Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What's with all these commercials?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,081 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:04 AM

http://news.yahoo.co...-175258061.html

We have a winner!

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

I forget who it was but there was a guest host on Johnny Carson's "Tonight Show" who was annoyed by all the commercial interruptions. After one of the breaks he looked into the camera and said "We interrupt our regularly scheduled commercials so that we may bring you the following program". And that was back in the days when we only had OTA reception! DirecTV is a service provider and is only responsible for their own ads. Advertisement is in abundance. It's everywhere. Just look how it's exploded on the internet. It's only a matter of time before we'll be seeing advertisements printed on our toilet paper.

I always loved the quips about the sponsors of Alfred "You Know Who" Presents as well. (trying to avoid the censorship module)

#28 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,081 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

I always loved the quips about the sponsors of Alfred "You Know Who" Presents as well. (trying to avoid the censorship module)

Me too. Hitchco*k had a way with words when dealing with commercial breaks.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#29 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 390 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

When I bought my Kindle Fire I purchased the option to go ad free. I know it isn't feasible and probably not technically possible, but too bad cable/sat providers can't have that option. I bet a lot of customers would gladly pay to eliminate commercials, or at least minimize them.

#30 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,485 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

The latest tactic is pretty slick. 3 or 4 minutes of commercials followed by a 1 minute snippet of the show followed by 2 or 3 more minutes of commercials.

This is becoming more and more commonplace and they call it a Teaser!!! :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#31 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

Beware gentlemen, they are out there wringing their hands in anticipation of some geek that makes it impossible to skip,slip, or ff passed them.
They put more money into it than America does into cancer research.
Enjoy the good ole days while you can.

I do have that fear in the back of my mind.

Let's just say I do NOT consider the pre-VCR era to be so golden. 1984 was a banner year in my family, when we got our first VCR and I promptly began timeshifting and skipping commercials. And DVRs are a quantum leap over that.

Please, I do not want to go back.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#32 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,131 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

Please, I do not want to go back.

They already are blocking the skipping on some VOD programs.

I want to tell the networks right now, if you want to place an unskippable 5-10 minute ad at the beginning of every program in place of the enormous watermark logos and pop up ads during the show, I am down with it.

#33 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,863 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

They already are blocking the skipping on some VOD programs.

I want to tell the networks right now, if you want to place an unskippable 5-10 minute ad at the beginning of every program in place of the enormous watermark logos and pop up ads during the show, I am down with it.

Most on line viewing of almost anything now required you to sit through an ad. Very annoying to sit through a 30 second ad to watch a 1 minute news clip.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#34 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,127 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

Are you referring to Alfred Hitchcluck? :D
Just saw the recent movie regarding him and his wife.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#35 OFFLINE   nybill38

nybill38

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

want to see commercials? Turn on the NFL on sundays, there is over 1 hour and 45 minutes of commercials for a 3 hour broadcast. Some of the timeouts and "injuries" are also masked TV timeouts.

I'm glad I had Sunday Ticket free this year because if I paid for it i'd be real unhappy right now.

#36 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,127 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

want to see commercials? Turn on the NFL on sundays, there is over 1 hour and 45 minutes of commercials for a 3 hour broadcast. Some of the timeouts and "injuries" are also masked TV timeouts.

I'm glad I had Sunday Ticket free this year because if I paid for it i'd be real unhappy right now.

Try the Red Zone!

In any event, commercials, TOs with or without commercials, most half times, are why I start most FB and Baseball an hour or more into the game.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#37 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,612 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

Again, commercials are necessary for most networks and the absence of them would have a negative effect on the content you do enjoy.
DTV = Digital Television

#38 OFFLINE   LakeSteve

LakeSteve

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

The standard commercial break, even for sitcoms used to be 2:30. Now, they squeeze in much more by showing the closing credits at lightening speed and cutting out the opening themes. They even cut away the :30 "throwaway gag" most shows used to have at the very end.

Cable networks are notorious for this, but they are also making their new programs with less content to cater to more local availability.

