Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What I'd like to see in 2013 from D*

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

Bandwidth is more or less free...

Why are many ISPs limiting bandwidth use without paying extra?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

or charge so much to come up a driveway when they have service on the road you live on?
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#83 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

or charge so much to come up a driveway when they have service on the road you live on?

Because they can.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#84 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

Wishlist:
-Cloud based backup/restore of settings (Favorites, prefs, series links, etc..)

-More than 50 series link limit.

-Hardware accelerated, triple buffered graphics. UI elements could crossfade on/off screen (Guide/Menu). Caller ID notifications / Delete / Don't Delete question could slide in briskly from the lower right and then slide off smoothly when dismissed. Top banner could slide down when invoked and slide up/off screen when dismissed. Think of the UI polish you take for granted in iPhone/iPad, Android, Windows Vista/7/8, Apple Mac OS, etc... Look at Xfinity X1 DVR to prove its possible. Also Passport Echo on Cisco set tops have nice fades and quick animations that make the system feel real responsive. Check out Android's Project Butter for some technical insight on triple buffering and how it could be done.

-Shortcut to manage recordings. LIST+LIST maybe could take you to the screen where you can view todo or change series link ordering.

-Ability to REMOTELY manage to do list and series link. Also view how much space is free on a DVR from other rooms on MRV, iPad or iPhone. Also do it from web.

-Actual remote control function to iPhone so I don't have to use 3rd party apps (DTV iRemote, WaltzRemote).

-Updated HD version of TV Apps (See Xfinity X1's really cool high res sports app for an idea). When invoking them they should slide on or off screen. None of the Windows 3.1 era "appear and disappear"

-Replacement for DIRECTV2PC. Updated UI similar to iPad. View DVR recordings on PC as well as the guide and same live streaming / on demand content that you can get on network from the iPad.

-True TV Everywhere. Live streaming should be allowed even when away from home.

-Customize-able mini-guide. I would adjust mine to show 3 channels at once instead of 1 (blue button).

-When a channel is updated to HD and you have hide SD duplicates turned on, it should automatically replace the SD version in any favorites list. People are bookmarking the content, so if IFC is in "Favs" list... IFCHD should of automatically taken it's place when it went HD this past week.

-If the above is not possible, then the banners saying "So and so is now in HD!" should be visible so people KNOW to update their favorites list. Currently the banner only shows if the HD version IS in favorites... moot point - I know, I had to manually add it!

-Faster browsing on demand screens. Sometimes it takes awhile to find stuff in on demand because the delay loading the lists of content. Cache it maybe?

-Ability to harness the power of MRV to view the on demand screens from other rooms (H24/H25 boxes for example). If a non DVR is authorized for MRV, it should be able to utilize the DVR on network to pull in channels 1000-1999 so other rooms can select and play on demand content.

-Harness MRV to announce caller ID messages to all receivers if only one has a phone line. Also possibly announce it to iPhone or DIRECTV2PC replacement app when you are on your home network.

-External hard drive ADD to DVR storage pool. Not replace it. Allow USB 2.0 interface in addition to eSATA. Pair it to the ACCOUNT not the Receiver.

-Keep the HD coming!

Nice interface example. XFINITY X1:
http://xfinity.comcast.net/x1/

Edited by cypherx, 02 February 2013 - 05:57 PM.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#85 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,153 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

What about some multi room updates like being able to record to a different drv from the one you are at. Like you have a choice when at a NON Drv box.

Shared Series Mangers

a R icon for show rerecording on a different drv in the guide.

maybe smart push drv to non double up shows when you have more then one box.

Being able to use the a local drv HD for a buffer in MRV to get rid of the control lag.

For one thing better LOT8's / weather apps. At times you can lock up the box with weather alerts. Maybe some thing for HD DVR boxes.

But even a multi city Weatherscan Sd like the one on dish (limited areas) is better.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#86 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 825 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

1. All channels in HD (regardless of whether or not they are available in the same ;)).

2. Unified scheduling and single-button To-Do list.

3. C'mon, let's fix the current and mostly long-time broken stuff (there's still so much of it).

Oh, and an automatic delete filter for anything related to Piers Morgan would be great!

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#87 ONLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,759 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

Here's my KISS Suggestion - - double the limit size of the Series Manager.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#88 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

Make it so I don't have to hit reset every few weeks. And stop charging for HD channels for everyone regardless of package they have.

