Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Intel to Offer A La Cart?

• Please log in to reply
458 replies to this topic

#421 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

I understand that this is the party line. I also understand that there is a pile of money waiting for someone to find a different way of taking it.

The current model is the way things will be until it isn't.

It isn't the party line. It's the simple reality of the situation.
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#422 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

It's the current reality of the situation.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#423 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 578 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

This was funny... last night we watched Continuum on SyFy (slightly time-shifted ;)). Saw a reference to liber8.com. :lol:

http://tvbythenumber...projects/58728/:

Over $500 million revenue for SyFy :confused:
That article says in 2010 the highest rated show was... Ghost Hunters :eek2:
Boy, that one costs a fortune to make.

We love science fiction but the garbage they make is rarely watchable. Somebody is making truckloads of money.

#424 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

This was funny... last night we watched Continuum on SyFy (slightly time-shifted ;)). Saw a reference to liber8.com. :lol:

We love science fiction but the garbage they make is rarely watchable. Somebody is making truckloads of money.

Hey! Those ectomorphic discombobulators don't come cheap!

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV since 1995

<><

#425 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

IF those numbers are right (big IF), $240 million divided by 96 million divided by 12 months is about 21 cents per subscriber. IF the numbers are correct.

The advertising is something totally different. Separate revenue stream, separate mechanics all together. Of course, what wasn't published in that article is their expenses.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#426 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

One of the things about this debate that is interesting is the idea that a la carte is about channels. Channels are a nearly century-old concept that came about because of physical realities/limitations of analog broadcast. Today, even broadcast channels are convenient relics in the form of virtual collections of digital content. This is where streamed content becomes a mechanism for offering a la carte. There is no reason someone couldn't self create a personal channel given content availability...

All true...but the term "channel" now means a set of content made available by a distributor through a given access point. Hence, the IPTV sources on Roku are called "channels" even though they are non-linear, non-broadcast sources of content.

For most of this discussion, the word "channel" should be construed in the Roku sense.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#427 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

...Somebody is making truckloads of money.

Of course, Continuum costs quite a bit to make, as does many of the other programs on SyFy. Ghost Hunters costs more than you think as well...location shooting is expensive. It is cheaper than a traditional scripted show, no argument, but it is not cheap.

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

#428 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

...Broadcom also makes cell phone chips and competes with Qualcomm. They both sell to multiple phone manufacturers. If one or the other gets ahead in features that, in turn, makes phones based on it ahead of features, which in turn drives more consumers to that. So how in the world does that not affect the chip supplier?...

Of course it does...in terms of how the allocate money to R&D, where they focus their development, etc. Just like the fact that CBS is currently trouncing NBC in the ratings will drive NBC to try new content while discarding the old. What the consumer does not have much influence over is the terms under which Broadcomm and Qualcomm make their products available to manufacturers, just as viewers have little influence over how Viacom and Comcast sell the CBS and NBC content to DirecTV and other MCOs.

Current setup:

#429 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

All true...but the term "channel" now means a set of content made available by a distributor through a given access point. Hence, the IPTV sources on Roku are called "channels" even though they are non-linear, non-broadcast sources of content.

For most of this discussion, the word "channel" should be construed in the Roku sense.

I'm not sure about that. Those are completely different models and have different costs and consumer appeal.

A la carte still means linear channels typically purchased one by one or as a like group (as in HBO being considered one channel for a la carte purchases).

Roku type channels are more provider than real channels and vary from all you can eat shows/movies or individual purchases. The Amazon "channel" has both via Prime and non-Prime channels (or non-Prime customers). Throw in season purchases as well.

No way does Joe Six Pack think of buying a season of Doctor Who on Amazon as "a la carte" and it is to Joe Six Pack we must examine any appeal of any model/product line.

Can we agree to keep models separate or the whole thing blurs into a muddy mess.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#430 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,961 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

Somebody is making truckloads of money.

Yeah and contrary to popular belief by many anti sports people, it's the regular cable networks who are greedy with high cash flow margins and not sports networks like ESPN.

http://www.tvnewsche...t-retrans-value

"In addition, sports networks typically have lower cash flow margins than general entertainment and other genres," the reports says. "ESPN, for instance, which makes up almost 15% of industry revenue, has a cash flow margin of just 25.3%."

Looks like it's the non sports channels that are the greedy ones.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#431 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 578 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

I'd just rather see that pile of money get us MORE content by working together instead of less content for more money ... which is the eventual result of a la carte.

A la carte is just a perceived means to an end.

I haven't seen much change in the quantity or quality of content. I already pay for channels upgrading to HD with my $120/yr HD fee.

In a large mature industry like this one would expect increases to be around inflation.

Facts: Since 2009...
  • DirecTV has gone up 24%
  • inflation was about 7%
  • median household incomes gained about 1%

#432 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

Yeah and contrary to popular belief by many anti sports people, it's the regular cable networks who are greedy with high cash flow margins and not sports networks like ESPN.

http://www.tvnewsche...t-retrans-value

Looks like it's the non sports channels that are the greedy ones.

It is not so much the greed of ESPN et al, but the overall "greed" of sports in general. I think SR has mentioned several times the large contracts that the sports channels are giving to teams, leagues and conferences. Just look at the recent TW/Lakers/Dodgers deals.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#433 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 578 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

Just like the fact that CBS is currently trouncing NBC in the ratings will drive NBC to try new content while discarding the old.

