Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What I'd like to see in 2013 from D*

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

I'd like to see my HR record the last two channels simultaneously without having to activate the Double Play (like Tivo has always done)

You're referring to DLB (Dual Live Buffers), right? TIVO's version of that will not be on the DirecTV receivers. The closest we will get is Double Play, which, by the way, buffers for 90 minutes and not 30 minutes like TIVO.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

Firmware "upgrades" that actually correct existing problems and don't introduce new problems.

Bingo! that's where I was headed with my "want"

#43 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,888 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

You can't even get that on a server that costs $12k. I just applied an update that fixed an issue caused by the previous one...

#44 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,425 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

I'd like to see my HR record the last two channels simultaneously without having to activate the Double Play (like Tivo has always done)

Record them? TiVo has never done that and that would be terrible.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#45 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

• A "English International" package that features mostly news and some other stations from around the globe - I am thinking CNN International, CBC News, BBC World News, Australia's ABC, Russia Today, EuroNews, Al-Jazeera English, Sky News, etc, etc. The American "news" channels are way too political, and often don't report news for more than 5 minutes, followed by a bunch of talking heads that fight about it for 25 minutes. We need some REAL news on television.

This, a thousand times this. I'd even pay international package pricing and setup an international dish.

Australia's ABC News 24 cannot be offered outside of Australia due to the rights of many of the programs and international news segments they air.

The same goes for CBC News Network, they only have the Canadian rights to the documentaries they air in the evenings and overnight. Which is why Newsworld International left most of those shows out in favor of NHK and DW, replaced BBC World News with an ITN Newscast, and aired lots of produced for the US content instead of CBC Newsworld's rolling news coverage.

BBC World News is distributed in the US (Time Warner just added it nationwide in HD). There are hurtles, but I think they could make it work. Especially if it's 24 hour news networks, but I'd like to see entertainment programming as well. BBC America is just another American cable channel with maybe 5 hours of original British programming a week. It doesn't count. Maybe they have to slice and dice a bunch of channels together to eliminate stuff they don't have rights to, but do it, and don't fill it up with American TV shows. Or, charge me extra. I'll pay to overcome the rights issues.

#46 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

BBC World News is distributed in the US (Time Warner just added it nationwide in HD). There are hurtles, but I think they could make it work. Especially if it's 24 hour news networks, but I'd like to see entertainment programming as well. BBC America is just another American cable channel with maybe 5 hours of original British programming a week. It doesn't count. Maybe they have to slice and dice a bunch of channels together to eliminate stuff they don't have rights to, but do it, and don't fill it up with American TV shows. Or, charge me extra. I'll pay to overcome the rights issues.

I was referring to the Newsworld International era, at the time only PBS affiliates and Discovery via BBC America had the rights to the 6pm BBC World broadcast that CBC Newsworld aired in Canada so Newsworld International replaced them with ITN News. CBC Newsworld has since rebranded to CBC News Network and eliminated the BBC broadcasts, but they also added multiple documentaries during the evening that they only have the Canadian rights to. It's not a matter of charging extra, if someone else has the rights to something they can't show it in the US no matter what the cost. CBC recently went through a bunch of budget cuts resulting in multiple shows being cancelled on their News Network, they have no plans in the budget for a new US feed.

#47 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 449 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

Allow portability of the external e-sata hard drive between Directv DVR's.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#48 OFFLINE   Vinny

Vinny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,094 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

I'd rather have the series links back up to DirecTV's website (e.g. cloud). Frankly, have the whole receiver profile up there (favorite list, config, etc), and when you swap out a receiver, you just pick one of your profiles to download onto that receiver.

In addition to the above...I would like to see:

The iPhone/Android app include:
  • An indication on the guide that a program is scheduled to be recorded.
  • A button to show upcoming DVR recordings.
General Items
  • HD versions of all major network programming (CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox)
  • A way to start a program over if you happen to tune in when the program is in progress. I know we can do this if we happen to want to watch whats in the buffer...I'm talking about on any channel that we tune to. Time Warner allows this on certain channels...however you lose trickplay when starting over.

HR34-700(0x00805)|Networked: Yes via Deca hardwired to Actiontec MI424WR (FiOS)| OTA: No | DOD Enabled: Yes |Mediashare: TVersity |
HDTV: Panasonic Plasma TH-50PZ85U connected via Monster HDMI| Home Theater: Onkyo TX-LR552 connected via coax cable. Whole Home: Yes

HR20-700 (0x07EB)
|Networked: Yes via Deca| OTA: No | HDTV: Hitachi Plasma P42H401 connected via HDMI. Whole Home: Yes

AU9 Slimline | SWM|

#49 OFFLINE   JDB30

JDB30

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

Remote access via DirecTV Everywhere of the recorded programs on my DVR (e.g. "built-in Slingbox").

#50 OFFLINE   gcd0865

gcd0865

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

My wish list:
1. CSN-Philadelphia
2. Have the ability to add significantly viewed neighboring DMAs (in my case, it's < 10 miles away). I'd even pay for it.
3. Have a way to view/update all your WWDVR "to do lists" and season passes from a computer or tablet.
4. I'll second maartena's news wish.
5. Have a really good weather radar app. The one on the "Active" channel is horrible.

Otherwise, I'm really happy with the service.

#2 is not anything that DirecTV can control. You'd have to petition the FCC to get that taken care of.

