Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question - How to Change Wireless Bands?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

Be that as it may, it was/is the case here. I could post a screen shot of the device that measured it, but then I'd need to call Harry the Hammer, to mitigate the breach.

All I am saying is that it is literally impossible to get faster than 27 Mb/s on G, and really hard to get much over 20.

My real point was only to say that wireless G can certainly be the bottleneck.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,209 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

I installed a new router this weekend without any issues. But being a noob to wireless tech, I did not connect the HR34 to the 5G band, I don't think. I appear to get much better performance with the 5G band on this router.
Thanks.

So, you do have the WCCK? Too far away from the router to the '34? How had you set it up prior to the new router?

In any event, either band has plenty of room to carry the signals; it's the incoming that will be the slowdown when, if and as it occurs.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#23 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

All I am saying is that it is literally impossible to get faster than 27 Mb/s on G, and really hard to get much over 20.

My real point was only to say that wireless G can certainly be the bottleneck.

I have to disagree. While I know I won't get:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1357187366

I also "know" I've seen more the 27Mb/s on my G.

"Someday" maybe I can post a screenshot.
A.K.A VOS

#24 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

I've only been able to get a little over 20 with my 'g' wireless. With my 'n' wireless I get around 50 doing Internet speed tests. I don't get much higher than 50 when using my gigabit wired connection as my Internet connection maxes out between 50 and 60 (usually).

I could run some speed tests between a wired computer and a wireless computer tomorrow to get the full results but I would expect 'G' to max out around 21 or 22 and 'N' to max out somewhere between 70 and 80.

#25 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

Wireless G caps out at about 17-20 mb/s throughput. A lot of people have faster internet than that (I'm at 35ish), but your point is valid. Any wireless N will be faster than anything but Google Fiber.

You are in a very small minority with internet speeds in that range....you've gotta know that right? Noone here can offer anything remotely close to that yet.

#26 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

"About" leaves room for "us" that get closer to 35+ Mb/s.

Hmm... Maybe you have some kind of 'enhanced' 802.11g router? Technically G is rated at 54mbs max and when you include overhead that should put the maximum actual throughput 26 or 27.:confused:

#27 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

Hmm... Maybe you have some kind of 'enhanced' 802.11g router? Technically G is rated at 54mbs max and when you include overhead that should put the maximum actual throughput 26 or 27.:confused:

"Standard" AT&T U-verse 2Wire.
I really wouldn't have said I got more if I didn't have a client that reports what it's actual connection speed is.
A.K.A VOS

#28 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:41 AM

I really wouldn't have said I got more if I didn't have a client that reports what it's actual connection speed is.

Just trying to figure out how/why you are getting higher speeds than what '54g' is rated at - that's all...

#29 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

The AT&T U-verse routers are usually 2Wire RG 3800HGV-B Routers. These are Hyper-G devices, so getting 35Mbps on a 802.11g connection is possible under good conditions.

The main limiting factor (aka "overhead") in wireless is the retransmission of dropped packets. If you have a router that logs them, you can check the dropped packet count and you'll see that wireless usually has at least a 10% drop rate, and often 2 or 3 times that, depending on the level of interference. This is why 5Ghz oftens performs better (fewer devices on the band and less noise).

The main problem with 5Ghz is that it penetrates solid objects (like walls) less readily than does 2.4GHz, so the effective range will be a bit less all things being equal.

To the original poster's issue - is the DirecTV WCCK even capable of 5GHz operation? Honestly, I'd be surprised to learn that they were shipping a dual band device as early as when the WCCK came out. I use a wired CCK so I don't know for sure what the wireless model can do.

It might be more practical to move the router to a different 2.4GHz channel. Many routers come defaulted to channel 6, making the middle of the band very crowded. Moving to channel 1 or 11 can often make a big difference. If you have an Android phone or tablet there is a nifty little app call "Wi-Fi Analayzer" that will show you all the visible wireless networks, their channels and their relative strengths. It will even suggest the best channel for you to use.

Personally, we use wired connections wherever possible. We have a gigabit Ethernet backbone with an Asus RT-N66U dual band router connected to FiOS 75/35 Mbps service. We can download a 30 minute SD program from DirecTV on demand in 5 minutes and most of the time HD content comes down at about twice real time (IOW, 30 minutes for a 60 minute download).

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#30 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

Just trying to figure out how/why you are getting higher speeds than what '54g' is rated at - that's all...

Some wireless routers employ not only standard 802.11g, but also utilize advanced technology to accelerate 802.11g connections beyond the standard performance level. Compared to base 802.11g routers rated at 54 Mbps, these enhanced products offer 108 Mbps. While these 108 Mbps routers are backward compatible with ordinary 802.11g and older Wi-Fi equipment, they often cost more than standard 802.11g gear and often require other devices on the network to be configured specially and have specific mathfing technology wireless nic cards in order to achieve any speed increase. Xtreme G, Super G & SRX are some terms used by D-Link and Linksys for their models that incoporate this technology.