And this is new? CBS has been way ahead of NBC for a long time I suspect. It sure is on my playlist.

NBC needs to try an entirely new strategy, not just new content. They fling stuff out there and then kill it before it ever has a chance.

#434 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 578 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

Of course, Continuum costs quite a bit to make, as does many of the other programs on SyFy. Ghost Hunters costs more than you think as well...location shooting is expensive. It is cheaper than a traditional scripted show, no argument, but it is not cheap.

Typical SyFy formula for "science fiction":

Take a futuristic science fiction story concept and place it in the dumpiest location you can find, make it really dark so you can't see the joke that it is, sprinkle in a minute or so of cgi each episode and call it good.

Lots of times it looks like it was made with a consumer camera and edited on a Mac in somebodies basement.

All that stuff may be expensive but that doesn't mean it should be.

Typical road or utility projects are expensive too. It cost money to have 4 supervisors standing around watching 1 worker.

#435 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

Take a futuristic science fiction story concept and place it in the dumpiest location you can find, make it really dark so you can't see the joke that it is, sprinkle in a minute or so of cgi each episode and call it good.

Lots of times it looks like it was made with a consumer camera and edited on a Mac in somebodies basement.

Typical road or utility projects are expensive too. It cost money to have 4 supervisors standing around watching 1 worker.

As you cheapen the cost of production you also reduce the production value. I can tell a show that was written for network TV, superstation TV, cable, and web. They all have their look and feel, and as production quality drops, so does viewership, which in turn reduces the marketing value.

If those are linear functions, or if reducing the cost is faster than the rate of marketing value, all is good. New equipment can make that happen.

But writing, acting, directing, etc. often reduces the marketing value much faster than the rate for reducing the cost.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#436 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

And this is new? CBS has been way ahead of NBC for a long time I suspect. It sure is on my playlist.

NBC needs to try an entirely new strategy, not just new content. They fling stuff out there and then kill it before it ever has a chance.

That wasn't my point. My point was the parallels between Broadcomm/Qualcomm competition and CBS/NBC competition. You have made the case that the TV industry has no competition, and I have been pointing out where it does. You have assumed that you are the network's customer in the same way Nokia is Qualcomm's. I was pointing out that Nokia is more comparable to DirecTV and you can influence a network's business dealings about as much as you can Qualcomm's.

Current setup:

#437 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

FWIW - Continuum is made/produced in Canada where it has completed its 1st season. SyFy licensed it to show in the US. But your point on the quality of many shows airing on Syfy (my personal favorites Warehouse 13 and Farscape notwithstanding :) is valid. To the topic at hand...SyFy is available for streaming via PlayOn. Limited content is available via Roku.

Kevin

DirecTV since 1995

<><

#438 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 578 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

As you cheapen the cost of production you also reduce the production value. I can tell a show that was written for network TV, superstation TV, cable, and web. They all have their look and feel, and as production quality drops, so does viewership, which in turn reduces the marketing value.

If those are linear functions, or if reducing the cost is faster than the rate of marketing value, all is good. New equipment can make that happen.

But writing, acting, directing, etc. often reduces the marketing value much faster than the rate for reducing the cost.

Everyone in the ecosystem that creates and delivers a product deserves to make a good living. I would add that the statement applies to any industry anywhere.

What is wrong with the current system is that the consumer has very little feedback unlike just about any other product. Most things are tied up in knots. The only people that don't pay for SyFy are those that don't have TV service or are on the lowest tier package.

I am willing to pay more for better content. The lack of a free market prevents content creators from getting that money.

It's a stupid system.

And BTW, I've seen the cheapening/devaluation of labor. I used to do software engineering! Ask engineers about the many jobs that were shipped to India/China and the remaining jobs demanding 2 or 3 times the output for the same money.

Maybe that is the root of everything - increasingly unjustifiable redistribution of wealth.

#439 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

I am willing to pay more for better content. The lack of a free market prevents content creators from getting that money.

But you can today. Buy all your choice of entertainment on DVD or Blu Ray or PPV.

And stop claiming there is a lack of free market. It is an unintelligent use of the term. A free market refers to a lack of GOVERNMENT restriction. While the market is regulated, when it comes to how content is provided, there is little government restriction other than who gets the airwave rights. The content itself is purely market driven.

You decry the lack of a free market in several posts then want more government regulation in others. You cannot have it both ways.

#440 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

Everyone in the ecosystem that creates and delivers a product deserves to make a good living. I would add that the statement applies to any industry anywhere.

What is wrong with the current system is that the consumer has very little feedback unlike just about any other product. Most things are tied up in knots. The only people that don't pay for SyFy are those that don't have TV service or are on the lowest tier package.

It's a stupid system.

And BTW, I've seen the cheapening/devaluation of labor. I used to do software engineering! Ask engineers about the many jobs that were shipped to India/China and the remaining jobs demanding 2 or 3 times the output for the same money.

Maybe that is the root of everything - increasingly unjustifiable redistribution of wealth.

There are two parts to this. You presume you are the buyer of content. As Diana points out, it is the marketers that are the real buyers. So you're control is limited as a non buyer.

But... You still have lots of control by your choices of what you watch. If you don't watch shows, they get less money. That is market control.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...