Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I just completed my initial 2-year contract

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   carillon

carillon

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

I definitely want to keep my service as is but am curious about upgrading my main DVR from an HR24-500 to an HR34 Genie. Since my agreement has been satisfied and I am now month-to-month, what is my best option for upgrading?

Thanks

Edited by carillon, 02 January 2013 - 03:24 PM.

SlimLine-5 SWM-8-LNB Dish (HD Service / WHDVR)
HR34-700 Genie / Sharp 52LE700UN HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA
C31 Genie RVU Client / Dynex HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA
HR24-500 / Panasonic TC-P54S2 / HDMI / Networked - DECA
H24-700 / Toshiba SDTV / Networked - DECA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,237 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

Honestly the best thing you can do is call. Write down everything you are looking to get so you don't forget to ask for it while you are on the phone. I have no idea what they will offer you for discounts but the only way to find out is to call.

Let us know how it works out.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#3 OFFLINE   KoRn

KoRn

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

Just went through the same thing a couple weeks ago. You have to call and see what they offer. I got them down to $48 and that was just for install. I got the box for free. Even paying the $48 kinda sucked because all that was done was swapped box from point A to B. He moved the HR24-500 from the living to the bedroom. And the new Genie is now in the living room. Something I could have done. Tech told me Directv is hard on this and will not allow a customer to do this. He said in case any type of "issue" arises during a Genie install. A tech is automatically dispatched to install it. They also gave me Showtime for 3 months free and $5 additional dollars off my bill for 6 months. I did not ask for these and they done it as a thank for being a "valued customer". Works for me. I also do not have to call in to cancel Showtime. It will cancel automatically after 3 months I was told by the rep. Some people get the box easily. Some do not. I really had to haggle them down to get it to $48. I was not trying to pull a fast one either or cared about extras others get. I was only interested in the new box and once again. We are signed for another 2 years and perfectly happy with that.

#4 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 934 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

I also do not have to call in to cancel Showtime. It will cancel automatically after 3 months I was told by the rep.

:nono2::nono2::nono2:

Unless this is something new it will not happen, you have got to call and cancel.

#5 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

They also gave me Showtime for 3 months free and $5 additional dollars off my bill for 6 months. I did not ask for these and they done it as a thank for being a "valued customer". Works for me. I also do not have to call in to cancel Showtime. It will cancel automatically after 3 months I was told by the rep.

I got a call today from D* offering me the HD extra pack free for three months. I know I could have gotten it on my own via the D* website. The caller told me that I could cancel online. I expect that that's not the case, and I'll have to call in to cancel it. That's what I've had to do in the past.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#6 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

I definitely want to keep my service as is but am curious about upgrading my main DVR from an HR24-500 to an HR34 Genie. Since my agreement has been satisfied and I am now month-to-month, what is my best option for upgrading?

Thanks

No one here can tell you that. Call DirecTV.
DTV = Digital Television

#7 OFFLINE   KoRn

KoRn

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

Its not new. They gave me Starz for free a while back for 3 months and it canceled automatically. I did not have to call in. I was even given a date when it would be turned off.

:nono2::nono2::nono2:

Unless this is something new it will not happen, you have got to call and cancel.

#8 OFFLINE   carillon

carillon

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

Honestly the best thing you can do is call. Write down everything you are looking to get so you don't forget to ask for it while you are on the phone. I have no idea what they will offer you for discounts but the only way to find out is to call.

Let us know how it works out.

Thanks for the reply Scott... besides the Genie, I really don't want anything else. I'll give them a call and see what they say. I'm not planning on threatening to cancel etc., just hoping to get a free Genie for another 2-year deal.

#9 OFFLINE   carillon

carillon

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

No one here can tell you that. Call DirecTV.

Of course but I'm asking for people to share their experiences... I plan on calling and thanks for the reply.

#10 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

Of course but I'm asking for people to share their experiences... I plan on calling and thanks for the reply.

Everyone has a unique situation based on who they talk to, what their account and sub history is, and what they were seeking. Just call them.
DTV = Digital Television

#11 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

If you have a premium service on the bill and it says $0 at the top of the bill, it will cancel itself.

If it has full price at the top of the bill and discounts at the bottom, you have to call in to cancel it.

They have both options though I believe they can only have Starz and Showtime cancel automatically(possibly the sports pack).