You're right, once that extra time is allotted, it's going to be filled. There's no going back and re-editing shows just because the commercial load isn't filled that day. That's why you see endless ASPCA and Christian Children's charity PSA's in the early hours of the night, ESPECIALLY this time of year when all the holiday ad campaigns are over.

It's also common practice for networks to "bonus" their biggest advertisers/accounts with free commercials during unsold time, which is why you see the same commercials over and over again.

#39 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 713 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

The more the media industry consolidates to the few players, they know they can load up on the commercials. Also, a number of these media companies own the premium networks. Effectively, if people get sick of 5 minute commercial breaks, chopped programming, and constant interruptions, they will pay for the premium networks.

By the way, the hatchet job, overdone commercial award goes to NBC for its 50th Anniversary presentation of the "Mr. McGoo Christmas Carol". The 53 minute running time was cut to 38 minutes. The songs were cut to one verse. And the final song, was cut completely. The commercial breaks came a illogical locations in the story.

When this show originally aired, and can be seen by the DVD, there are natural breaks fro commercials. In 1962, hour long shows ran about 53 minutes. So, one can imagine what was trashed on this recent airing. I will say it was almost unrecognizable.

NBC also owns Chiller, last week an obvious 90 minute movie ran in 2.5 hours. (The Last Winter in prime time).

I recorded both programs noted above and hence how I arrived at the times. So these shows were probably shorter, because of the time it takes to skip through commercials.

#40 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,863 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

Hey. Try going to a game. Lots of nothing.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#41 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Most on line viewing of almost anything now required you to sit through an ad. Very annoying to sit through a 30 second ad to watch a 1 minute news clip.

Try Adblock plus, it works. I'm using Chrome but there is a version for Firefox that I haven't tried yet.

#42 OFFLINE   JcT21

JcT21

Legend

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

TV land is bad for cutting out parts of the show for commercials. ive noticed that andy griffith is done this way. and those extra long medicare open enrollment / humana healthcare / aarp commercials drive me nuts! seems they show them constantly. :nono2:

i use the double play often so i can get a delayed start of about 15 minutes so i can go back to watch my program in peace.

Xtra + HD Extra Pack + HBO + Starz
SiriusXM subscriber

#43 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,863 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

Try Adblock plus, it works. I'm using Chrome but there is a version for Firefox that I haven't tried yet.

I don't like Firefox. I use it at work. It doesn't interpret HTML properly.

Besides, we are talking generally not for geeks and wonks. The answer always is for streaming...well, you do this and this and this. Won't be successful if you need to be an IT expert to make it suitable. Joe six pack gets gets a dvr and can zip thru commercials.

#44 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

I don't like Firefox. I use it at work. It doesn't interpret HTML properly.

Besides, we are talking generally not for geeks and wonks. The answer always is for streaming...well, you do this and this and this. Won't be successful if you need to be an IT expert to make it suitable. Joe six pack gets gets a dvr and can zip thru commercials.

Which one do you use at home?

#45 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,863 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

Which one do you use at home?

IE. it works fine. Why bother with others?

And safari on my mobile devices.

#46 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

I have no issues with Firefox. Adblock Plus is reason enough to download Firefox and use that as the default browser. If you have an occasional hiccup it's easier to open IE here and there than always sit through ads in my opinion.

#47 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 986 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

I will say, I much prefer commercials to ads they sometimes insert into the actual dialog of the show. Examples like Toyota in Bones, the whole Skype thing on Pawn Stars etc. I'll forgive Subway with Chuck as that was done better, and it at least temporarily saved the show.

If more ads were entertaining, I think more people might at least watch them once, and even remember them.

Product placement has gotten horrible lately. There was an entire episode of New Girl devoted to the Ford Fusion. An episode of Rizzoli & Isles and a random scene just to point out the advantages of Dr Scholl's Inserts. Lately that Windows Surface is literally everwhere on tv.

Now the mere fact we are talking about them means they work. Still dont like them.

since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
HR24-500 -- Samsung UN32EH5000FXZA

#48 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

It works on Firefox and Chrome and should be available for IE sometime this year.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...