Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Mpg guide receivers

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

IMHO, if Directv is swapping boxes why not replace them with MPEG4-compatible hardware? Converting all channels to MPEG4 will free up much more bandwidth than eliminating the mpg guide.

While I agree that would be a step in the right direction it doesn't really free up any serious bandwidth until the last MPEG2 box goes dark.

Until then they have to continue to use all of that MPEG2 bandwidth...at least for conus. Whether it is being used by 20 million subscribers or 2 million. It stays on until it's off. I suppose they could free up some of the LIL bandwidth if they converted entire markets to MPEG4 but then it becomes a question of are they going to re-purpose that bandwidth or discontinue it? Can it even be re-purposed for anything other than MPEG2 with those transponders or would re-purposing amount to putting new MPEG4/RBS birds into the 101 and 110 slots? And what about Latin America? Does that figure in?

My interpretation was that by eliminating the mpg guide data they are actually freeing up MPEG2 bandwidth to better support their continuing MPEG2 subscriber base (not to mention just ditching obsolete technology and not having to maintain it)...but I could be wrong. If so that indicates the continued existence of MPEG2 for at least a while longer.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

While I agree that would be a step in the right direction it doesn't really free up any serious bandwidth until the last MPEG2 box goes dark.

Until then they have to continue to use all of that MPEG2 bandwidth...at least for conus. Whether it is being used by 20 million subscribers or 2 million. It stays on until it's off. I suppose they could free up some of the LIL bandwidth if they converted entire markets to MPEG4 but then it becomes a question of are they going to re-purpose that bandwidth or discontinue it? Can it even be re-purposed for anything other than MPEG2 with those transponders or would re-purposing amount to putting new MPEG4/RBS birds into the 101 and 110 slots? And what about Latin America? Does that figure in?
-> Yes, it is; one of tp at 119W already converted to A3 format and testing - not sure why, because a few tpns at G3C [DLA/GLA] using the format for HD programming pretty long time.

My interpretation was that by eliminating the mpg guide data they are actually freeing up MPEG2 bandwidth to better support their continuing MPEG2 subscriber base (not to mention just ditching obsolete technology and not having to maintain it)...but I could be wrong.
-> MPG has no relation to video compressions [MPEG-2 or MPEG-4]
If so that indicates the continued existence of MPEG2 for at least a while longer.

see in bold above

#28 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

So will someone please tell me what MPG actually stands for???
(I assume "PG" is "program guide", no???) I know APG means Advanced Program Guide & am very familiar with those receivers...

#29 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

see in bold above

Which satellites are currently devoting bandwidth to carrying mpg guide data? Where is there going to be bandwidth freed up by discontinuing it?

I'm pretty sure it isn't the MPEG4 satellites.
--Frank Zappa

#30 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Notes:

you messing up technology: video compression vs downlink freqs [Ka vs Ku], modulation: DVB-S2 vs DSS;
satellites doesn't adhere to video compression, as a tube to a liquid inside;
please don't use video compression levels [MPEG-2/-4] when we discuss MPG vs APG;
95W Ku GLA sat transmitting HD [MPEG-4/H.264 compressed video], plus DTV 119W tp24 is testing for same purpose.

Answer:
MPG taking a bandwidth less then 1 Mbps on each of many Ku tpns.

Edited by P Smith, 06 January 2013 - 05:17 PM.
wrong tp#

#31 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,336 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

My interpretation was that by eliminating the mpg guide data they are actually freeing up MPEG2 bandwidth to better support their continuing MPEG2 subscriber base (not to mention just ditching obsolete technology and not having to maintain it)...but I could be wrong. If so that indicates the continued existence of MPEG2 for at least a while longer.

getting rid of the old guide frees up stuff on the backend.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#32 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

if you will do real overview the MPG cease, then it would come to saving bucks for DTV itself - by eliminate equipment and operator-hours
gain scattered bandwidth, the miserable 1 Mbps, on 10-12 tpns doesn't looks as real goal

#33 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

Addition by subtraction.
--Frank Zappa

#34 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Someone could calculate total MPG bandwidth for 101W tp27 from a sample below.

#35 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,733 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

Notes:

you messing up technology: video compression vs downlink freqs [Ka vs Ku], modulation: DVB-S2 vs DSS;
satellites doesn't adhere to video compression, as a tube to a liquid inside;
please don't use video compression levels [MPEG-2/-4] when we discuss MPG vs APG;
95W Ku GLA sat transmitting HD [MPEG-4/H.264 compressed video], plus DTV 119W tp25 is testing for same purpose. ...

Transponder 24 @ 119w is carrying two live MPEG-4 HD channels. Spanish MEGA-HD 405 and TFTw-HD 408.