#12 OFFLINE   carillon

carillon

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

Okay... as I said, I called DirecTV and found them very good to work with. Keep in mind, my whole goal was to get a Genie to replace my current HR24-500 HD/DVR.

I called the main number, told the automated attendant that I wanted to cancel two of my 6 receivers. That kicked me off to retention where I explained that I would like to cancel to of my receivers that are not currently being used. They explained there would be no problem with that and went ahead and deactivated them. The CSR mentioned that I would now save $12 on my monthly bill.

I said, that's great... every little bit helps and I asked to see if my 2-year agreement was done. The CSR confirmed that I was done and wanted to know if I was planning on continuing with DirecTV. I told them I was considering it but really would like to replace my existing HD/DVR with a Genie if I was going to continue with DirecTV.

The CSR said that they could definitely help me with that. I'm not going to mention prices but here's what I ended up with after the CSR worked on a "package" for me as a "thank you" for my loyal business over the past two years.

I really have no idea if I need all of this, but the bottom line is that I will be getting a Genie at a very steep discounted price.

Here's what I will have after Saturday...
1 - Genie (New) (Deeply discounted)
1 - Genie client (New) (FREE)
1 - HD Receiver (New) (FREE)
1 - My original HR24-500 HD/DVR
1 - Cinema Connection kit (New) (FREE)
1 - New 2-year agreement (New)

What I gave up...
2 - Standard Def Receivers
2 - Deactivated Standard Def Receivers

Here's the best part... the CSR gave me a $XX/month - 12 month bill credit and waived the $X monthly DVR fee! So in 3 months I will have saved enough with the credit and waived DVR fee to pay for the Genie at it's discounted price. I'm very pleased with the whole transaction.

Now, I have to read up on the Genie and Genie client to see how it will work together with my existing HD/DVR. Do I even need the Cinema Connection kit? I already have the internet connected to my current HD/DVR.

#13 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

Sounds good. Will the HR34 be installed where there is an Ethernet connection? If so, no CCK is needed as you can plug the Ethernet directly into the HR34. If not, you will need the CCK to bridge your home network to all of your receivers.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#14 OFFLINE   carillon

carillon

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

Sounds good. Will the HR34 be installed where there is an Ethernet connection? If so, no CCK is needed as you can plug the Ethernet directly into the HR34. If not, you will need the CCK to bridge your home network to all of your receivers.

- Merg

Thanks Merg... the HR34 will be installed where the existing HR24-500 is. So that confirms I will not need the CCK.

#15 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

Thanks Merg... the HR34 will be installed where the existing HR24-500 is. So that confirms I will not need the CCK.

Some installers will insist on it. Let them install it and after they leave, you can disconnect it.

- Merg

#16 OFFLINE   carillon

carillon

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

Will I still be able to use my HR24-500 to record programming? I'll be moving it to the bedroom and have the HR34 installed in the main family room. If I can still use it to record, will I be able to view it on the HR34 or just local to the TV it's attached to?

Sorry to change topics under my original post.

#17 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

With Whole Home, you'll be able to watch and delete shows from either receiver no matter which one you are using. In order to set up recordings, you'll need to be in front of the receiver you want the recording to be on unless to are using the Internet or iPhone/iPad app to set them.

- Merg

#18 OFFLINE   norwestie

norwestie

• Registered
  • 21 posts
  • LocationWest Linn, OR

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

I called the other day to "cancel my service". I told the rep that D*sh was offering $39/mo with free Hopper. She offered the Genie for $50 + $50 for intall. I hesitated and she put me on hold again. This time it was Genie for free, $50 install and $30 monthly discount on my bill for a year. The installer just left and I know have an H34 Genie replacing one of my receivers, a SWiM-16 installed and everything hooked up and working great. Gotta love D*

#19 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

I called the other day to "cancel my service". I told the rep that D*sh was offering $39/mo with free Hopper. She offered the Genie for $50 + $50 for intall. I hesitated and she put me on hold again. This time it was Genie for free, $50 install and $30 monthly discount on my bill for a year. The installer just left and I know have an H34 Genie replacing one of my receivers, a SWiM-16 installed and everything hooked up and working great. Gotta love D*

It appears you got a good deal. I got free Genie and free install but I been off contract for some time. But I didn't get the $30 per month. Maybe you really didn't have to cancel. But at least, you didn't lie. Good job.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...