Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Intel to Offer A La Cart?

• Please log in to reply
458 replies to this topic

#441 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

And stop claiming there is a lack of free market. It is an unintelligent use of the term. A free market refers to a lack of GOVERNMENT restriction. While the market is regulated, when it comes to how content is provided, there is little government restriction other than who gets the airwave rights. The content itself is purely market driven.

You're operating with blinders. Look up free market. It is government OR MONOPOLIES. Or, as another poster pointed out a better word with similar meaning for market realities, OLIGOPOLY. Which TV services are.

I'm done with these arguments as my words keep getting twisted into definitions that are incorrect in an attempt to blunt the argument. Looking back at my posts there a lot of valid points that everyone just ignores rather than coming up with a useful argument - because their isn't one. In my days in corporate america when management did this we called it what it was - deflection. It's been interesting but I've had enough.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#442 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,375 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

Well, take care.

Next time you posit your POV, try to omit the analogies, which, however clever and right on for a segment of the discussion, always go astray. And time gets lost discussing the analogy, not the central issue.

Interesting to note that most monopolies and oligopolies start out with many providers, and through competition and sometimes through manipulation and agression end up with a handful of providers, or one, as in the case of JD Rockefeller and oil.

With TV, initially there were a number of providers, soon whittled down to the big three networks. Delivering only OTA. Then came local cable companies and DBS- the BUGs, later the small dishes. Then FIOS, then internet. So over the past generation, we've seen delivery proliferate; just the opposite of oligopolistic behavior.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#443 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

You're operating with blinders. Look up free market. It is government OR MONOPOLIES. Or, as another poster pointed out a better word with similar meaning for market realities, OLIGOPOLY. Which TV services are.

I'm done with these arguments as my words keep getting twisted into definitions that are incorrect in an attempt to blunt the argument. Looking back at my posts there a lot of valid points that everyone just ignores rather than coming up with a useful argument - because their isn't one. In my days in corporate america when management did this we called it what it was - deflection. It's been interesting but I've had enough.

We do not have a free market economy. Also, there is no monopoly.
DTV = Digital Television

#444 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

We do not have a free market economy. Also, there is no monopoly.

Strictly speaking, no one has a free market economy. It's virtually impossible to achieve. unixguru is correct when he said tv services are an oligopoly.

#445 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

Well, take care.

Next time you posit your POV, try to omit the analogies, which, however clever and right on for a segment of the discussion, always go astray. And time gets lost discussing the analogy, not the central issue.

Interesting to note that most monopolies and oligopolies start out with many providers, and through competition and sometimes through manipulation and agression end up with a handful of providers, or one, as in the case of JD Rockefeller and oil.

With TV, initially there were a number of providers, soon whittled down to the big three networks. Delivering only OTA. Then came local cable companies and DBS- the BUGs, later the small dishes. Then FIOS, then internet. So over the past generation, we've seen delivery proliferate; just the opposite of oligopolistic behavior.

There are many tv service providers, but most aren't available to any one person. There are rarely more than three choices, Directv, Dish, or cable. Some have Uverse or FIOS, but the last two aren't widely available. You could call ota a choice, but it's got little content compared to satellite or cable. Internet could also be considered a choice, but it's not that easy for someone who isn't tech savvy to access a wide variety of programming. Most people use the internet for checking their email and going to Facebook!

#446 OFFLINE   wmb

wmb

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

Here is a quote from an article at the Financial Times...

TV has immense staying power and will coexist with digital video for years, but if fans are going to illegal sites for episodes they cannot find legally, content owners are needlessly missing out on potential download, subscription and ad revenue.

They are also annoying their customers. As James McQuivey of Forrester Research puts it in his book, Digital Disruption, “what has changed is consumers’ ability to get what they want. This has led them to expect that their needs and wants can and should be met”.

http://www.ft.com/cm...l#axzz2LUizMIJH

#447 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,814 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

Ghost Hunters costs more than you think as well...location shooting is expensive.

I'm pretty sure there is a breakdown somewhere on how much it cost to do The Blair Witch Project. All you need is a cheap consumer camcorder with IR capability and a few fancy looking charts and graphs on computer monitors scattered about to look like instrumentation. The production part could be thrown together on a notebook computer or two. What money there is is probably tied up in "talent".

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#448 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 768 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:15 AM

Interesting...

Intel's Cable Destroying Media Project Is Blowing Away The People Who See It

Read more: http://www.businessi...4#ixzz2PzH3IY6f
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#449 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,985 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

Interesting...

Intel's Cable Destroying Media Project Is Blowing Away The People Who See It

Read more: http://www.businessi...4#ixzz2PzH3IY6f

This puts to bed the idea that it'll save money.

As CEO Erik Huggers told attendees at the All Things D media conference in February, this isn't a service for cord-cutters or anyone who wants a cut-rate cable package...

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#450 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,375 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

This puts to bed the idea that it'll save money.

Not only that, but the enthusiastic description,

he says it has "a gorgeous interface," a "simple remote," a better video recording system, and better social features.

leaves out two rather important factors: Content and PQ.....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#451 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,568 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

Not a word on either.

And the articles poo-poo what ISPs can do. They won't throttle but they can put on caps. Caps are equal opportunity weapons.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#452 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

Not only that, but the enthusiastic description,

Not sure why tech companies are obsessed with integrating social networking, so my friends can know what i watch. I don't want anyone knowing that I watch some of the most culturally valueless shows out there. As far as any of your are concerned - all i watch is Downton Abbey.

#453 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,568 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

Not sure why tech companies are obsessed with integrating social networking, so my friends can know what i watch. I don't want anyone knowing that I watch some of the most culturally valueless shows out there. As far as any of your are concerned - all i watch is Downton Abbey.

Because it trendy. New trendy thing? Let's jump on it.

If they could have done it, they would adjust GUIs to follow the latest dance crazes. A Gangnam Style GUI, a Harlem Shake GUI.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#454 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 768 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

Interesting comments from cable pioneer John Malone on the coming decoupling from sports networks. Claims 80%+ would choose not to pay for the sports channels. More insights on the future demise of 'bundling' and other stuff:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100637283
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#455 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,367 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

Interesting comments from cable pioneer John Malone on the coming decoupling from sports networks. Claims 80%+ would choose not to pay for the sports channels. More insights on the future demise of 'bundling' and other stuff:

Interesting article. Thanks for the post.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#456 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,568 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

Not seeing the 80% claim in the article.

And what does he mean by sports? All sports or the add ons? RSNs or ESPN?

Very loosey goosey comments.

#457 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,796 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

Not seeing the 80% claim in the article.

It is about 50 seconds in to the video.

"80% of subscribers would reject the sports content if they were offered it at wholesale prices."

It seems like a good reason for sports channels to push even harder to be in a tier that reaches the most customers possible. "Put us in Choice or you don't get our channel." Or for a channel like ESPN with more leverage "put us in Entertainment or you don't get our channel."

#458 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:19 PM

I am sure many say they would give up sports yet would get them when they didn't have them anymore

Not saying it would be many but a decent amount, IMO

#459 OFFLINE   housemr

housemr

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

This would be a great start.

Make catagories like sports, learning (tlc, discovery, nat geo), family (disney, nick, etc) would be a really good start.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...