Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What's with all these commercials?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Most on line viewing of almost anything now required you to sit through an ad. Very annoying to sit through a 30 second ad to watch a 1 minute news clip.

Try Adblock plus, it works. I'm using Chrome but there is a version for Firefox that I haven't tried yet.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   JcT21

JcT21

Legend

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

TV land is bad for cutting out parts of the show for commercials. ive noticed that andy griffith is done this way. and those extra long medicare open enrollment / humana healthcare / aarp commercials drive me nuts! seems they show them constantly. :nono2:

i use the double play often so i can get a delayed start of about 15 minutes so i can go back to watch my program in peace.

Xtra + HD Extra Pack
SiriusXM subscriber

#43 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,621 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

Try Adblock plus, it works. I'm using Chrome but there is a version for Firefox that I haven't tried yet.

I don't like Firefox. I use it at work. It doesn't interpret HTML properly.

Besides, we are talking generally not for geeks and wonks. The answer always is for streaming...well, you do this and this and this. Won't be successful if you need to be an IT expert to make it suitable. Joe six pack gets gets a dvr and can zip thru commercials.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#44 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

I don't like Firefox. I use it at work. It doesn't interpret HTML properly.

Besides, we are talking generally not for geeks and wonks. The answer always is for streaming...well, you do this and this and this. Won't be successful if you need to be an IT expert to make it suitable. Joe six pack gets gets a dvr and can zip thru commercials.

Which one do you use at home?

#45 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,621 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

Which one do you use at home?

IE. it works fine. Why bother with others?

And safari on my mobile devices.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#46 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

I have no issues with Firefox. Adblock Plus is reason enough to download Firefox and use that as the default browser. If you have an occasional hiccup it's easier to open IE here and there than always sit through ads in my opinion.

#47 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

I will say, I much prefer commercials to ads they sometimes insert into the actual dialog of the show. Examples like Toyota in Bones, the whole Skype thing on Pawn Stars etc. I'll forgive Subway with Chuck as that was done better, and it at least temporarily saved the show.

If more ads were entertaining, I think more people might at least watch them once, and even remember them.

Product placement has gotten horrible lately. There was an entire episode of New Girl devoted to the Ford Fusion. An episode of Rizzoli & Isles and a random scene just to point out the advantages of Dr Scholl's Inserts. Lately that Windows Surface is literally everwhere on tv.

Now the mere fact we are talking about them means they work. Still dont like them.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#48 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

It works on Firefox and Chrome and should be available for IE sometime this year.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...