Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Major problem with 24-500s

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Since the latest NR I've noticed several cases of momentary pixelation, sometimes on DVRs, sometimes on our H25s. When I have tried rewinding when it happens on the DVRs it doesn't repro. It resembles a dropped i-frame when it happens. It may just be that the NR is a bit flakey.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

My wife was just watching an episode of a show in a folder that had 6 episodes left. She says the whole folder deleted, but doesn't remember what she did. Great, that was on a new 24-100. No UPS. Since she doesn't remember and is still extremely testy after having surgery a couple weeks ago, I was just told to forget about it.

The 24-100 is on the other cloud. If she did nothing wrong, I'm beginning to wonder about the NR. But it might have been a case of her pushing the wrong button. Another problem I'll never get a good answer to.

Rich

Wow! That sucks!:eek2:

Who knows what the root cause is but I for one am sure to use the remote in a slow - very deliberate way. There have been too many times that while scrolling through the menus that I've hit 'select' on the wrong thing because I thought it was done moving but a split second before I hit 'select' it moves one more item up or down.

Sorry about the Trouble Rich.

And to add in jest.... My HRs don't have those problems so it must be something in your setup!:lol:

#23 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

Since the latest NR I've noticed several cases of momentary pixelation, sometimes on DVRs, sometimes on our H25s. When I have tried rewinding when it happens on the DVRs it doesn't repro. It resembles a dropped i-frame when it happens. It may just be that the NR is a bit flakey.

I've been seeing pixellation when using trick play, usually at the end of the trick play. Never see it in any place else. But I was seeing that before the NR. Nothing changed about that.

Rich

#24 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

Wow! That sucks!:eek2:

Who knows what the root cause is but I for one am sure to use the remote in a slow - very deliberate way. There have been too many times that while scrolling through the menus that I've hit 'select' on the wrong thing because I thought it was done moving but a split second before I hit 'select' it moves one more item up or down.

Sorry about the Trouble Rich.

And to add in jest.... My HRs don't have those problems so it must be something in your setup! :lol:

Ooo, there's the dreaded "Boomerang Effect". That's some memory you've got... :lol:

Rich

#25 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

Ooo, there's the dreaded "Boomerang Effect". That's some memory you've got... :lol:

Rich

While there may be some 'Boomerange Effect' I wasn't really referring to you!:lol:

#26 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

So, after all the nastiness, I found the shows she erased on one of my 20-700s that aren't on the clouds. You would not believe how fast that 20-700 is. It was almost full (2TB drive) and I got it down to 20% Available in about 5 minutes. Try that on a 24 that's part of a 10 HR MRV.

Rich

#27 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

So, after all the nastiness, I found the shows she erased on one of my 20-700s that aren't on the clouds. You would not believe how fast that 20-700 is. It was almost full (2TB drive) and I got it down to 20% Available in about 5 minutes. Try that on a 24 that's part of a 10 HR MRV.

Rich

I'd like to try but I'd have to add a few HRs to my 'cloud' first!:)

#28 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

While there may be some 'Boomerange Effect' I wasn't really referring to you!:lol:

I think I was the first one to tell you that when you had just gotten the 22-100s. My wife is a great button pusher, I watch her use a remote with great trepidation. One of the first things I taught my son about computers was, if you don't know the answer to the question, don't do anything, come and ask me what to do. Now if my wife would just take that simple thought to heart...

Rich

#29 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

I'd like to try but I'd have to add a few HRs to my 'cloud' first!:)

I'll save you the effort, it takes..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................a lot longer.

Rich

#30 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

This has occurred twice with my (only) HR24-500. When in a list of any kind, once you had used the remote to move down the list, the DVR would scroll down the list on its own, with the light on the front of the HR24 pulsing as if it was receiving IR commands. It was not a remote problem, because it happened both with the regular DirecTV remote and with my Pronto remote. Rebooting did not solve the problem, nor did powering down. On each occasion, this problem lasted several hours, and then just went away, seemingly without any action on my part.
Interestingly, the problem has been reported by some amateur radio operators, and in their cases traced to RF interference seemingly with the touch panel itself. One person reported the problem seemed to be linked to another piece of equipment using a touch panel that was placed on top of the HR24. When the equipment was moved the problem went away. Another poster said moving his router from the top of the Hr24 solved the problem. Nothing definitive, but it all seems to point to an RF interference issue with the touch panel.
Rich, in your case maybe one "cloud" was picking up RF interference and the other one not.

#31 OFFLINE   hjones4841

hjones4841

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

I recently installed 7 HR24-100s. Are they more stable than the 500s? So far so good, but it has only been 2 weeks.

#32 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

This has occurred twice with my (only) HR24-500. When in a list of any kind, once you had used the remote to move down the list, the DVR would scroll down the list on its own, with the light on the front of the HR24 pulsing as if it was receiving IR commands. It was not a remote problem, because it happened both with the regular DirecTV remote and with my Pronto remote. Rebooting did not solve the problem, nor did powering down. On each occasion, this problem lasted several hours, and then just went away, seemingly without any action on my part.
Interestingly, the problem has been reported by some amateur radio operators, and in their cases traced to RF interference seemingly with the touch panel itself. One person reported the problem seemed to be linked to another piece of equipment using a touch panel that was placed on top of the HR24. When the equipment was moved the problem went away. Another poster said moving his router from the top of the Hr24 solved the problem. Nothing definitive, but it all seems to point to an RF interference issue with the touch panel.
Rich, in your case maybe one "cloud" was picking up RF interference and the other one not.