#89 ONLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

Register recordings to an account instead of the DVR.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#90 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

Register recordings to an account instead of the DVR.

+1. Ditto. Bring It On Directv, you can do it!!! :D
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#91 ONLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

Here's one that wont cost DirecTV any money.

Break down Manage Recordings into its seven parts on the Recordings icon screen.

All they have to do is make six icons.

• ToDo List
  • Series Manager
  • Queue
  • History
  • Purchase
  • Manual Record
  • Record Defaults (Can use the existing Manage Recordings icon)

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#92 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,698 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

Break down Manage Recordings into its seven parts on the Recordings icon screen.

• ToDo List
  • Series Manager
  • Queue
  • History
  • Purchase
  • Manual Record

+1.

Or make LIST>LIST a shortcut to the Manage Recordings screen. ;)

#93 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

• ToDo List
  • Series Manager
  • Queue
  • History
  • Purchase
  • Manual Record

That would be nice, but it would still cost DirecTV time and money for the programmers to make the changes.

I still don't understand why some people insist on messing around in the To Do List so much though. Once I have my recordings set up, and my Series Prioritizer set up I pretty much never go into the To Do List. Abou tthe only time I do is when my hard drive starts getting full I go into it to see what is set to record over the next few days so I know if I need to make sure to watch or delete some recordings to make space. For example right now my wife's DVR only has about 5% free space. I checked the To Do List last night to see how many recordings she has scheduled over the next few days. She had about 6 hours worth so I made sure to delete a few of the 90 episodes of House Hunters we have recorded to make room because she isn't going to have much time to watch TV over the next few days, and I wanted to make sure there was room to get the recordings she really wants, instead of the House Hunters episodes we like, but don't have to see all of them (we are going to start house shopping ourselves soon and it's really neat to see what is out there, and the differences in pricing in different cities).
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#94 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

Sometimes it's as simple as "what's set to record tonight?" I don't remember, let me check.

Sometimes it's just to shuffle things around since we can only record 2 things at once. Canceling something on a cable network because it airs later, whereas something on a local network never reairs.

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#95 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,286 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

Sometimes it's as simple as "what's set to record tonight?" I don't remember, let me check.

Sometimes it's just to shuffle things around since we can only record 2 things at once. Canceling something on a cable network because it airs later, whereas something on a local network never reairs.

This.

And since programs CHANGE their times regularly, it is good to check what is happening. Say on a night on a two tuner DVR, you have both tuners in use and one has to change the channel at 9pm for a program but that night, the previous program runs to 9:01 (this happens more often than you think with NBC and ABC). You lose the 9 pm program. All because you think you have all your passes right.

Or if you watch stuff on channels like Cartoon Network that always mess up the first run date. Or a network decides to burn off episodes on a night you have your tuners all in use. Or programs start their runs and you are going to miss it because everything was working fine for weeks (like when American Idol starts and knocks off 2 hours on two nights).

Or you plan on watching a sporting event and want to see what tuners are available.

Granted, with more tuners in a box (HR34), this is less likely to happen but almost everyone is still using 1 or more 2 tuner boxes.

I don't understand how anyone ever just lets their to do list work itself out. I see conflicts and problems at least a couple times each month during the busy times. You are probably missing things you have no idea you are missing or have very few shows recording.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#96 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

I would like #hashtags to actually mean something on Facebook. Oh, wait.. wrong thing :lol: :D
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#97 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

I think it would be cool (totally just a nerd thing) to see some sort of IPTV stb from Directv that made use of their DIRECTV Everywhere offerings on a TV without needing to attach a tablet/laptop/phone to it. I think that if done well, there is a huge untapped market for discount Pay-IPTV services. Especially to locations with no line of sight to the birds. Just a thought :)
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#98 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

I think it would be cool (totally just a nerd thing) to see some sort of IPTV stb from Directv that made use of their DIRECTV Everywhere offerings on a TV without needing to attach a tablet/laptop/phone to it. I think that if done well, there is a huge untapped market for discount Pay-IPTV services. Especially to locations with no line of sight to the birds. Just a thought :)

I agree!

Also if the signal goes out, allow the DVR to tap into the same feed the iPad app can get.

Keep those iPad streaming channels coming! I notice the first round of the recent HD additions showed up today in the app.

---
HR24-200
H24-200

spam firewall