Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Contractors vs. Dish installers

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Badfish740

Badfish740

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

I had Dish installed nearly five years ago when we moved into our home. The home had been wired for cable and I wasn't familiar with satellite systems at all (I grew up with cable) so I didn't know what to expect. I muddled through with the person on the phone when I called Dish and told them what I thought I needed. They ended up giving me two receivers, one DVR and one non DVR. I was under the impression that I needed a box for each TV. When the installer arrived (a contractor that did both Dish and DirecTV installs) he was not very helpful either (and installed the two boxes even though I only had two TVs), destroyed a recently planted mum by stepping on it repeatedly getting on and off his ladder while installing the dish, and didn't really explain much about how the system worked other than "here's how you fast forward, rewind, etc..."

After hating Dish for a while, regretting getting it, and considering going to cable, I found DBStalk, learned a lot, found out what the Hopper was, and got excited about getting it installed. I ordered the Hopper and prepared by running most of the wiring myself (after consulting diagrams found on this site) and prepared to deal with another frustrating install experience. To my surprise, that morning a Dish Network van pulled up with a very knowledgeable and professional installer who walked me through each step of the process, explained everything, and even helped me wire the system in a way that will allow for easier expansion once I'm ready to add additional Joeys. I'm sure that not every contractor is terrible, and that not every Dish installer is great, but just thought I'd share my experience.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   chaney

chaney

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

I completely understand your experience the first time around, but heres the truth, I am a contractor for an RSP(regional Service Provider) for dishnetwork and the experience you receive from me is the same as a DNS technician that works directly for dish. It all honestly depends on the person and how well their customer service skills are. But when its a private contractor that installs both dish and direct they were most likely a authorized retailer for both and they do very poor installs that usually have to be reinstalled because their not up to code and give almost no customer education. I am sorry to hear you had such a terrible experience the first time around.
If its a dish question just ask me I install so I can answer almost any question related to Dish.

spam firewall