I can't imagine what kind of RF interference could have caused my problem. I don't live near anything that could have done that. Purely residential area. Certainly nothing in my home. And to all four 24-500s in just that one cloud? I would think it would have affected both clouds if it was a massive RF surge (do massive RF surges even exist?).

We had no trucks with radios on the court that day as far as I know.

The front panels all worked properly, it certainly was a problem caused by remote commands.

A couple years ago I had an insane 24-500. That went berserk and had nothing to do with remote commands. Things happened that made no sense at all. That was a different experience than what I went thru this time. That 24-500 never fixed itself. I actually kept it a week or so just to show people what it was doing. When I showed my son what was happening, he was convinced I had a remote hidden and was toying with him. He searched me, searched the room the HR was in, looked all over the place and finally, believed me. He showed his friends what was happening and they couldn't believe it either. No other HRs were affected when all that occurred. Nothing I could do fixed it. Couldn't use the front panel either, same things happened.

But all four 24-500s on that one cloud? Mind boggling.

Rich

#33 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

I recently installed 7 HR24-100s. Are they more stable than the 500s? So far so good, but it has only been 2 weeks.

The two 24-100s on the affected cloud worked properly all thru the problems with the 24-500s. Don't know if that helps, my 24-500s are usually very stable too.

Rich

#34 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,062 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

I've had the HR24-100 since they were released and never had a problem. I think they are all good some folks have better "luck" than others.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#35 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

I've had the HR24-100 since they were released and never had a problem. I think they are all good some folks have better "luck" than others.

Yup, I'm the kind of guy you want to see walk into a crap game. Just can't win and I do know how to play. Sometimes it seems as if the only kind of "luck" I have is bad luck.

The 24-100s are the only 100s I've ever had that worked.

Rich

#36 OFFLINE   hjones4841

hjones4841

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

Yup, I'm the kind of guy you want to see walk into a crap game. Just can't win and I do know how to play. Sometimes it seems as if the only kind of "luck" I have is bad luck.

The 24-100s are the only 100s I've ever had that worked.

Rich

Thanks, guys. Makes me feel better. I replaced a combo of HR20s, 21s and 22s with the 24s. Got fed up with the sluggishness of the old ones. Am converting from an old sidecar dish to SWM16 today. Hope to get a little better network reliability via coax that I was getting with Cat 5 cables. Also looking forward to getting rid of the BBCs.

#37 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

Thanks, guys. Makes me feel better. I replaced a combo of HR20s, 21s and 22s with the 24s. Got fed up with the sluggishness of the old ones. Am converting from an old sidecar dish to SWM16 today. Hope to get a little better network reliability via coax that I was getting with Cat 5 cables. Also looking forward to getting rid of the BBCs.

You will see a difference on you home network.

Rich

#38 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

I can't imagine what kind of RF interference could have caused my problem. I don't live near anything that could have done that. Purely residential area. Certainly nothing in my home. And to all four 24-500s in just that one cloud? I would think it would have affected both clouds if it was a massive RF surge (do massive RF surges even exist?).

We had no trucks with radios on the court that day as far as I know.

The front panels all worked properly, it certainly was a problem caused by remote commands.

A couple years ago I had an insane 24-500. That went berserk and had nothing to do with remote commands. Things happened that made no sense at all. That was a different experience than what I went thru this time. That 24-500 never fixed itself. I actually kept it a week or so just to show people what it was doing. When I showed my son what was happening, he was convinced I had a remote hidden and was toying with him. He searched me, searched the room the HR was in, looked all over the place and finally, believed me. He showed his friends what was happening and they couldn't believe it either. No other HRs were affected when all that occurred. Nothing I could do fixed it. Couldn't use the front panel either, same things happened.

But all four 24-500s on that one cloud? Mind boggling.

Rich

That was just as an FYI, I don't have a definite cause either. Just that others have reported the same issue with what seems to be an RFI component.
My remotes were operating in IR. Did not matter which remote I used, same problem. Put remote in other room, problem did not stop. Not a remote problem, definitely an issue with the HR24-500. Front panel controls worked fine.

#39 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

That was just as an FYI, I don't have a definite cause either. Just that others have reported the same issue with what seems to be an RFI component.
My remotes were operating in IR. Did not matter which remote I used, same problem. Put remote in other room, problem did not stop. Not a remote problem, definitely an issue with the HR24-500. Front panel controls worked fine.

Well that kills that idea. I was gonna put the 24-500s' remotes in IR. Nutz. Must be a commonality to all this. Seems almost like the IR/RF sensors on the units went bad at the same time and did the same thing on four units. Does that make any sense? None of this makes any sense to me.

If all six of my 24-500s did the same thing, I'd feel better about making some kind of guess. But 4 out of 6? I could figure out a way to blame the whole MRV system in my home, but that doesn't really make any sense to me. If that were true, why didn't the 24-100s and the 20-700 do the same thing? Different chip sets? Somehow, that doesn't make any sense to me either. I can't wrap my mind around this... :nono2:

Rich

#40 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

Well that kills that idea. I was gonna put the 24-500s' remotes in IR. Nutz. Must be a commonality to all this. Seems almost like the IR/RF sensors on the units went bad at the same time and did the same thing on four units. Does that make any sense? None of this makes any sense to me.

If all six of my 24-500s did the same thing, I'd feel better about making some kind of guess. But 4 out of 6? I could figure out a way to blame the whole MRV system in my home, but that doesn't really make any sense to me. If that were true, why didn't the 24-100s and the 20-700 do the same thing? Different chip sets? Somehow, that doesn't make any sense to me either. I can't wrap my mind around this... :nono2:

Rich

FYI, over at the DirecTV tech support forum every report of this SPECIFIC problem has been for an HR24-500.

spam firewall