Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What I'd like to see in 2013 from D*

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,209 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

1. Fix the damned Channels I Get!

2. Make the external HD an add-on instead of replacing the internal HD.

3. AND make it tied to the account and not to the receiver. The usefulness of the external HD is dramatically reduced when you know that if the receiver craps out, you lose all the recordings.

4. And while we're at it, make it work with USB. No real reason not to, and it was reported in a few forums that it did work at least for awhile.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,897 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

Backing up series links to a USB key would be a good use for that, especially if the external hard drive is an extension, and the series links are still internal.

#3 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,209 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

Backing up the series link to a USB stick would be very nice. I know that I have 40+ of them on the 2 HR24s I have in my main viewing area and don't look forward to recreating them on a new box should one be needed.

Frankly because I can't do that now is one of the reasons I haven't switched to an HR34.

Lloyd

#4 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

Make a Recently Deleted folder for the Playlist. Hold recordings in there for 24 hours after they are deleted.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#5 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,364 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

Backing up the series link to a USB stick would be very nice. I know that I have 40+ of them on the 2 HR24s I have in my main viewing area and don't look forward to recreating them on a new box should one be needed.

Frankly because I can't do that now is one of the reasons I haven't switched to an HR34.

If your HR craps out, your series links remain on the HDD. If you're using an external or have replaced your internal drive, putting the same HDD on another HR still leaves you with your SLs. Still would be nice to be able to use any HR to view content on any HDD within an account. But, we've been asking for that for years and nobody at D* seems to care.

Rich

#6 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

Backing up a custom favorites list would be nice too.
I would like to see them finish CIG. The 600s, 700s needs to be fixed. I thought most of 200-400 and the 500s were pretty close.
my setup here

#7 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,526 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

Same thing as 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006....

Archiving of recorded content.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#8 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,784 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

- Either get MediaShare working and get rid of the beta label or dump it.
- Roll out the TVApps replacement. DIRECTV got rid of the web site and developers have stopped writing for it.
- Allow for multiple HR34's on an account
- Make TV Everywhere really everywhere, not only when you're on your home network
- Make remote scheduling two way/interactive so you can see if a recording will really happen and not just hope it does

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#9 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,542 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

1. Fix the damned Channels I Get!

2. Make the external HD an add-on instead of replacing the internal HD.

3. AND make it tied to the account and not to the receiver. The usefulness of the external HD is dramatically reduced when you know that if the receiver craps out, you lose all the recordings.

4. And while we're at it, make it work with USB. No real reason not to, and it was reported in a few forums that it did work at least for awhile.

Backing up series links to a USB key would be a good use for that, especially if the external hard drive is an extension, and the series links are still internal.

I like all of these.
And while we're at it why not backup the series links to a Network Attached Storage (NAS) drive. Of course, you'd have to have your DVR networked.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#10 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,661 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

I agree with everything said so far, but also add:

A one button PIP on/off toggle for the HR34. The current implementation is way too many button presses.

Bring back the color buttons.

An 8 tuner HMC. ;)

#11 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:32 AM

An option for cloud storage could solve a lot of the issues mentioned above. If you could upload selected recordings to a DirecTV server, and then restore them to any DVR on your account that would satisfy a good portion of the external hard drive requests. Cloud storage for the Nomad would also be cool (allowing you to reload your device when away from home).

This could even be a revenue source for DirecTV - subscribers might get, say, 300 GB for free, with additional storage available for purchase/rental.
Dish Network Customer from 1998-2001
DirecTV Customer since October, 2001
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

#12 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,209 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

The biggest problem with cloud storage is the time it would take to upload to the cloud. 300Gb of uploads would take an enormous amount of time for most of us I suspect.

Lloyd

#13 OFFLINE   dconfer

dconfer

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

How about getting the apps out for andriod so we can use our Nomads.

#14 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 262 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

An option for cloud storage could solve a lot of the issues mentioned above. If you could upload selected recordings to a DirecTV server, and then restore them to any DVR on your account that would satisfy a good portion of the external hard drive requests. Cloud storage for the Nomad would also be cool (allowing you to reload your device when away from home).

This could even be a revenue source for DirecTV - subscribers might get, say, 300 GB for free, with additional storage available for purchase/rental.

I thought of a different implementation of this idea: Say for "On Demand" movies they have options to "rent" for $4.99 or to "Buy" for $19.99 (or whatever price makes sense). If you buy it, it's stored on your local hard drive for play whenever you want, but if said receiver goes bad it doesn't matter: DirecTV knows you bought it and you can re-download it to your new receiver. This way, DTV only has to keep 1 "copy" on their servers instead of allocating GBs for each person that wants to store their movie library via their cloud. Couple this with the ability to port external hard drives between receivers within an account, and you have a good way for customers to both archive their shows AND build a digital movie library. Side effect for DirecTV is an additional revenue stream and a decrease in churn (Because once you leave DTV, your movie & archive access dies).
DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#15 OFFLINE   gcd0865

gcd0865

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

(1) Some way, any way, to manually add OTA stations (including subchannels) into the AM21's saved channel listing as you rotate your outside antenna among multiple directions.
(2) Some way, any way, for the on-screen guide to display programming data for manually-added OTA stations.
(3) Add satellite delivery of "significantly viewed" adjacent market stations that match local cable company offerings.

#16 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

A way to go back, download and lock in a stable software so it's never changed again......

#17 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,733 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

The biggest problem with cloud storage is the time it would take to upload to the cloud. 300Gb of uploads would take an enormous amount of time for most of us I suspect.

Not if it were run on the iTunes Match model. There, their server checks certain data points, but doesn't actually upload your file; it already has it. So you, and thousands of other fee paying cloud storers can download that file any old time. Still, that'd mean practically that DIRECTV® archives every single show it has ever aired.... way more than the bulk of MP3 songs that Apple holds. What's a thousand Terrabytes? A sh**load of storage, but how many of those would be needed??
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#18 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

Restore functionality of being able to control a recorded show in PIG while viewing the Guide. They had this feature for a short time and then dropped it.

#19 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

At a minimum, take the cloud storage idea and apply it to settings, wish lists, series links, etc. though I agree cloud storage of recordings is not feasible (it would be very, very, very wasteful)

No reason I shouldn't be able to modify my priorities, series links, and favorite channels lists on my iPad app or on the website. Plus, if you grab all that and store it online, you could then duplicate it out to my other receivers or restore my settings automagically if I have to get a new box. Check out the way TiVo does it with their Series 4 boxes and then take it a step or two further.

#20 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

Another one, add the ability to order the WHDVR playlist by more than just date recorded and alphabetical; such as, order by which DVR recorded it and then by date or alphabet.

spam firewall