Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What I'd like to see in 2013 from D*

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jmpfaff

jmpfaff

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

Backing up series links to a USB key would be a good use for that, especially if the external hard drive is an extension, and the series links are still internal.

I'd rather have the series links back up to DirecTV's website (e.g. cloud). Frankly, have the whole receiver profile up there (favorite list, config, etc), and when you swap out a receiver, you just pick one of your profiles to download onto that receiver.

I'd also like to see better use of the internet data path -- as an example, when a receiver is rebooted that has internet connectivity, download the guide via internet and get a picture on screen faster. Could do same for software updates.

Eventually, when you get to all receivers having internet connectivity (5 years down the road?), you could pull all that load off of the satellites.

Update: Whoops, just saw JosephB's post, not sure how I missed it on my first read through. Anyway, seconding what he said.

Edited by jmpfaff, 04 January 2013 - 03:52 PM.
Crediting JosephB

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,928 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

I'd also like to see better use of the internet data path -- as an example, when a receiver is rebooted that has internet connectivity, download the guide via internet and get a picture on screen faster.

The HR's already store the EPG and keep it intact during a reboot, it's when you reboot it twice within 30 minutes that you flush the EPG.

Could do same for software updates.

They already said that's not going to happen, it leaves open too many security holes as packet sniffing and rerouting can lead to easy hacks on the firmware.

#23 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

Cloud-based backup of preferences. That's my big one.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#24 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 672 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

There are a lot of good ideas here so I will just suggest a very small one that should be easy for D* to implement. Getting to my Future Recordings list in one button press of the remote. Currently it takes 6 which is absolutely ridiculous!

#25 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

Hey, Daddy, *I* want an Oompa Loompa! I want you to get me an Oompa Loompa right away! I want an Oompa Loompa now!

;)
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#26 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

My wish-list:
  • Multiple HMCs officially supported.
  • Ability to lock a series link to a specific time slot (for sports/news shows that repeat)
  • Ability to display an individual DVR playlist from any MRV client, thus the ability to sit in any room and view just "my" individual playlist as if I was sitting at "my" DVR.
  • From the iOS mobile app or the DirecTV web-site ... the ability to manage recordings from an individual DVR, along with the ability to display DVR space utilization and manage/backup individual DVR settings, the todo list, and series links.
  • Native optimized nomad client for the iPad, along with the ability for a high-speed DVR-to-nomad data transfer, rather then the current MRV transcode approach.
  • Ability to copy/move a recording from one DVR to another DVR, for backup and/or DVR upgrade purposes, within the same DECA network on the same account.
  • Indication of the restart/up-time for any receiver, to aid with problem diagnostics, along with the ability to remotely schedule a receiver to restart and check for newer firmware.
  • >16 tuner SWiM without DECA cloud segmentation.
  • Caller-ID to any/all receivers on the home network, when only one DirecTV receiver has a phone line attached. Communication thru the same mechanism used for MRV.

Edited by Sixto, 04 January 2013 - 05:13 PM.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#27 OFFLINE   millercentral

millercentral

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

Many of my wished have been mentioned already:

• Improved iPad companion app functionality: series/todo management, direct record scheduling (vs remote scheduling approach via directv.com), genie remote viewing on ipad of recorded list items
  • Windows 8 RT companion app with feature parity/support parity of the ipad version
  • Whole-House Scheduling: Option to have a common/global series/recording schedule that distributes the recordings around available tuners in the house. Recorded shows lists have worked this way for a while, it is time to get recording todos managed this way too.
  • 3PP API for companion app DVR management/access (ie, share all the currently proprietary interfaces)

#28 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

• The ability to archive recordings. I have no problem with this being a system where you need an active DirecTV account to access the recordings, with an encryption key that is tied to the account. But i would love to be able to take recordings on the road with me and watch them on a laptop or other mobile device without geographical restrictions and/or requirement of internet connection. Basically, a piece of software that allows you to "check out" content from a network connected DVR while in the house, and take it on the road with you. Additionally, I would like this software to have the ability to manage your DVR, e.g. delete recorded programs etc from a computer.
  • A "English International" package that features mostly news and some other stations from around the globe - I am thinking CNN International, CBC News, BBC World News, Australia's ABC, Russia Today, EuroNews, Al-Jazeera English, Sky News, etc, etc. The American "news" channels are way too political, and often don't report news for more than 5 minutes, followed by a bunch of talking heads that fight about it for 25 minutes. We need some REAL news on television.
  • A true Media Player addition to the software. DLNA works, but is very limited... no fast-forwarding or rewinding, and it relies on transcoding software present on a computer. I have a lot of DVD's I digitized (ripped) and placed on my central "server" (a desktop with a buckload of harddrives) and I can watch them from any network connected device in the house. For the livingroom I have a laptop with XBMC loaded to access the files. This works fairly well, but I have to change the input on my TV, the input on my audio receiver, and use another remote (USB connected infrared device) to control it. It would be so much easier if the DirecTV software could become a true mediacenter.
  • User-controlled apps. I would like to see a system where TV Apps are replaced by apps that can be created, maintained, and published by the community - using some form of programming standard. Have a university TV station that only broadcasts over the internet or a local antenna and you want to add it to your big screen? Build an app for that. Have a foreign TV station that offers a free stream online and you want to see it on your TV? Build an app for that. Want to see the world time for a number of selectable cities or countries on your screen? Build an app for that. Etc, etc.

