Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Mpg guide receivers

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,032 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Here we come to dinner ... :)

Actually now past yesterday's dinner, today's breakfast and lunch now and coming up on tonight's dinner. :D

But anyhow after repeatedly counting all the MPG streams comprising PIDs x05XX, x0001, x0009, x00b4, x00be, and the questionable x00f9 packets, the total aggregate stream comes to 1295.14 kbps.

Or ~1.3 mbps.

As was said, virtually nothing in the way of saving transponder bandwidth by turning off the old MPG data related streams, but perhaps a great saving on equipment resources at the broadcast center(s) by its eventual elimination.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,852 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

Someone (bean-counters ?) added the 1.3 Mbps from a all transponders what carry MPG PIDs and got a whooping amount almost equal to one tpn.
My wonder how it could be utilized after all ?

#43 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,032 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

Someone (bean-counters ?) added the 1.3 Mbps from a all transponders what carry MPG PIDs and got a whooping amount almost equal to one tpn.
My wonder how it could be utilized after all ?

See the PM I sent you.

#44 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,852 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

I got it.

Now time to find someone who could watch the transition and will measure the real gain in bandwidth. ;)

#45 OFFLINE   wcalifas254

wcalifas254

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

Yes and I'm awaiting the transition so I can finally upgrade my 10 year old receiver. It's funny cause nowadays Directv receivers don't last as long as the older receivers.

#46 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:44 AM

They have called several times but i havent answered the phone for fear they would try and get my RCA away from me....... I DONT WANT ONE OF THIER NEWER CRAP IRDs!! (1 or 2 times i have talked to them and they tried to get my BOX off my acct and i explained that I am not interested in HD,etc....... I like my basic IRD and the speed is excellent and i dont wanna lose that) -- I dont care if i dont see the channel data really (I dont see 1/2 of them now anyway!),i have been a customer for about 14 years and i love DTV......... I dont want that to change!

Why dont they just start charging a little bit MORE MONEY to provide the MPG data to older boxs??

DO you have an hd tv? If so, get a h25. It will be better than what you have now, period. Its lightning fast, and easy to use.

#47 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:46 AM

Yes and I'm awaiting the transition so I can finally upgrade my 10 year old receiver. It's funny cause nowadays Directv receivers don't last as long as the older receivers.

I don't know, i have origanl hr20 dvrs that i got the week they where launched and they still work fine for me.

#48 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

I don't know, i have origanl hr20 dvrs that i got the week they where launched and they still work fine for me.

Same here, I've got an HR20 from OCt 06, very soon after release.

#49 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

I got my notice from DirecTV that march 31st will be the cutoff and they ask me to call them to setup replacement...

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#50 OFFLINE   wcalifas254

wcalifas254

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

I got my notice from DirecTV that march 31st will be the cutoff and they ask me to call them to setup replacement...

The countdown begins, out with old in with the new. Time to start retiring my old receiver.

#51 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:15 AM

I think Im going to trade in my plasma for a tv/vcr combo with only a coax input
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#52 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

We'll see. I still have my original Hughes HIRD-E2 active (which they cheerfully collect $6 a month for).

What, exactly do they mean "to setup replacement"?

1. Some moron coming to my house with a junker reconditioned D10 because I'm too stupid to swap an F-connector?

2. A new 2 year commitment.

3. A CHARGE for a replacement box?

4. All of the above.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#53 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

The countdown begins, out with old in with the new. Time to start retiring my old receiver.

Most of California will be later so you have some time.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#54 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

You won't have a commitment or out of pocket charge under this program. You'd have to upgrade to HD or something.

#55 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

We'll see. I still have my original Hughes HIRD-E2 active (which they cheerfully collect $6 a month for).

1. Some moron coming to my house with a junker reconditioned D10 because I'm too stupid to swap an F-connector?

4. All of the above.

9 times out of 10 the replacement receiver(s) will be shipped to the customer and they can unplug the old and plug in the replacement. No 2 year commitment, no commitment at all. We deactivate the old receiver, activate the new one and you're off and running. The only exception that would require a technician is if the customer decided to upgrade to HD and obviously a new dish, etc would have to be put up...in that case it's like any upgrade and a commitment would be required.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#56 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

9 times out of 10 the replacement receiver(s) will be shipped to the customer and they can unplug the old and plug in the replacement. No 2 year commitment, no commitment at all. We deactivate the old receiver, activate the new one and you're off and running. The only exception that would require a technician is if the customer decided to upgrade to HD and obviously a new dish, etc would have to be put up...in that case it's like any upgrade and a commitment would be required.

You could be right. I can't believe they would alienate a customer that's been with them for 12 years and gives them over $100 a month-especially since the change is being instituted by DirecTV.

I use the Hughes strictly for Sonic Tap in my computer room. It is hooked to a 5" B & W TV which displays the song titles!! I like it because it doesn't have a screen saver and when I hear a tune I like I just glance over and there the title is. But I suppose I'll suffer along and press INFO to get the song title if they opt for giving me a FREE replacement box.... I'll also get a bunch of extra Sonic Tap channels that they never bothered to add to the MPG.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#57 OFFLINE   Krazeyman

Krazeyman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

4. All of the above.

No. It would be a D12.
No, there wouldn't be a 2 yr commitment
No, there wouldn't be a charge, unless you upgrade to HD. There might even be a discount in the upgrade.

#58 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 491 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

DO you have an hd tv?

No and I dont want one!!

Standard is fine and always has been... If they try to make me get rid of my RCA box i will cancel,I WILL NOT END UP WITH A P.O.S. RECIEVER AND PAY THESE INSANE PRICES WHEN I HARDILY WATCH IT!! (Like what happend when time warner went to navigator... COMPLETE GARBAGE (I do not watch any cable TV anymore,i wont deal with that slow/disgusting stuff))

#59 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,852 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

SD at DTV is sucks ! Worst in the country !

#60 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

No and I dont want one!!

Standard is fine and always has been... If they try to make me get rid of my RCA box i will cancel,I WILL NOT END UP WITH A P.O.S. RECIEVER AND PAY THESE INSANE PRICES WHEN I HARDILY WATCH IT!! (Like what happend when time warner went to navigator... COMPLETE GARBAGE (I do not watch any cable TV anymore,i wont deal with that slow/disgusting stuff))

So how do you know a box other than the RCA me isn't any good? Have you used a d12 extensively?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...