Not sure what other test channels may be there as well.

Tp.25 is a spotbeam tp.

... Answer:
MPG taking a bandwidth less then 1 Mbps on each of many Ka tpns.

You mean "Ku tpns.?" :)

Edited by HoTat2, 06 January 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#36 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,733 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

So will someone please tell me what MPG actually stands for???
(I assume "PG" is "program guide", no???) I know APG means Advanced Program Guide & am very familiar with those receivers...

In case no one has answered you by PM or some other.

MPG - Master Program Guide.

#37 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

You mean "Ku tpns.?" :)

thanks, corrected

No one took the burden to calculate all MPG chunks from tp27 ? Tsk, tsk, tsk ...

#38 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,733 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

thanks, corrected

No one took the burden to calculate all MPG chunks from tp27 ? Tsk, tsk, tsk ...

I'll add them (after I finish with a late breakfast here :D ), but are those x05XX PIDs the only MPG associated packets transmitted on Ku tp. 27?

No other MPG packets on like PID x0009 on that tp. for instance?

#39 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

You are right, I'll add these low-numbers PIDs shortly to the picture...

Here is the missing part.
Some notes:
- null packets at 0000
- 0001, 0009, 00b4, 00be are belong to MPG
- 0002, 0003, 0004, 00f9 are sort of management: FW announcements and other things
- 03f2 - DTV TiVo slices.

Edited by P Smith, 06 January 2013 - 08:43 PM.

#40 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

I'll add them (after I finish with a late breakfast here :D ), but are those x05XX PIDs the only MPG associated packets transmitted on Ku tp. 27?

No other MPG packets on like PID x0009 on that tp. for instance?

Here we come to dinner ... :)

#41 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,733 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Here we come to dinner ... :)

Actually now past yesterday's dinner, today's breakfast and lunch now and coming up on tonight's dinner. :D

But anyhow after repeatedly counting all the MPG streams comprising PIDs x05XX, x0001, x0009, x00b4, x00be, and the questionable x00f9 packets, the total aggregate stream comes to 1295.14 kbps.

Or ~1.3 mbps.

As was said, virtually nothing in the way of saving transponder bandwidth by turning off the old MPG data related streams, but perhaps a great saving on equipment resources at the broadcast center(s) by its eventual elimination.

#42 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

Someone (bean-counters ?) added the 1.3 Mbps from a all transponders what carry MPG PIDs and got a whooping amount almost equal to one tpn.
My wonder how it could be utilized after all ?

#43 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,733 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

Someone (bean-counters ?) added the 1.3 Mbps from a all transponders what carry MPG PIDs and got a whooping amount almost equal to one tpn.
My wonder how it could be utilized after all ?

See the PM I sent you.

#44 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

I got it.

Now time to find someone who could watch the transition and will measure the real gain in bandwidth. ;)

#45 OFFLINE   wcalifas254

wcalifas254

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

Yes and I'm awaiting the transition so I can finally upgrade my 10 year old receiver. It's funny cause nowadays Directv receivers don't last as long as the older receivers.

#46 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,738 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:44 AM

They have called several times but i havent answered the phone for fear they would try and get my RCA away from me....... I DONT WANT ONE OF THIER NEWER CRAP IRDs!! (1 or 2 times i have talked to them and they tried to get my BOX off my acct and i explained that I am not interested in HD,etc....... I like my basic IRD and the speed is excellent and i dont wanna lose that) -- I dont care if i dont see the channel data really (I dont see 1/2 of them now anyway!),i have been a customer for about 14 years and i love DTV......... I dont want that to change!

Why dont they just start charging a little bit MORE MONEY to provide the MPG data to older boxs??

DO you have an hd tv? If so, get a h25. It will be better than what you have now, period. Its lightning fast, and easy to use.

#47 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,738 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:46 AM

Yes and I'm awaiting the transition so I can finally upgrade my 10 year old receiver. It's funny cause nowadays Directv receivers don't last as long as the older receivers.

I don't know, i have origanl hr20 dvrs that i got the week they where launched and they still work fine for me.

#48 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

I don't know, i have origanl hr20 dvrs that i got the week they where launched and they still work fine for me.

Same here, I've got an HR20 from OCt 06, very soon after release.

#49 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

I got my notice from DirecTV that march 31st will be the cutoff and they ask me to call them to setup replacement...

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#50 OFFLINE   wcalifas254

wcalifas254

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

I got my notice from DirecTV that march 31st will be the cutoff and they ask me to call them to setup replacement...

The countdown begins, out with old in with the new. Time to start retiring my old receiver.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...