#31 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,479 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

CCKW specs from the Solid Signal website.

Technical Information
Wi-Fi Standard: IEEE 802.11n (draft)
Bluetooth Standard: Not Applicable
ISM Band: Yes
UNII Band: Yes
ISM Maximum Frequency: 2.40 GHz
UNII Maximum Frequency: 5 GHz

Wireless Transmission Speed: 54 Mbps
Wireless Security: WPA-Personal WPA2-Personal WPS

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#32 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

OK, now you've got me interested as well. I "connect" at 54 on my g wireless..I have excellent signal strength in my place, but I do not get 54mb/s throughput, noone does on regular old g. You can get close to 30 as the other poster suggests. Are you saying that you can run a throughput test and get 35mb/s on standard g wireless? I want to make sure we're talking about apples and oranges here.

#33 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

Yep - that would explain it. That's why I asked if he had some form of 'enhanced' G network. It would be quite a trick to get regular old 54g to run at those speeds. I thought maybe VOS had even more magical powers than we already know he has!

The AT&T U-verse routers are usually 2Wire RG 3800HGV-B Routers. These are Hyper-G devices, so getting 35Mbps on a 802.11g connection is possible under good conditions.

The main limiting factor (aka "overhead") in wireless is the retransmission of dropped packets. If you have a router that logs them, you can check the dropped packet count and you'll see that wireless usually has at least a 10% drop rate, and often 2 or 3 times that, depending on the level of interference. This is why 5Ghz oftens performs better (fewer devices on the band and less noise).

The main problem with 5Ghz is that it penetrates solid objects (like walls) less readily than does 2.4GHz, so the effective range will be a bit less all things being equal.

To the original poster's issue - is the DirecTV WCCK even capable of 5GHz operation? Honestly, I'd be surprised to learn that they were shipping a dual band device as early as when the WCCK came out. I use a wired CCK so I don't know for sure what the wireless model can do.

It might be more practical to move the router to a different 2.4GHz channel. Many routers come defaulted to channel 6, making the middle of the band very crowded. Moving to channel 1 or 11 can often make a big difference. If you have an Android phone or tablet there is a nifty little app call "Wi-Fi Analayzer" that will show you all the visible wireless networks, their channels and their relative strengths. It will even suggest the best channel for you to use.

Personally, we use wired connections wherever possible. We have a gigabit Ethernet backbone with an Asus RT-N66U dual band router connected to FiOS 75/35 Mbps service. We can download a 30 minute SD program from DirecTV on demand in 5 minutes and most of the time HD content comes down at about twice real time (IOW, 30 minutes for a 60 minute download).

Some wireless routers employ not only standard 802.11g, but also utilize advanced technology to accelerate 802.11g connections beyond the standard performance level. Compared to base 802.11g routers rated at 54 Mbps, these enhanced products offer 108 Mbps. While these 108 Mbps routers are backward compatible with ordinary 802.11g and older Wi-Fi equipment, they often cost more than standard 802.11g gear and often require other devices on the network to be configured specially and have specific mathfing technology wireless nic cards in order to achieve any speed increase. Xtreme G, Super G & SRX are some terms used by D-Link and Linksys for their models that incoporate this technology.

#34 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

Yep - that would explain it. That's why I asked if he had some form of 'enhanced' G network. It would be quite a trick to get regular old 54g to run at those speeds. I thought maybe VOS had even more magical powers the we already know he has!

Just a fair setup with a 2Wire RG 3600HGV router:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1357226265

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

A.K.A VOS

#35 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,038 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

CCKW specs from the Solid Signal website.

Technical Information
Wi-Fi Standard: IEEE 802.11n (draft)
Bluetooth Standard: Not Applicable
ISM Band: Yes
UNII Band: Yes
ISM Maximum Frequency: 2.40 GHz
UNII Maximum Frequency: 5 GHz

Wireless Transmission Speed: 54 Mbps
Wireless Security: WPA-Personal WPA2-Personal WPS

How can the W-CCK be listed as 802.11n compatible, yet have a wireless transmission speed of only 54 mbps as though its Wireless-G? :confused:

#36 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,479 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

How can the W-CCK be listed as 802.11n compatible, yet have a wireless transmission speed of only 54 mbps as though its Wireless-G? :confused:

I do not know. It is over my head in wireless for sure.
There was a question earlier about it's capability and I found the spec and just pasted it for a reference for others.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#37 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

Because it can connect to a 5 GHz band?
Being a client and not an access point, does it matter if it can only be 54 Mb/s?
A.K.A VOS

#38 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Just a fair setup with a 2Wire RG 3600HGV router:

Just a 'fair' setup that uses 'HyperG' rather than just plain-ol' G... :)

#39 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

Just a 'fair' setup that uses 'HyperG' rather than just plain-ol' G... :)

:shrug:
It is just what I have.
A.K.A VOS

#40 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,209 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

Gator-

Lots of side discussion.... how are you making out now?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...