Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Major problem with 24-500s

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Registered
  • 518 posts
  • LocationN Central Florida

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

When I have power failure one of my 500's thinks there are no tuners available so then it is a boot order procedure. A normal reset like say all three dvrs reset in menu at same time all is ok. That box also lost its "Tuner 2:SAT, Record" and was brought back from the dead tuner 2. Never lost that again.This all was in previous version or versions of firmware. Other than that no issues with the new firmware for me. All is good with it so far. Remotes good on all 3.

Edited by adamson, 05 January 2013 - 07:55 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

FYI, over at the DirecTV tech support forum every report of this SPECIFIC problem has been for an HR24-500.

That is interesting. Has anyone reported a multiple 24-500 crash such as mine experienced?

I was pondering this last night and remembered a "doorbell battle" I had with someone in our neighborhood (I still have no idea who it was). Whoever it was had just installed a wireless doorbell that must have been just like the 3 I have in my home. As soon as he tried it, all 3 of mine went off. Took my spare RF switch out and fired back. He fired back, I fired back and this went on all afternoon. I'm thinking, I'm winning, he can't know what's going on. Anyway, after a few hours of solid fun, I had to go out. Tried starting my car up from inside the house, didn't work. Went outside, stood next to the car and tried again, didn't work. Tried another dongle and that didn't work either. Had to actually use a key to get in and finally drove off. Headed for the dealership to get new batteries and stopped to pick up the paper. Locked the car as I was walking away from it and the dongle worked! Tried all the commands and they all worked. Drove home and the dongle worked. Tried the other dongle and that worked.

What I gathered from that is that my neighbor and I flooded the air with RF signals and the car shut all remote commands down. Lost that battle.

That still doesn't account for the 24-500s that are in IR mode, but I have to wonder what would have happened if I had had 24-500s in my home at the time.

Rich

#43 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,111 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

I don't have an HR24-500 so I cannot testify to any hands-on experience with that model.

In my case...there's an HR24-100 here.

To date....I know of plenty of folks with multiple HR24-500's that enjoy them and do not have any major problems.

On the other hand...I've read about some -500 users with specific issues.

So it's a mixed bag of reports on that unit.

What is indeed a differentiator with the HR24-500 is that this specific model is the first unit and only HR24 unit not using a Broadcom processor inside.

As the firmware was maturing early on...there were symptoms and issues unique to that unit in comparison with its sister models in the HR24 family. I suspect there are certain -500 model variations in the firmware, perhaps ever so slight based on the different processor.

Is the processor is some way a consideration of -500 only model issues? :shrug:

I certainly am not qualified to know either way. But it is something that has been sitting there in the background as we've watched the HR-500's roll out for a while now.

You folks with the units in the real world are the best experts based upon your own actual use.

What I do know for sure is that there are plenty of satisfied folks using the HR24-500 every day.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#44 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

That is interesting. Has anyone reported a multiple 24-500 crash such as mine experienced?

I was pondering this last night and remembered a "doorbell battle" I had with someone in our neighborhood (I still have no idea who it was). Whoever it was had just installed a wireless doorbell that must have been just like the 3 I have in my home. As soon as he tried it, all 3 of mine went off. Took my spare RF switch out and fired back. He fired back, I fired back and this went on all afternoon. I'm thinking, I'm winning, he can't know what's going on. Anyway, after a few hours of solid fun, I had to go out. Tried starting my car up from inside the house, didn't work. Went outside, stood next to the car and tried again, didn't work. Tried another dongle and that didn't work either. Had to actually use a key to get in and finally drove off. Headed for the dealership to get new batteries and stopped to pick up the paper. Locked the car as I was walking away from it and the dongle worked! Tried all the commands and they all worked. Drove home and the dongle worked. Tried the other dongle and that worked.

What I gathered from that is that my neighbor and I flooded the air with RF signals and the car shut all remote commands down. Lost that battle.

That still doesn't account for the 24-500s that are in IR mode, but I have to wonder what would have happened if I had had 24-500s in my home at the time.

Rich

Not seen anyone with multiple HR24-500s post. But just to confirm the HR24-500 has a problem with RF interference screwing up the front panel, see this http://forums.direct...PageId=10472402 and a few similar posts. Have not had confirmation that the OP was talking about the -500 but everyone else with the problem was running the -500 version.
The problem occurs with HR24s in both the RF and IR modes. Most people aren't radio "hams" so they are not seeing the problem continuously unlike the people referenced in the post.

#45 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Registered
  • 518 posts
  • LocationN Central Florida

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

I have 3 HR'500s and one H24 on ice. None have remote issues. No issues...thank god etc etc. You all know me and I don't want to complain in my possible final months.

#46 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

Not seen anyone with multiple HR24-500s post. But just to confirm the HR24-500 has a problem with RF interference screwing up the front panel, see this http://forums.direct...PageId=10472402 and a few similar posts. Have not had confirmation that the OP was talking about the -500 but everyone else with the problem was running the -500 version.
The problem occurs with HR24s in both the RF and IR modes. Most people aren't radio "hams" so they are not seeing the problem continuously unlike the people referenced in the post.

There was nothing wrong with the front panels of my 24-500s, only the remote control commands. I realize they go thru the front panel, but I had absolutely no problems with using the front panels to navigate around. We have never had radio ham user problem in my neighborhood, but I did on the other side of town when using an antenna. As soon as I switched to cable, the problems went away.

Rich

#47 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

There was nothing wrong with the front panels of my 24-500s, only the remote control commands. I realize they go thru the front panel, but I had absolutely no problems with using the front panels to navigate around. We have never had radio ham user problem in my neighborhood, but I did on the other side of town when using an antenna. As soon as I switched to cable, the problems went away.

Rich

Yes, I think that is a clarification. If you use the front panel manually it works OK. What seems to be happening is that the interference triggers what looks like the last remote control command. Even the light pulses as the list scans, as if the remote is still being used. If you use the front panel the scanning stops. As soon as you use the remote to move down one entry in the list, the continuous scanning starts up, and continues even if you hide the (IR) remote. The people who have posted all report the same thing. I guess the interference is screwing up the remote control processing logic in the HR24-500.

#48 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

Yes, I think that is a clarification. If you use the front panel manually it works OK. What seems to be happening is that the interference triggers what looks like the last remote control command. Even the light pulses as the list scans, as if the remote is still being used. If you use the front panel the scanning stops. As soon as you use the remote to move down one entry in the list, the continuous scanning starts up, and continues even if you hide the (IR) remote. The people who have posted all report the same thing. I guess the interference is screwing up the remote control processing logic in the HR24-500.

All four of my affected 24-500s were in RF mode as were the two 24-500s on the other cloud that weren't affected. Have you seen any reports about multiple 24-500s being affected at precisely the same time? Nothing makes any sense to me. Why not all six of them? Why only four?

Rich

#49 OFFLINE   old7

old7

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

I have 4 HR24-500s, two in one room and two in another. All are set to use IR. I've never had any problems with them.

Side note: I also have 2 HR20-700s in the same room as two of the HR24-500s and an H24 in a separate room.

#50 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

I have 4 HR24-500s, two in one room and two in another. All are set to use IR. I've never had any problems with them.

Side note: I also have 2 HR20-700s in the same room as two of the HR24-500s and an H24 in a separate room.

I kinda doubt if you're gonna see many posts that echo what I went thru. I also had 24-100s and 20-700s on that cloud and they had no similar problems. All in RF mode.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...