Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What I'd like to see in 2013 from D*

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

EHD transfer flexibility per account, not married to the same DVR.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,026 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

EHD transfer flexibility per account, not married to the same DVR.

+1000000 It can't be a legal issue as Dish already does it. My guess, and this is just a guess, is that the authorization stream doesn't tell a receiver what account it is on, just what it is allowed to receive. This would be a major hurdle, I can think of a couple ways to do it but they would not be easy

My Setup

#63 OFFLINE   vthokies1996

vthokies1996

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

I'd like the ability to manage all of my favorites lists and Season Passes from one place. I don't like having to go update every receiver whenever I want to change my favorite channel list.

I'd also like it if a channel is upgraded to HD, the HD version of the channel automatically replaces the SD version on my favorites list.

#64 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

+1000000 It can't be a legal issue as Dish already does it. My guess, and this is just a guess, is that the authorization stream doesn't tell a receiver what account it is on, just what it is allowed to receive. This would be a major hurdle, I can think of a couple ways to do it but they would not be easy

Directv has an Authentication Server that has along with your Account # all of your DVRs/Receivers with their RID #s and your Billing Account Information, etc. so it should be Very Very Easy for them to do if they decided to do it.

It just isn't High on their Priority List of things to do. It is probably a Nice To Do Thing rather than something that has to be done.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#65 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

More HD channels!

Also it would be nice if we could stream dvr recordings to more devices without nomad and watch live tv on PCs.

#66 OFFLINE   DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523

Godfather

• Registered
  • 479 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

allow me to sort my list however I want and display the results in a new TAB on the LIST screen.

For example - I would like to see every DVR in my Whole House configuration on a separate tab. I would also like to see all movies on a separate tab.
  • Swim LNB
  • HR21-200 Bonus Room
  • HR24-200 Family Room
  • H24-100 Bedroom
  • MRV enabled

#67 OFFLINE   kbxm

kbxm

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

1. Stop treating us long-timers like we don't exist. Give us the new subscriber deals or at least give us the opportunity to get them without having to go through retention (lifetime HD anyone?)

2. <smacking dead horse> Firmware fixes should be regression tested so they don't break other stuff!

3. Speaking of #two, when I set up a search to record a sports events from my local team, can you actually get the channel correct? I get FSN. Not Altitude, FSDetroit, FSTampa (yes I'm making these up) or other regions sports channels. Worked years ago and was broken by a firmware upgrade.

4. Grandfathered permanently means permanently.

5. Fix the website. It sucks. Can't find any useful information on it at all and constantly having to dodge the ads is really annoying.

6. The ability to turn off the Weather Channel apps would be nice. They never work anyway and although there are ways to work around them we shouldn't have to.

7. Ala-carte programming so we can cut the cost down without losing value. In other words, we can get XYZ channel without the rest of the alphabet soup that we're never going to watch in the package.

8. No more two-year commitments for changing small things.

9. Whole-house on my own network without additional cabling or an additional fee. Don't have to support it, but don't charge me for it either.

10. no more restriction on keys for DIRECTV2PC. I used my two keys up YEARS ago when it first came out and wasn't working for me. But new house, new PC, fast fiber in the house, it might be useful if I could actually install it.

Could go on, but I've got to go spray PAM my dish before the ice storm coats it to heavily...

Edited by kbxm, 27 January 2013 - 02:12 PM.
Forgot one...

#68 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

Australia's ABC News 24 cannot be offered outside of Australia due to the rights of many of the programs and international news segments they air.

The same goes for CBC News Network, they only have the Canadian rights to the documentaries they air in the evenings and overnight. Which is why Newsworld International left most of those shows out in favor of NHK and DW, replaced BBC World News with an ITN Newscast, and aired lots of produced for the US content instead of CBC Newsworld's rolling news coverage.

Boy do I miss NWI...

#69 OFFLINE   tool_army

tool_army

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

There are a lot of good ideas here so I will just suggest a very small one that should be easy for D* to implement. Getting to my Future Recordings list in one button press of the remote. Currently it takes 6 which is absolutely ridiculous!

THIS. Why there's not a "link" or button press that allows you to flip back and forth between the list and to-do list is mindboggling to me. I've had numerous different TV providers over the years, most of which were in the DVR era. Directv is the ONLY one I've had where those two screens have no connection with one another.

#70 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,346 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

They would have to get the major sports channels on board as well as the Big 4 networks and have a way to get the exact info on when events end, but I think it could be done with the internet.

And what of those that don't have always-on broadband service?