[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#29 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

I would just be happy if they could make it where if 4 of us all record the same show, it only shows up once in the list, then on the play screen you can play locally or from dvr 1, 2, 3, etc...

ooh, and for them to finally define "soon" as in Nomad for Android coming "soon".... beginning to think soon is 2 years or something...

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#30 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,928 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

[*] A "English International" package that features mostly news and some other stations from around the globe - I am thinking CNN International, CBC News, BBC World News, Australia's ABC, Russia Today, EuroNews, Al-Jazeera English, Sky News, etc, etc. The American "news" channels are way too political, and often don't report news for more than 5 minutes, followed by a bunch of talking heads that fight about it for 25 minutes. We need some REAL news on television.

Australia's ABC News 24 cannot be offered outside of Australia due to the rights of many of the programs and international news segments they air.

The same goes for CBC News Network, they only have the Canadian rights to the documentaries they air in the evenings and overnight. Which is why Newsworld International left most of those shows out in favor of NHK and DW, replaced BBC World News with an ITN Newscast, and aired lots of produced for the US content instead of CBC Newsworld's rolling news coverage.

#31 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

My wish list:
1. CSN-Philadelphia
2. Have the ability to add significantly viewed neighboring DMAs (in my case, it's < 10 miles away). I'd even pay for it.
3. Have a way to view/update all your WWDVR "to do lists" and season passes from a computer or tablet.
4. I'll second maartena's news wish.
5. Have a really good weather radar app. The one on the "Active" channel is horrible.

Otherwise, I'm really happy with the service.

#32 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

My wish list:
1. CSN-Philadelphia
2. Have the ability to add significantly viewed neighboring DMAs (in my case, it's < 10 miles away). I'd even pay for it.
3. Have a way to view/update all your WWDVR "to do lists" and season passes from a computer or tablet.
4. I'll second maartena's news wish.
5. Have a really good weather radar app. The one on the "Active" channel is horrible.

Otherwise, I'm really happy with the service.

#2 is not anything that DirecTV can control. You'd have to petition the FCC to get that taken care of.

#33 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,997 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

#2 is not anything that DirecTV can control. You'd have to petition the FCC to get that taken care of.

With spotbeam configurations even with the FCC saying OK that's something that probably would be hard to implement.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#34 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

An option for cloud storage could solve a lot of the issues mentioned above. If you could upload selected recordings to a DirecTV server, and then restore them to any DVR on your account that would satisfy a good portion of the external hard drive requests. Cloud storage for the Nomad would also be cool (allowing you to reload your device when away from home).

This could even be a revenue source for DirecTV - subscribers might get, say, 300 GB for free, with additional storage available for purchase/rental.

How hard would it be to put a storage chip in the SWM switch or LNB that stored information like series management, custom settings and favorites lists for each location on the account? It wouldn't take much since it wouldn't be necessary to store any kind of guide data. Since a network is already created by the SWM setup, the ability to transfer data is already there. You wouldn't be able to do it with SD IRDs, but that's kind of what progress is all about.

#35 OFFLINE   augisdad

augisdad

AllStar

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

1) Easier access to Closed Captioning
2) Easier access to To-Do List
3) Bring back Trick play in PIG
HR20-100 since 2008 w/27" Sony SDTV
HR34 since 4/3/2012 w/47" Mitsubishi HDTV
HMC since 4/3/2012

#36 OFFLINE   Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

Firmware "upgrades" that actually correct existing problems and don't introduce new problems.

#37 OFFLINE   augisdad

augisdad

AllStar

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

Firmware "upgrades" that actually correct existing problems and don't introduce new problems.

+1 - What a concept!
HR20-100 since 2008 w/27" Sony SDTV
HR34 since 4/3/2012 w/47" Mitsubishi HDTV
HMC since 4/3/2012

#38 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,997 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

+1 - What a concept!

That would be nice is other companies like Apple, Microsoft, IBM, HP etc could also do that;)

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#39 OFFLINE   Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

That would be nice is other companies like Apple, Microsoft, IBM, HP etc could also do that;)

Granted that it is not saying much, but they do it a hell of a lot better than DirecTV!

I could also mention proper pre-release testing and release management, but that is probably completely out of the question.

#40 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 675 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

I'd like to see my HR record the last two channels simultaneously without having to activate the Double Play (like Tivo has always done)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...