Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Comcast ISP blocking Directv

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

Is anyone else having this problem? As of yesterday (Jan 1), I cannot access the DirecTV website from any device connected to my home wifi, which is a Comcast connection. I can access the site on my cell phone. I also can't launch the DTV iPad app. I found a post today on the Comcast forum from someone else with the same problem (website, they didn't mention iPad app). I will contact Comcast, but does anyone here with tech knowledge have a workaround that I can try? Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

I can connect to DirecTV.com here in Northern VA using Comcast as my provider.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 368 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

I just tried to sign in to DirecTV.com via my Comcast business internet account and had no luck accessing the site.

EDIT: Just tried via my work VPN and it worked. Also just checked on my non-work computer and now it works. Weird.

DirecTV subscriber 1999-2011, 2012 - present
Comcast subscriber 2011-2012, 2013 - present

#4 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 373 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

I just tried again, and now it works. The iPad app also now works. This is after 24 hours of it not working, and also after I posted on the Comcast forum and also reported it to DTV via Twitter. Saves me a frustrating call to Comcast tech support!

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

It is possible a DNS related issue.

Do you use Comcast's DNS? Or a 3rd party like OpenDNS ?
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

It's a dns issue as Earl mentioned. I too woke up this morning and couldn't access several sites. I then changed my dns settings in my souter to use googles dns name servers and wala, I was able to get access once again.

Sometimes, com"CRAP" just happens.....:grin:

#7 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 373 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

Again, I didn't change anything, and it now works. How would I have changed the DNS? I don't know how to do this, but I assume it would be in the router software?

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,893 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

That's the best place, so that all systems on the network use Google. You would set DNS as static, to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

#9 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,474 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

Unless you want to change it permanately in your router, the simplest thing to do is go to the TCPIP (V4) properties of your network adapter and click 'Use this DNS' and enter 8.8.8.8 for Google or

208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220 for OpenDNS.

Edited by dennisj00, 02 January 2013 - 01:36 PM.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#10 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

All routers will have some sort of interface page like this to allow for changes. I use a D-Link, model and here are what the changes would be for use with the google DNS settings:

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

#11 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 456 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Google already knows too much about my habits. I use Open DNS. The only time I use Google's dns is when I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem. It's easy to remember.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#12 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

I have been using OpenDNS for about 3 years now.
I never had the need, until Comcast's DNS Servers went down here in the Chicago area...

I knew what to do, so was not impacted for long.
However, others... 3 DAYS!!!! before they had the DNS servers back up and running...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#13 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,538 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

When I had Comcast, I always had Dns problems and used opendns.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#14 OFFLINE   billcoff

billcoff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

I just tried again, and now it works. The iPad app also now works. This is after 24 hours of it not working, and also after I posted on the Comcast forum and also reported it to DTV via Twitter. Saves me a frustrating call to Comcast tech support!

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who had this problem. I spent a lot of yesterday evening trying to figure out why I couldn't access the DTV website or use my iPad app. When I got up this morning, everything was fine.

#15 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

I have Comcast & have no problem connecting to D's website.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#16 OFFLINE   BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite

Legend

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

Wow I've been having problems with Directv services over my Comcast internet for a few days now. I've spoken to Comcast several times and even have a tech scheduled to come out on Saturday.

I initially noticed it when trying to stream vudu (not related to directv) but then noticed my directv on demand wasn't working right either.

Seems to be working now. Maybe they fixed it? I think I'll wait until Friday to cancel that tech.

#17 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 617 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

It works here as well.

For DNS with Comcast, use 75.75.75.75, 75.75.76.76 fro your DNS nameservers, these are universal DNS locations In the event your local Comcast DNS servers goes off line. The above addresses effectively are "logical pointers" to all the Comcast DNS servers. I have been using this set up for a couple years, without issues.

#18 OFFLINE   BearsFan

BearsFan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts
  • LocationChicago Suburbs

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

I posted a different thread, but wanted to chime in and say that changing DNS did not work for my particular issue. I changed it from OpenDNS to the aforementioned Comcast DNS, to Google DNS, and back again to Open DNS. No dice.

Loading the DirecTV website is painfully slow, and Live TV streaming to my iOS devices does not work at all. Or if it does, it takes 2 minutes to load & then it's unwatchable with all the pixelation and blocky movements. Can't make anything out.

I've contacted the @ComcastCares (heh…yeah, I'm *sure* they care) Twitter account as I've exhausted everything I've read here & know to try. It's been 24 hours now & Live TV streaming with iOS apps still doesn't work.
"You're dangerous...'cuz you're honest..."
--Bono/U2

DirecTV Sub since 1999
HD Convert since May 2011!
Enjoying an HR34 since Oct. 2012

#19 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

I posted a different thread, but wanted to chime in and say that changing DNS did not work for my particular issue. I changed it from OpenDNS to the aforementioned Comcast DNS, to Google DNS, and back again to Open DNS. No dice.

Loading the DirecTV website is painfully slow, and Live TV streaming to my iOS devices does not work at all. Or if it does, it takes 2 minutes to load & then it's unwatchable with all the pixelation and blocky movements. Can't make anything out.

I've contacted the @ComcastCares (heh…yeah, I'm *sure* they care) Twitter account as I've exhausted everything I've read here & know to try. It's been 24 hours now & Live TV streaming with iOS apps still doesn't work.

Changing DNS has no effect on speed. If you're issue was a DNS issue DirecTV's website wouldn't load at all instead of "painfully slow".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#20 OFFLINE   BearsFan

BearsFan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts
  • LocationChicago Suburbs

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

Changing DNS has no effect on speed. If you're issue was a DNS issue DirecTV's website wouldn't load at all instead of "painfully slow".

Yup, you're right. I'm just trying everything & anything.

Not sure what to do now. I'll try again in the morning. No word from Comcast on Twitter as of yet.
"You're dangerous...'cuz you're honest..."
--Bono/U2

DirecTV Sub since 1999
HD Convert since May 2011!
Enjoying an HR34 since Oct. 2012

Protected By... spam firewall...And...