I can't imagine trying to figure out what each Big Four affiliate is going to do after the indeterminate end of an event. Will they join a program in progress or will they run a carefully timed PSA or infomercial? Will they shift the whole schedule until the news? Does each affiliate have a definitive and invariate plan?

I submit that it is unreasonable to collect and disseminate this information until too late to be of use (especially if you're someone who uses bracketing on your start and end times).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#71 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

1. Fast (1 or 2 button) access to To-do list
2. Restore closed-captioning to a toggle choice (not "Off, D* On, Std CC On", but rather "D* On/Off, Std CC On/Off"

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#72 OFFLINE   shmengie

shmengie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

Gosh, mine seems trite compared to some of these.

I think it'd be neat if I could save snippets of anything I wanted into a "My Clips" folder. Like, say I'm watching a live car chase, and it ends with a spectacular crash. I could rewind a bit, mark starting point "A," play it through the crash, mark ending point "B." I'm prompted to name the clip and hit save.

There you go: Party mix of nip slips, explosions and cute animal tricks!

#73 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,578 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

What, and put Youtube out of business? ;) Great idea, but I think it'd be a warm day in Heaven before that will happen.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#74 OFFLINE   CallMeCoach

CallMeCoach

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

I don't know how much they control this, but I'd love to see HBO's prices dip. There are a lot of shows on HBO that I like but can't see paying the price.

#75 OFFLINE   ndfan1993

ndfan1993

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

THIS. Why there's not a "link" or button press that allows you to flip back and forth between the list and to-do list is mindboggling to me. I've had numerous different TV providers over the years, most of which were in the DVR era. Directv is the ONLY one I've had where those two screens have no connection with one another.

You would think this wouldn't be too hard to tie into the "List" button on the remote, just add a tab to it to allow to see Recording Info - Two button pushes are all that is needed. Not sure why they are behind on this.

What are the odds that we see any of this?

#76 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

I would like to pay only for the channels I watch / record

That's all you pay for now. (I realize you meant something else, but since you and I don't watch the same channels, we're each only paying for the channels we do watch.

You should read this: http://www.slate.com...e_it_seems.html

--------------

Now, back to fantasizing:

Build me a cloud DVR. I don't need all this equipment in my house, a little Roku/AppleTV-type box will do fine, thanks.

Then you can back up my record links, my recordings, etc. You can even store one copy of "The Walking Dead" for all 2 million of us that record it (or whatever amount of de-duplication the copyright holders let you get away).

You can switch to H.265 someday with a new $59 Roku-sized box instead of having to replace many-hundred-dollar DVRs.

Yes, not all your customers will want this like I do. Fine, keep giving them regular old DVRs. I'm in on the cloud thing, though. I'll sign up first.

You'll save millions (billions?) in the long run. Less hardware, fewer service calls (many many fewer).

Oh, and yeah, some trickplay might not be perfectly smooth, but that's OK -- it never has been under MRV either.

I mean, since we're fantasizing....

#77 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,578 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

I don't know how much they control this, but I'd love to see HBO's prices dip. There are a lot of shows on HBO that I like but can't see paying the price.

Then you don't like them quite enough! ;):D
This also is what we'd like to see from DIRECTV, not HBO. :)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#78 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

When I am Managing and Performing Maintenance on my Playlists I would like the position to stay in the same place after I Delete a Recording or Folder.

If there is an Older Recording left in that Folder it takes me down to where those other Recordings are with that same date so it is constantly Resorting based on date.

I then have to get out of the Playlist and then get back in the Playlist if I am up top which is a PITA.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#79 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

...Build me a cloud DVR. I don't need all this equipment in my house, a little Roku/AppleTV-type box will do fine, thanks.

Then you can back up my record links, my recordings, etc. You can even store one copy of "The Walking Dead" for all 2 million of us that record it (or whatever amount of de-duplication the copyright holders let you get away)...

How does it make sense to change from one broadcast to 2 million distributed recordings, stored and played locally, to one stored copy and 2 million downloads hogging a colossal amount of bandwidth? :D

#80 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

How does it make sense to change from one broadcast to 2 million distributed recordings, stored and played locally, to one stored copy and 2 million downloads hogging a colossal amount of bandwidth? :D

Bandwidth is more or less free. And I did some crude math suggesting that based on my current viewing and my understanding of DirecTV's bitrates, I'd be capable of keeping my existing Comcast internet without any risk of overages (and Comcast is in the process of actually raising caps on most plans anyway).

And surely you understand that those DVRs in your house are costing you money, right? They are hundreds of dollars worth of equipment -- that you pay for -- whether DirecTv gives you them "free" or not.

If any of those boxes fail, everything on them is gone.

spam firewall