Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question - How to Change Wireless Bands?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gator5000e

gator5000e

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts
  • LocationWinter Park, Florida

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

I installed a new router this weekend without any issues. But being a noob to wireless tech, I did not connect the HR34 to the 5G band, I don't think. I appear to get much better performance with the 5G band on this router.

I have been all through the set up screens in setting and I can't see anyway to update or change the router, let alone the band. And I could not find any discussions on this site either (assuming I looked in the correct places). I have not tried just disconnecting the router as I assumed the HR34 will remember it's there and just reconnect with the last settings.

So, does anyone know if there is a way to choose another band that the router is broadcasting on?

Thanks.
GO GATORS!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

None of the receivers incoporate wireless including the HR34.

Do you have it connected to a physical LAN line to the router, or are you using deca units to incoporate the connection into the coaxial line, or did you add a wirless cinima connection kit?

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,701 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

You haven't given a lot of info here.

"I'd guess" you'd need to turn off the 2.4 GHz in your router, leaving only the 5 GHz.
Then reset the network defaults and re-run the network setup. Your router should broadcast its "ID" [name] over the 5 GHz and then you can connect to it again.
After this "you may" be able to turn on the 2.4 GHz in the router if you need to.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

[Regarding dual bands in general]

Each band will have a unique SSID. If you have a dual band router, you should have separate setup option for each band.

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,701 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

[Regarding dual bands in general]

Each band will have a unique SSID. If you have a dual band router, you should have separate setup option for each band.

Good to know, as I don't have one.

So the OP needs to reset the network defaults and select the correct SSID used for the 5 GHz band.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,339 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

I always name the SSID according to the band, eg. jonesG or jonesN.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#7 OFFLINE   gator5000e

gator5000e

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Thanks, guys. Sorry for the lack of info, not really sure what you need to know. The system is set up as the D* tech set it up. As far as my router is concerned, the router does broadcast separate SSIDs for each band (and the default names allow me to differentiate between the two) but when I re-run set up it doesn't list any of them. Even after resetting the defaults. It's sort of connected and wants to stay connected to the same router. If I do re-run set up, the set up just says connect now and when I do that it just tells me you are connected to the internet.

When I first ran the setup after installing the new router, it saw the different routers in my general area - I live in a town home - but I don't remember if I connected to the 2.4G or the 5G and can't figure out how to check or how to change it.

So the best bet is to turn off the 2.4G and re-run the set up? If it was connected to the 5G then I assume it will proceed as I have mentioned above - it will just reconnect. If it wasn't connected to the 5G then it should see the 5G as a new router, hopefully. Does that sound right?
GO GATORS!!!

#8 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

I always name the SSID according to the band, eg. jonesG or jonesN.

Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz can handle n.

#9 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 805 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz can handle n.

Which is I have mine named lastname.N and lastname.N5! :D

To answer the OP's question, you'll have to hold the little green reset button down on the back of your Wireless CCK for about 10 seconds. You'll need to hold it down with a paperclip. The lights on it should go off, start flashing, etc.
Then you'll go to Settings & Help->Settings->(this is on your DTV DVR)->Network Setup->Restore Defaults then choose either repeat network setup, connect now, or get connected after that. Choose the connection type as Wireless, ignore anything about "you will need" and hit continue. It should say checking wireless adapters, then list the SSIDs available. Chose your 5GHz SSID. Enter password, and you're done.
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,701 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Thanks, guys. Sorry for the lack of info, not really sure what you need to know. The system is set up as the D* tech set it up. As far as my router is concerned, the router does broadcast separate SSIDs for each band (and the default names allow me to differentiate between the two) but when I re-run set up it doesn't list any of them. Even after resetting the defaults. It's sort of connected and wants to stay connected to the same router. If I do re-run set up, the set up just says connect now and when I do that it just tells me you are connected to the internet.

When I first ran the setup after installing the new router, it saw the different routers in my general area - I live in a town home - but I don't remember if I connected to the 2.4G or the 5G and can't figure out how to check or how to change it.

So the best bet is to turn off the 2.4G and re-run the set up? If it was connected to the 5G then I assume it will proceed as I have mentioned above - it will just reconnect. If it wasn't connected to the 5G then it should see the 5G as a new router, hopefully. Does that sound right?

You need to first reset the network defaults.
You might even reboot the receiver before trying to setup the network again.

If you still have problems, then reset the WCCK, which can be done with a paperclip on the recessed button at the top of the WCCK's connectors.
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   gator5000e

gator5000e

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Thanks, guys. I will try that. I should add that the new router is one of the new 802.11ac routers R6300 by Netgear). Will this be an issue? Seems to have connected fine to whichever channel I am now connected to. Thanks again.
GO GATORS!!!

#12 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Thanks, guys. I will try that. I should add that the new router is one of the new 802.11ac routers R6300 by Netgear). Will this be an issue? Seems to have connected fine to whichever channel I am now connected to. Thanks again.

That router has separate setups for each band. Just label them uniquely so you know which one is the 5GHz band. Then when you set up whatever will connect to it, set it up using the 5GHz SSID (assuming it's a dual band device).

I have the R6200, so PM me if you need help.

#13 OFFLINE   gator5000e

gator5000e

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

The 6300 labels the the 5G as such out of the box so that part should be easy. Is there any way to test the download speed to see which band I get better performance with?
GO GATORS!!!

#14 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

The 6300 labels the the 5G as such out of the box so that part should be easy. Is there any way to test the download speed to see which band I get better performance with?

You *should* get similar results on each band. However, the 2.4GHz band tends to be a bit more crowded, so there is a chance of better performance on the 5GHz band. I test out about the same on my 6200.

If you have an Android phone, there is a handy app called WiFi Analyzer that will show what other WiFi signals are around competing with yours. You can see if yours is on the same channel as the others. It may exist for iPhone too, but I'm not sure.

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,701 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

Another [free] app I use is: http://www.metageek....ducts/inssider/
I use it on my laptop and move it around to check signals.
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

Your home network, even the wireless bands(any of them) are most likely still faster than your ISP bandwidth, unless you have some massive connection to your internet provider. For example if you have a 10M Comcast service, even wireless G is quite a bit faster. Most people's speed bottleneck is outside of their houses, not inside.

#17 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

Your home network, even the wireless bands(any of them) are most likely still faster than your ISP bandwidth, unless you have some massive connection to your internet provider. For example if you have a 10M Comcast service, even wireless G is quite a bit faster. Most people's speed bottleneck is outside of their houses, not inside.

Wireless G caps out at about 17-20 mb/s throughput. A lot of people have faster internet than that (I'm at 35ish), but your point is valid. Any wireless N will be faster than anything but Google Fiber.

#18 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,701 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

Wireless G caps out at about 17-20 mb/s throughput.

"About" leaves room for "us" that get closer to 35+ Mb/s.
A.K.A VOS

#19 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

"About" leaves room for "us" that get closer to 35+ Mb/s.

I find it extremely hard to believe that anyone is getting anywhere near 35 Mb/s on G. Just ain't happening.

The fastest it is even capable of is 27 Mb/s.

#20 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,701 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

I find it extremely hard to believe that anyone is getting anywhere near 35 Mb/s on G. Just ain't happening.

The fastest it is even capable of is 27 Mb/s.

Be that as it may, it was/is the case here. I could post a screen shot of the device that measured it, but then I'd need to call Harry the Hammer, to mitigate the breach.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall