Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Mpg guide receivers

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

No i guess i havent bud....... But i doubt there are any new boxs AS GOOD AS THE RCA I have!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Krazeyman

Krazeyman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

No and I dont want one!!

Standard is fine and always has been... If they try to make me get rid of my RCA box i will cancel,I WILL NOT END UP WITH A P.O.S. RECIEVER AND PAY THESE INSANE PRICES WHEN I HARDILY WATCH IT!! (Like what happend when time warner went to navigator... COMPLETE GARBAGE (I do not watch any cable TV anymore,i wont deal with that slow/disgusting stuff))

If you never watch it and don't want to pay the insane prices. Why not cancel and just watch what you can from the Internet. Would be allot less headache and no more need for angry caps lock....

#63 OFFLINE   wcalifas254

wcalifas254

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

No and I dont want one!!

Standard is fine and always has been... If they try to make me get rid of my RCA box i will cancel,I WILL NOT END UP WITH A P.O.S. RECIEVER AND PAY THESE INSANE PRICES WHEN I HARDILY WATCH IT!! (Like what happend when time warner went to navigator... COMPLETE GARBAGE (I do not watch any cable TV anymore,i wont deal with that slow/disgusting stuff))

I can understand that older receivers would last longer, but are the newer receivers that bad? I would think they're faster and better. Anyone care to chime in this comparsion?

#64 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

and what "this comparsion" have common with the topic ?

:backtotop:

#65 OFFLINE   wcalifas254

wcalifas254

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

That someone thinks the mpg receiver is better than the newer one.....

#66 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

What?
DTV = Digital Television

#67 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,193 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:17 AM

No i guess i havent bud....... But i doubt there are any new boxs AS GOOD AS THE RCA I have!

Well, as long as they will tune to a chanel and let you watch TV, it will be easily just as good.

#68 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:54 AM

I can understand that older receivers would last longer, but are the newer receivers that bad? I would think they're faster and better. Anyone care to chime in this comparsion?

SD receivers are always faster than HD due to digital handshakes for HDMI, changing resolution, etc....DVR's are slower due to the buffereing, but of course, EVERYTHING else about HD outweighs the speed differential. If all I cared about was the speed of channel changing, I'd still be watching analog cable. Unfortunately, dude111 doesnt appear to see it that way.:confused:

#69 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

I thought it was 1/1 and im hopefully they have reconsidered....

I don't wanna lose my program guide.. (Although now most of the channels are not using MPG anymore anyway so i don't see that guide data.. (I don't wanna lose what i have had left the last year or so and i don't wanna have to get rid of my RCA receiver (Best receiver they ever allowed to be made for DirecTV)))

The day will come that you will switch to HD service and you will kick yourself for not getting rid of that out of date receiver sooner.
I refused to get HD because I did not want to pay the extra cost on my bill for it ( I had SD DTV since 1996 ). I also did not want to buy a new TV. I said that when my TV died completely that I would consider it. About 2 years later my TV died. I went to the store and got a new Samsung 46" TV. There was basically no CRT TVs for sale except for a couple of very small 20" ones. I had been watching a Toshiba 32" Flat screen CRT that I had for 10 years.
I hooked up a set of rabbit ears to the antenna connection to keep from paying HD service and watched my local stuff from them.
The picture was so much better my son that lives with me bought himself a new Mitsubishi 52" TV.
I then called DTV and had them come out and upgrade to HD service and HD DVR service. Then I wished my Toshiba had died a long time ago.
Now mine and my son's Favorites do not have channels in them that are not HD.

It is a fact that the HD DVRs are slower at changing channels, etc. The HD receivers are very fast but not as fast as the SD receivers. It is a small price to pay for all of what you get with the HD service and receivers.
Your eyes will thank you when you do.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#70 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

SD at DTV is sucks ! Worst in the country !

Disagree. I think it's just fine (and I have a 42" HDTV too).

If (when) I ever do upgrade to HD, it won't be from a provider squeezing me $10 a month like DirecTV when DISH and Cable offer HD for free....

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#71 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

fine ?
well, that's your eyes ... or the TV do the upconvertion/interpolation (perhaps super AI)

as to physics, DTV cutting SD resolution from 704x480 to 352x480 or 240x480 and compressing these SD channels down to 1 Mbps bandwidth

Where is the beef, Thomas ? :D

WARNING ! - we got to far offtopic !

Protected By... spam firewall...And...