Actually, the "significantly viewed" law has been in place for some time, for both cable and satellite. Cable companies follow it regularly by including significantly-viewed adjacent-market stations in their channel lineups, while satellite companies mostly ignore it, keeping strictly to single-DMA channel lineups, putting them at a competitive disadvantage in many areas.

http://hraunfoss.fcc...FCC-05-24A1.pdf (see pages 6-13)
http://transition.fc...tions010213.pdf

In the second document, if you check out the listings in the following counties, you'll see examples of cable-provided station offerings from adjacent markets, all in highly-populated areas located between/around large cities:

Anne Arundel, Carroll, Cecil, Dorchester, Frederick, Howard, Kent, Talbot, Wicomico and other counties in Maryland;
Barnstable, Bristol, Franklin and other counties in Massachusetts;
Hunterdon, Mercer and Warren counties in New Jersey.

Satellite companies could easily include these significantly-viewed stations by zip code, but they choose to not do it.

#51 OFFLINE   DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

As many others have mentioned, the ability to transfer recordings from one DVR to another (within same account). That's #1 on my wish list.

2nd item on my wish list (I don't think I've see this request from anyone else):

An upgrade to the software that will allow more than 10 DVRs to be networked together and "see" each other. Currently, a Unified Playlist (from a client or server) can only show recordings from only up to 10 servers at a time.
Slimline, WB616 (2), SWM8 (2), OTA, MRV (U)
Den: Sony KDS-60A3000 -> HR20-700; Sony KDL-40S2000 (5) -> HR20-700 (2) & HR20-100 (3)
Master Bed: Kuro PDP-5020FD -> HR34-700
Master Bath: Sony KDL-26S3000 + PSP -> HR24-200
Daughter's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR20-700
Son's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR24-500
Kitchen: Sharp 20" -> H24-700
Guest: Sharp 20" -> H20-100
Patio: SunbriteTV 3220 -> H25-500
Living Room: Sony 42" XBR Plasma -> HR20-100

Diagram of Setup

#52 OFFLINE   ndfan1993

ndfan1993

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Online DVR management.

#53 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,329 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

The ability to stream HBO GO off my Roku 2HD. Come on DirecTV, you're about the only service provider not in agreement with Roku. :(

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#54 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

I would like to pay only for the channels I watch / record
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#55 OFFLINE   jtbell

jtbell

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

Mentioned by Sixto earlier
Ability to lock a series link to a specific time slot --- especially for HBO shows that run 90 times per week. Let me pick when I want to record it.

And a big dream: I would happily pay for the option to get the direct feed of the networks, so I can record my favorite shows and not have to look at the idiotic weather graphics that my local weathermen put on a week after the fact.
Current Configuration:
HR22-100
Yamaha RX-A710BL
Samsung UN60D7000V
Klipsch RCW-5 in-wall speakers x4
Klipsch RC-53 center
Klipsch KW-100 sub

#56 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,943 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

HBO Go on the Roku
Epix option
WNEP2 HD local
CSN Philly agreement

DIRECTV :Since 5/13/2012
HR34-700 / HR24-500 / HR23-700 / H25-100 / D12-200 /   Roku HD

Living Room       Master bedroom     Bedroom  2         Bedroom 3    Office/Bedroom 4      bedroom 5
Slimline 5  / SWiM 16 with CCK / MRV / 15/2 Mbps Blue ridge cable Internet
Premier / MLB EI /  HD Extra /  Protection Plan

#57 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,943 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

The ability to stream HBO GO off my Roku 2HD. Come on DirecTV, you're about the only service provider not in agreement with Roku. :(

Agree, I have 2 of them, but my friend lets me use his Dishnetwork account so i can use my 2 Roku's.

Would be alot better if Directv would just allow it.

DIRECTV :Since 5/13/2012
HR34-700 / HR24-500 / HR23-700 / H25-100 / D12-200 /   Roku HD

Living Room       Master bedroom     Bedroom  2         Bedroom 3    Office/Bedroom 4      bedroom 5
Slimline 5  / SWiM 16 with CCK / MRV / 15/2 Mbps Blue ridge cable Internet
Premier / MLB EI /  HD Extra /  Protection Plan

#58 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

WNEP2 HD local

WNEP2 isn't available in HD, and hopefully it never will be. WPVI looks horrible anytime live sports are on with Live Well HD on 6.2.

What I rather see is them finally update their ATSC listings so we can get MeTV on 38.2 with the AM21 instead of flipping back to the TV just for one channel. Better yet, bring the scan to the Hx2x's since our market is also served by a lot of translators. (Except for WBRE and WYOU because management can't grasp the concept of terrain blocking reception of their main signal even after the digital transition, despite the protests of their long time engineer who has since retired)

Edited by KyL416, 23 January 2013 - 04:05 PM.

#59 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

Cool Man

• DBSTalk Club
  • 990 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

For DIRECTV to partner up with Tribune Media Services and launch a real-time based Guide Data system for internet connected HD/DVRs, that would update start/end times automatically for events running past there allotted time, and receive programming updates instantly through the internet connection.

They would have to get the major sports channels on board as well as the Big 4 networks and have a way to get the exact info on when events end, but I think it could be done with the internet.

For example: you have a College Football game set to record, its scheduled to air on ESPN2 but the previous game is still airing so as ESPN does often they would put the beginning on ESPNews, a update could be pushed instantly telling the receiver to also begin recording ESPNews for say 15 mins then still be recording ESPN2. This would be all automatic will no customer interaction. Also when the game is finished, an instant update could be pushed to the box to tell it to stop the recording automatically.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DirecTV

5-LNB SlimLine w/SWM16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#60 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

I would like to pay only for the channels I watch / record

Amen

spam firewall