Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Mpg guide receivers

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wcalifas254

wcalifas254

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:05 AM

Well I still have a RCA DRD420 receiver in use with MPG guide and still haven't gotten the call to replace it. I've heard stories that they're getting ready to make the MPG receivers obsolete. So when's the actual date for that? Anyone know?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 474 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:32 AM

I thought it was 1/1 and im hopefull they have reconsidered....

I dont wanna lose my program guide.. (Although now most of the channels are not using MPG anymore anyway so i dont see that guide data.. (I dont wanna lose what i have had left the last year or so and i dont wanna have to get rid of my RCA reciever (Best reciever they ever allowed to be made for directv)))

Edited by Dude111, 03 January 2013 - 01:59 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   wcalifas254

wcalifas254

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

I thought it was 1/1 and im hopefull they have reconsidered....

I dont wanna lose my program guide.. (Although now most of the channels are not using MPG anymore anyway so i dont see that guide data.. (I dont wanna lose what i have had left the last year or so and i dont wanna have to give my my RCA reciever (Best reciever they ever allowed to be made for directv)))

What model of RCA receiver are you using?

#4 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

Well I still have a RCA DRD420 receiver in use with MPG guide and still haven't gotten the call to replace it. I've heard stories that they're getting ready to make the MPG receivers obsolete. So when's the actual date for that? Anyone know?

It's starting right now in some DMAs, but depending on where you live it may be a few months before you are contacted.

The dates are still in flux for the rest of the country.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

(I dont wanna lose what i have had left the last year or so and i dont wanna have to give my my RCA reciever (Best reciever they ever allowed to be made for directv)))

LOL because it didnt do anything. Tht is like saying a bicycle is better than a car because the bike never breaks down. :D:D:D
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#6 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

It's starting right now in some DMAs, but depending on where you live it may be a few months before you are contacted.

The dates are still in flux for the rest of the country.

now does that box they swapping out owned? rented with no 1-2 year lock in?

just asking.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#7 OFFLINE   wcalifas254

wcalifas254

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

So I hear that these receivers with mpg will not work anymore. Will it be the guide that won't show anything or will the receivers not get a signal anymore?

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

It will get SAME signal just fine; it's FW [SW] what will not discover System Info/EPG (that's what MPG means) eg no channel list, no sats, no tpns, no EPG.
Like your brain will be cleared of all basic instincts. :D

#9 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

now does that box they swapping out owned? rented with no 1-2 year lock in?

just asking.

No commitment. It is a leased receiver, but the net net is no additional charge for the customer and no commitment on the service. It's just a very outdated guide that consumes bandwidth, resources, and costly to maintain for what amounts to not very many receivers out there that are alive in the field utilizing it.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#10 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,891 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

It will get SAME signal just fine; it's FW [SW] what will not discover System Info/EPG (that's what MPG means) eg no channel list, no sats, no tpns, no EPG.
Like your brain will be cleared of all basic instincts. :D

Just curious, but does the old MPG stream packets still use PID 9?

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

And 0x5XX PIDs and a few from beginning ... we will see when the stream will be ceased ... I'm more curious about 0002 ;)

#12 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

No commitment. It is a leased receiver, but the net net is no additional charge for the customer and no commitment on the service. It's just a very outdated guide that consumes bandwidth, resources, and costly to maintain for what amounts to not very many receivers out there that are alive in the field utilizing it.

Will people get new HD boxes and dish's with that swap out?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#13 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

Will people get new HD boxes and dish's with that swap out?

If they have SD now, they wont be given HD to replace it if thats what you're asking. They still have current technology sd stuff.

#14 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 474 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:01 AM

What model of RCA receiver are you using?

I have THE SAME ONE YOU HAVE :) (DRD420)

#15 OFFLINE   wcalifas254

wcalifas254

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:54 AM

I have THE SAME ONE YOU HAVE :) (DRD420)

Well I haven't received a call yet to replace that 420 have you?

#16 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

California is further down the list, you will get a communication later in the year.
DIRECTV employee

#17 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

I think I have 2 that are older (see sig). Well, the Sony is.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#18 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 474 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

They have called several times but i havent answered the phone for fear they would try and get my RCA away from me....... I DONT WANT ONE OF THIER NEWER CRAP IRDs!! (1 or 2 times i have talked to them and they tried to get my BOX off my acct and i explained that I am not interested in HD,etc....... I like my basic IRD and the speed is excellent and i dont wanna lose that) -- I dont care if i dont see the channel data really (I dont see 1/2 of them now anyway!),i have been a customer for about 14 years and i love DTV......... I dont want that to change!

Why dont they just start charging a little bit MORE MONEY to provide the MPG data to older boxs??

#19 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 794 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

They have called several times but i havent answered the phone for fear they would try and get my RCA away from me....... I DONT WANT ONE OF THIER NEWER CRAP IRDs!! (1 or 2 times i have talked to them and they tried to get my BOX off my acct and i explained that I am not interested in HD,etc....... I like my basic IRD and the speed is excellent and i dont wanna lose that) -- I dont care if i dont see the channel data really (I dont see 1/2 of them now anyway!),i have been a customer for about 14 years and i love DTV......... I dont want that to change!

Why dont they just start charging a little bit MORE MONEY to provide the MPG data to older boxs??

The SD bandwidth it will free up is significantly more valuable than the few dollars they could make by asking people to pay extra for obsolete receivers (which is probably no people. Maybe two or three customers total?)

If you live in an MPEG-2 market you'll get a D12 and new remote for the swap.
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#20 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

Ok, it will cost you $300,00 per year. Can you handle that?:lol:

Just a number I through out I have no idea what it cost.

spam firewall