you Vin, and Groundhog45 as well. And everyone else that has offered input.

The long HDMI cables are pretty expensive, and after reading quite a few reviews on the HDMI extenders that use Cat5, it seems that would be the way to go. Quite a few people use those for the exact same purpose I would. Makes for a much smaller hole, especially since the coax feeding the kitchen tv is coming up from under the house, and through a cabinet and through the kitchen counter with a very small grommet.

That being said, I'd still like to use HDMI on both the bedroom tv and the kitchen tv, so the HDMI extender would get me to the kitchen via Cat5, and the bedroom would just need the standard HDMI cable, so in this case, I'd simply go HDMI from the receiver to the powered splitter, then HDMI to the bedroom receiver, and HDMI(via HDMI extender/Cat5) to the kitchen, correct?

That should work. Just remember that to control the kitchen TV, you will need to have 2 RF remotes (one for in the bedroom and one for in the kitchen).

- Merg

- Merg

#16 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

That should work. Just remember that to control the kitchen TV, you will need to have 2 RF remotes (one for in the bedroom and one for in the kitchen).

- Merg

- Merg

Well, we rarely watch tv in the bedroom, so we could simply take the one remote into the bedroom, but I do have several extra remotes....can you "marry" two different remotes to one receiver?

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#17 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,262 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

Yes. You can have 2 remotes for one receiver.

- Merg

#18 ONLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,127 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

Well, we rarely watch tv in the bedroom, so we could simply take the one remote into the bedroom, but I do have several extra remotes....can you "marry" two different remotes to one receiver?

You can have as many remotes as you want on one receiver, the remote uses the last 6 numbers of the receiver ID to identify which receiver it is controlling.
When you witch the receiver over to RF mode it will walk you through the process then just repeat the steps (without using the receiver) on the second remote.

The steps are:
Hold mute and select until the light flashes at the top
enter 961 and press channel up
enter the last 6 of the RID and press select
you are done
My Setup

#19 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

These are expensive, and given that you can get HDMI cables with fairly small connectors today, they might not be needed, but I've used them before when we had to do a difficult, longer run in conduit, and they work great.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

Protected By... spam firewall...And...