Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

FOX Soccer Channel

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   bigwilly087

bigwilly087

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

I agree they'll probably do a good job with the video of the games, bring us most games on a variety of channels none of which cost $15 a month to subscribe to, show them all in HD and not have any or too many commercials.

I'm worried they'll dredge up 10 or more Americans (some of whom have never called soccer before) to do the commentary off the TV screens instead of contracting English commentators (like ESPN did with Ian Darke) or using the world feed with commentators based at the grounds. But I guess we'll have to wait till August to find out!

I can't provide I quote because I can't remember where I read it, but shortly after they acquired the rights the head of NBC Sports said that they hear clearly from fans that they want the game presented by those from the UK, and they said they hear the message loud and clear and that's the direction they are going.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   iceburg02

iceburg02

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

I'm worried they'll dredge up 10 or more Americans (some of whom have never called soccer before) to do the commentary off the TV screens instead of contracting English commentators (like ESPN did with Ian Darke) or using the world feed with commentators based at the grounds.

this

#53 OFFLINE   rwmair

rwmair

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

I can't provide I quote because I can't remember where I read it, but shortly after they acquired the rights the head of NBC Sports said that they hear clearly from fans that they want the game presented by those from the UK, and they said they hear the message loud and clear and that's the direction they are going.

I never saw/read this, but its very promising if they deliver on this!

#54 OFFLINE   shyvoodoo

shyvoodoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

I agree they'll probably do a good job with the video of the games, bring us most games on a variety of channels none of which cost $15 a month to subscribe to, show them all in HD and not have any or too many commercials.

I'm worried they'll dredge up 10 or more Americans (some of whom have never called soccer before) to do the commentary off the TV screens instead of contracting English commentators (like ESPN did with Ian Darke) or using the world feed with commentators based at the grounds. But I guess we'll have to wait till August to find out!

This is my biggest fear also.. JP Dellacamera is the voice of American soccer. I don't want to hear him do the Manchester Derby.. Just PLEASE NBC don't get the "we know what americans want" attitude and bring in a bunch of former soccer players in to do "expert commentary"..

#55 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

Here's a reason to be thankful Fox is losing the EPL.

http://www.awfulanno...p-coverage.html

The Champions League and FA Cup matches the next 2 years will be impossible to watch...

#56 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

Here's a reason to be thankful Fox is losing the EPL.

http://www.awfulanno...p-coverage.html

The Champions League and FA Cup matches the next 2 years will be impossible to watch...

Yes it might sound better but you have to think about how much NBC messes up the Olympics every other year. I think that they will break up the halves in to 10 minute spots so needless to say I think it will not be live.

#57 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 167 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

Yes it might sound better but you have to think about how much NBC messes up the Olympics every other year. I think that they will break up the halves in to 10 minute spots so needless to say I think it will not be live.

Everything NBC Sports has said about its planned EPL coverage indicates you are WAY off with your speculation. Every game tape delayed? Really?

#58 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

Everything NBC Sports has said about its planned EPL coverage indicates you are WAY off with your speculation. Every game tape delayed? Really?

OK but just wait till you here the announcers say we have to go to a commercial break. I hope I am wrong. But I hope going forward bein sports gets more live games.

#59 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

I rather watch soccer games on ESPN or FOX than NBC, too much emphasize on commercials, but then again I have the Spanish package and doesn't carry NBC Sports anyway so no way of knowing how they handle soccer games compared to other sports on the main network.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#60 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

I rather watch soccer games on ESPN or FOX than NBC, too much emphasize on commercials, but then again I have the Spanish package and doesn't carry NBC Sports anyway so no way of knowing how they handle soccer games compared to other sports on the main network.

I have premium package along with fox soccer and I called and was given the 400 series that should be 14.99 for free. So I know that the Spanish networks do a better job and I don't even understand Spanish.

#61 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 167 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

OK but just wait till you here the announcers say we have to go to a commercial break. I hope I am wrong. But I hope going forward bein sports gets more live games.

Does NBC interrupt its MLS broadcasts with commercials? NO. So, I guarantee you that you are wrong that NBC will interrupt EPL broadcasts.

beIN has the rights to plenty of live games --- they are just too inept to figure out how to air them live. beIN is great for La Liga, has really shafted Serie A fans, and has flat out buried the N Power Championship. And the poor people in Canada have really been screwed by beIN.

#62 OFFLINE   larryharry59

larryharry59

Mentor

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

The future of soccer on tv is picture in picture advertising. Basically what you see in Nascar, Indy and F1.

#63 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

Does NBC interrupt its MLS broadcasts with commercials? NO. So, I guarantee you that you are wrong that NBC will interrupt EPL broadcasts.

beIN has the rights to plenty of live games --- they are just too inept to figure out how to air them live. beIN is great for La Liga, has really shafted Serie A fans, and has flat out buried the N Power Championship. And the poor people in Canada have really been screwed by beIN.

You just wait and watch NBC put people that do not have a clue about soccer as the announcers.

#64 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 167 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

You just wait and watch NBC put people that do not have a clue about soccer as the announcers.

Again, no.

NBC won't subject themselves to a Gus Johnson-esque experiment, as we are about to endure on Fox.

#65 OFFLINE   BuffaloTF

BuffaloTF

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

What in the history of NBC Sports Network or their Olympic soccer coverage do you base this on? Their MLS broadcasts are outstanding. Their Olympic coverage is interruption free, and uses the same stable of announcers. These are soccer minds and former players... Arlo White is the lead announcer for MLS and Olympics (2012 forward)... JP Dellacamera is in their stable and has been doing it for almost 30 years... Andres Cantor is available thru Telemundo... Kyle Martino does color, a former player... John Strong and Robbie Earle team up for NBC when they're not calling Portland games. Brian Dunseth does color, another former player... everyone they've used is familiar with soccer as a former player or longtime broadcaster... and there's no commercials.

#66 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 167 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

What in the history of NBC Sports Network or their Olympic soccer coverage do you base this on? Their MLS broadcasts are outstanding. Their Olympic coverage is interruption free, and uses the same stable of announcers. These are soccer minds and former players... Arlo White is the lead announcer for MLS and Olympics (2012 forward)... JP Dellacamera is in their stable and has been doing it for almost 30 years... Andres Cantor is available thru Telemundo... Kyle Martino does color, a former player... John Strong and Robbie Earle team up for NBC when they're not calling Portland games. Brian Dunseth does color, another former player... everyone they've used is familiar with soccer as a former player or longtime broadcaster... and there's no commercials.

Exactly!

All these people warning us of NBC's plans for constant commercial breaks and using non qualified announcers obviously have read nothing regarding NBC's stated plans, or, have not watched televised soccer since TNT did the 1990 World Cup.

#67 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

The Olympics were on tape delay at least the ones everyone wanted to see. They will put on let's say the MAN-U vs Chelsea game on here at 8pm in prime time and not @ noon.

#68 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 167 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

The Olympics were on tape delay at least the ones everyone wanted to see. They will put on let's say the MAN-U vs Chelsea game on here at 8pm in prime time and not @ noon.

The Olympic soccer games were shown live. NBC is not tape delaying games.

And most people would see running EPL games in prime time as a good thing, but this little thing called a time difference makes showing live prime time games impossible.

#69 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

The Olympic soccer games were shown live. NBC is not tape delaying games.

And most people would see running EPL games in prime time as a good thing, but this little thing called a time difference makes showing live prime time games impossible.

They will tape delay because they would make more money. How many people watch 11 am game compared to how many would watch an 8 pm game.
Just wait and see I just hope I get to see them all live like I do now.

#70 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 167 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

They will tape delay because they would make more money. How many people watch 11 am game compared to how many would watch an 8 pm game.
Just wait and see I just hope I get to see them all live like I do now.

Believe what you want to. We'll see how it plays out in August.

#71 OFFLINE   BuffaloTF

BuffaloTF

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

The Olympics were live all day long across several channels and naturally online, and through their apps on iPhone and Android. Prime time coverage was naturally tape delayed, and was provided in addition to their live coverage. They've already stated they intend to air all games, live, across several NBC owned channels as well -- 6 live games across 6 channels, spillover games available online and thru their apps. NBC Sports, USA, Bravo, MSNBC and CNBC will be used. Telemundo and Mun2 will show duplicate coverage of 2 games, in Spanish. Free, over the air NBC will be used to show 18-20 premiere live games. There will be pre and post match shows, and a weekly wrap up show.

This is the exact opposite of what Fox does, who tape delays games and often doesn't even use their final game pick in a given weekend.

Their official press release is included here, and is quite to the point on their plans.

The only thing that could make me happier than NBC getting EPL rights, is if they acquire Ian Darke and Macca from ESPN -- whilst allowing him to call US games on ESPN, and return there for his current 2014 World Cup contract.

Edited by BuffaloTF, 07 February 2013 - 06:29 PM.

#72 OFFLINE   jmpfaff

jmpfaff

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

I quite enjoy watching soccer. But let's be real here, ManU-Chelsea would get KILLED in primetime in the US. Absolutely slaughtered.

Part of the rating value of European soccer is that a lot of it airs on Saturday and Sunday mornings before the US sports get going for the day. Not all of it, but a decent portion of it. Tape delaying it would kill one of its pluses. (And those who need to attend a "Gamblers Anonymous" meeting can bet on live events at 8 AM on a Sunday morning)

You may not like how NBC covers things, but they tape delay the Olympic Figure Skating & Gymnastics because it will get HIGHER ratings in primetime, not to cost themselves rating points.

#73 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

I quite enjoy watching soccer. But let's be real here, ManU-Chelsea would get KILLED in primetime in the US. Absolutely slaughtered.

Part of the rating value of European soccer is that a lot of it airs on Saturday and Sunday mornings before the US sports get going for the day. Not all of it, but a decent portion of it. Tape delaying it would kill one of its pluses. (And those who need to attend a "Gamblers Anonymous" meeting can bet on live events at 8 AM on a Sunday morning)

You may not like how NBC covers things, but they tape delay the Olympic Figure Skating & Gymnastics because it will get HIGHER ratings in primetime, not to cost themselves rating points.

That's what I am saying its all about where they will get there ratings. I understand that soccer would get killed vs football but if you put it in primetime before football starts it might be the highest rated on Saturday or Sunday evenings.

#74 OFFLINE   shyvoodoo

shyvoodoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

That's what I am saying its all about where they will get there ratings. I understand that soccer would get killed vs football but if you put it in primetime before football starts it might be the highest rated on Saturday or Sunday evenings.

Uhhh no.. You got to remember, a lot of sports fans watch College Football saturday afternoons and evenings.. Also theres UFC and boxing on saturday evenings as well...

I myself watch my soccer on saturdays early and watching football/UFCs and boxing in the afternoon.. Don't fool yourself and say "nobody watches college football" either.. Nebraska pulls in 70,000 every home game, more than any soccer game thats NOT featuring the Mexican national team, one of the best drawing teams in the world.. Second, Prime Time hours are usually 7-11pm. It would not be smart to put a soccer game on at that time, no matter who is playing.. WIth all the networks showing college football, its basically on from 9am-10pm PST.. On saturdays, ill watch 2-3 soccer games in the morning, then football by 11... Works perfectly.. Lets not forget those who like to watch Super 15 Rugby, like myself :)

Ben
Voodoo

#75 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

No I meant before NCAA and NFL starts up there season. I also think fox will move ufc to fxx that way it stays as channel everyone wants.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...